How Far Can a Gas Truck & an Electric Ford Lightning Go Towing the Same Camper

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
EV technology is basically still in it's infancy; a better comparison would be an EV vs an old carbureted V8 truck or something more primitive. I think you'd see a closer competition in terms of overall range.
Kind of where my criticism was coming from, I didn't watch the tfl vid, but does anyone really need to watch a video to know that an EV truck today is not going to have anywhere close the range of an ice pickup when towing or not towing ? For towing they may never match the range.

Years ago when the TFL guys were getting started they were clearly highly biased towards mfg that provided them free vehicles (some wouldn't) for their often asinine tests - and they admitted as such. But their influence has grown .
Sponsored

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I would LOVE an adequate EV tow vehicle, but such does not yet exist. We also have a Plug-in Prius and an EV Rav4, and they are great for what they do, but only the Ranger can serve as our tow vehicle (6K lb BS HQ15). I sold my cherry '02 F150 Harley Davidson race truck in order to get the Ranger. Really miss that built V8 with ported blower and headers sometimes, but absolutely love my Ranger as its replacement. With that BS trailer we tend to go fairly far "off-road", further than we should sometimes. No way a measly 86 miles of range would get us out and back from a charging station to anywhere we consider fun. I keep hoping something will come to market that meets our needs - even seriously looked at getting a Tesla Semi and building it out into an off-roading rig (too pricey for now, and way too big for the roads we travel). Still, as others have noted, we are at the very beginning of transportation electrification. Fingers crossed that the technology and offerings continue to bloom.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know how much truth there is to this. But my wife was looking at Highlander Hybrid a few years ago, not EV. I knew nothing about hybrids etc.. I asked the dealer, what’s the life span of these batteries mounted in the car? Do they last forever? He told me they have about a 10 year life span before they may need to be replaced :shock: Now just exactly how much would that set us back I asked, he didnt have an answer for me. That was the end of that, we got a gas Highlander Limited. So, Will the batteries in the Lightning have to be replaced at some point?
I had a buddy who was a service writer for Tesla. Tesla batteries have a service life of 5 years, at which point they need to be replace.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I had a buddy who was a service writer for Tesla. Tesla batteries have a service life of 5 years, at which point they need to be replace.
Thats crazy! 5 years is a joke.. They would probably have to take half the car apart to get to the batteries to boot. And the cost, forget it..

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
TFL does a great comparison with the new Lightning and an ICE GMC for towing range. Spoiler....The ICE gets double the range. :shock:

I think we (well most) all knew what the outcome would be but I never expected it to be this bad. Getting only 86 miles out of a charge with an averaged size trailer is unacceptable. Also 45 minutes to charge to 75% is a long time to have to wait for a charge. What are you supposed to do if you're in an area like AZ when it's 110 outside while it's charging or say MI when it's single digits outside? No wonder they haven't posted the towing range on these Lightnings yet.

I'd probably only get 86 miles with my current MPG! =D

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO REPLACE A TESLA BATTERY?
Tesla batteries are designed to last between 300,000 and 500,000 miles, so replacement shouldn't be a major concern for most drivers. It's estimated that the cost to replace a Model 3 battery will be in the $3,000 to $7,000 range.

WHAT IS THE LIFE OF A TESLA BATTERY?
Tesla batteries are designed to last between 300,000 and 500,000 miles, so replacement shouldn't be a major concern for most drivers. During that time, battery capacity will degrade in the sense that the range the battery can provide for driving will decrease slowly. Field data indicates that capacity will decrease by about 5 percent in the first 50,000 miles but will then degrade much more slowly. Ten percent battery degradation will not occur until about 200,000 miles of driving.

Link:https://evannex.com/pages/the-cost-... and 500,000,for driving will decrease slowly.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
you are wrong, the govt will build with free money ( sarcastic voice missing )
The gov is pretty good at freeing me from my money, no doubt there.

Anything left is quickly taken away by the latest and greatest thing that @AzScorpion is pushing!

Ugh, this cult thing arrived today ...

pink.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
I hope your dump is close by? :giggle:?
It is!

And I didn't bring my phone but I did a small dump run today. Including going to a spot I've never been!

I had a small box of asphalt bits from the end of the driveway and asked where to dump those. The Public Works guy said: "drive through that gate and to the bottom of the hill."

Man, did I feel special! There was even a sign on the gate that said Authorized Vehicles Only!

Woohoo, call me Mr. Dump! =P

Plus, Soupie ticked over the 500 mile mark with this momentous dump run! =D

dump.gif

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I think the Tesla battery warranty is 8 years/100K miles. Everything I have read indicates the actual service life to be about double the warranty period.

Last edited:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO REPLACE A TESLA BATTERY?
Tesla batteries are designed to last between 300,000 and 500,000 miles, so replacement shouldn't be a major concern for most drivers. It's estimated that the cost to replace a Model 3 battery will be in the $3,000 to $7,000 range.

WHAT IS THE LIFE OF A TESLA BATTERY?
Tesla batteries are designed to last between 300,000 and 500,000 miles, so replacement shouldn't be a major concern for most drivers. During that time, battery capacity will degrade in the sense that the range the battery can provide for driving will decrease slowly. Field data indicates that capacity will decrease by about 5 percent in the first 50,000 miles but will then degrade much more slowly. Ten percent battery degradation will not occur until about 200,000 miles of driving.

Link:https://evannex.com/pages/the-cost-of-a-tesla-the-costs-of-the-tesla-models-maintenance-charging-and-more#:~:text=a Tesla Battery?-,Tesla batteries are designed to last between 300,000 and 500,000,for driving will decrease slowly.
I think I read that exact article, I thought they did a real world test and the Model 3 battery replacement came in at like $16K for parts and labor.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
the comparison should go from the very beginning ( start of manufacturing a vehicle) to the end of use ( when said vehicle is no longer of use). What can be recycled & what cannot be reused. I believe the ice vehicle is more cost efficient & more eco friendly. Add to that, our environment would be better off when we stop cutting down so many trees. Trees make oxygen for the planet. Parking lots & cities hurt the environment……

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
While EV’s are only getting started I’ve run some numbers on the lighting for my current situation, keep in mind we have a expedition to do any towing or traveling with but for me the lightning could save me a tremendous amount of money for a daily driver if I was to compare it to a comparable f150 powerboost

I drive 35k a year so at current fuel prices based on 21 mpg I’ll spend 7650 with gas at 4.59 per gallon

the lighting based off 280 miles of range will need to be charged 125 times to go 35k miles.
I currently pay 9c per kWh so to charge the truck would cost me close to 12$ to charge completely at home .. 12x125=1500 and that number could be lower with free charging at my work
Sponsored