Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
All electric car, sure I'd be interested.
PHEV truck, again it interests me.
All electric truck, no way.
When Telsa revealed the concept for their nonexistent Cyber Truck, this guy did a good video on the problems with electric trucks.
Why Teslas Are Bad At Towing (Today) - YouTube

and

Tesla's Cybertruck Tug-of-War Stunt Was Pointless - YouTube
There are many different usage models for pickups. If you’re one of the millions of contractors who drive a truck every day, but rarely very far, an EV pickup would suit you just fine. Also, it’s easy to sit on the sidelines and bash the undisputed market leader, responsible for more innovation than all others combined. Get in the arena and compete! Tesla seems far from finished, and most others have no meaningful presence in the EV market. VW is their only real competitor outside of mainland China.
Sponsored

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
I'm with Jason B, I'd much rather have a Plug Hybrid for a truck. But that's just me.

But I'm all for the competition.

Side note: I actually love the look of the Rivian. Also agree this Toyota looks better than the current Taco. I think it's because the front end is cleaner and not as tacky/chunky

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Yes for PHEV truck & yes for EV car. ?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Well after a spell of time Ford decided to bring back the Ranger before embarking on EV trucks. So will Toyota bring back the Celica or Supra before they introduce an EV? Don’t hold your breath!
Mmmm..... the supra IS back. It's a hideous re-skinning of a BMW.

Toyota also apparently wants to being back the MR2 as well... but again.. its going to be another brands existing model with a re-skin. Some Porsche.

Toyota doesn't have the balls.. mabey even the ability to make themselves a sports car anymore. Both of those nameplates have big shoes to fill.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
The only way Toyota can give the Tacoma any torque is to put an electric motor in it.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
While we're waiting for ZPEDs I would say that electric truck with on-board generator would be optimal choice. It's been used decades (since 1912 at least) in heavy machinery already and we know it solves efficiency, versatility and energy density equations. That's also what I liked in my previous Chevy Volt, the electric drive with 600km+ range extension charged in few minutes (e.g. by filling the tank).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I assume it'll still be ridiculously uncomfortable for humans to sit in it?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It’s good to give credit where it’s due. Toyota has 10 different electrified models now, with 2 PHEVs among them. This is not counting the Lexus models, which are far from badge-engineered Toyotas. I’m on my third Prius now, a 2021 Prius Prime PHEV. Toyota practically owns this market sector, and I expect their full EVs to be every bit as good.
Not to take away from your other points. But Lexus is the epitome of badge engineering.

The entire brand was created because it was thought that Americans wouldn't buy expensive Toyotas.

Toyota Altezza

BF737046_9afda5.jpg

Lexus IS300
2003_lexus_is_15820631675ef66e7dff9f98764d2003_lexus_is_1582063166fcd208c652a0e1-af90-4ead-b2b...jpg

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist