Fuel in oil

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I commented before that my Ranger was a little above the top hole with 5,000 miles on it and smelled like gas. Well I just got my oil changed and the dealer almost filled it to the top hole so I would say it is gaining very little. Nice it is not really an issue for me.
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
here is my report.

oil .jpg
This is one of those reports that make me question the benefit of having this done at all. You’ve got lower than normal viscosity and they can only attribute it to “operational factors”. What’s that supposed to mean? They want to attribute it to fuel in the oil, but the numbers dont support it. This seems to call into question the relationship of low viscosity to fuel in oil on any of these reports, since there are apparently ”operational factors” that can not be quantified that can lead to the same result.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
It may point to these engines just being hard on the oil. From past experience with the mazdaspeed engine, the factory fill was 5w20, then 5w30, and in some cases (turbo burning oil) they began to recommend 5w40. Fuel dilution wasn't a big problem but the engine liked to shear the oil. I always ran 5w40 and that worked out until I sold it. Some guys ran 5w30 WalMart oil in their race engines and others ran boutique race oils in their dailies.. I plan to find an approved oil on the thicker end of the 5w30 spectrum, most likely the motul 8100 eco-lite. I doubt it matters but peace of mind is worth the extra 20 bucks.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Yeah with that 5 to 6 % fuel dilution I figure I need all the help with viscosity I can get!
I had a good conversation with my service manager about wanting to use 5w40. He said Ford Engineering will never give me a written statement approving of 5w40 but also said that my warranty will not be denied because of it (his opinion obviously). He said Ford would have to prove the 5w40 caused the failure and given the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act that would be difficult to do. He understood my reasoning for using 5w40 when I showed him the viscosity numbers on my last two Blackstone reports.

I tow a 4000 lb boat a lot and I’m going to upgrade to 5w40 on the next oil change. I’ll keep an eye on the dipstick after that but I’m not going to worry about it. Never before loved a vehicle like I do this Ranger.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had a good conversation with my service manager about wanting to use 5w40. He said Ford Engineering will never give me a written statement approving of 5w40 but also said that my warranty will not be denied because of it (his opinion obviously). He said Ford would have to prove the 5w40 caused the failure and given the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act that would be difficult to do. He understood my reasoning for using 5w40 when I showed him the viscosity numbers on my last two Blackstone reports.

I tow a 4000 lb boat a lot and I’m going to upgrade to 5w40 on the next oil change. I’ll keep an eye on the dipstick after that but I’m not going to worry about it. Never before loved a vehicle like I do this Ranger.
I'm still running strong with 5w40. I've been running it for about 5000 miles. This is my second change now!

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Finally a report I can live with. My last oil change I told dealer I wanted Full Synthetic Motorcraft and NOT the blend. Sent in my 5th oil sample in 10,000miles and this time changed it myself and used Mobil One full synthetic. I'm done stressing over this stuff and will just drive my truck and change the oil to full synthetic every 5,000miles. Good luck to those with this problem.
Attached is my latest lab report.
Dan

Attachments

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Quick update. I have been waiting for Ford to figure out what to try next. As I have stated before, Ford is unwilling to share the last 2 oil sample analysis that they sent out. For those that don't know, they did share the results of the first 3 oil samples, all of which were double digit fuel dilution. Pics of those samples are posted in this thread. My dealership told me that Ford has sent out a notice to the dealerships that they will no longer consider oil sample analysis for fuel dilution issues for any of the Ford DI engines. Ford is claiming that fuel dilution is normal in their DI engines. With ~ 2000 miles since the last oil change, my oil level is 3/4" above the twist.

In the meantime, my truck has developed a massive hesitation, that feels like the engine stalling, when trying to accelerate moderately to heavy. It literally feels like the engine shuts off, and the truck comes to almost a complete stop before coming back to life, with me hard on the accelerator pedal spinning tires. I have had 4 close calls in the past 2 weeks with the truck "stalling" while pulling out into traffic. Three near misses and one minor rear end job, where a guy in a Chevy pickup hit me from behind as he was trying to follow me out quickly, as I was making a right hand turn onto the main drag near my work. Luckily, I had the hitch in place, and other than a couple scuffs to hitch, no damage. The guy who hit me did not even stop when I pulled over. Oh well.

Anyway, no wrench light or anything, which is strange, since I have gotten one in the past, several times, for no apparent reason. So the dealership is going to look at the truck next week, but told me Ford will not authorize any warranty work for fuel dilution in the crankcase oil, but they will try to figure out what is causing the hesitation. I guess the engine will need to let go before Ford will do anything about the rising oil level in the crankcase. Hopefully, in the meantime, this truck doesn't kill me. I will ask to see the notice that the dealership told me that Ford sent out, when I drop my truck off. If this is true, I believe I may finally end a 40+ year loyalty to Ford.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Quick update. I have been waiting for Ford to figure out what to try next. As I have stated before, Ford is unwilling to share the last 2 oil sample analysis that they sent out. For those that don't know, they did share the results of the first 3 oil samples, all of which were double digit fuel dilution. Pics of those samples are posted in this thread. My dealership told me that Ford has sent out a notice to the dealerships that they will no longer consider oil sample analysis for fuel dilution issues for any of the Ford DI engines. Ford is claiming that fuel dilution is normal in their DI engines. With ~ 2000 miles since the last oil change, my oil level is 3/4" above the twist.

In the meantime, my truck has developed a massive hesitation, that feels like the engine stalling, when trying to accelerate moderately to heavy. It literally feels like the engine shuts off, and the truck comes to almost a complete stop before coming back to life, with me hard on the accelerator pedal spinning tires. I have had 4 close calls in the past 2 weeks with the truck "stalling" while pulling out into traffic. Three near misses and one minor rear end job, where a guy in a Chevy pickup hit me from behind as he was trying to follow me out quickly, as I was making a right hand turn onto the main drag near my work. Luckily, I had the hitch in place, and other than a couple scuffs to hitch, no damage. The guy who hit me did not even stop when I pulled over. Oh well.

Anyway, no wrench light or anything, which is strange, since I have gotten one in the past, several times, for no apparent reason. So the dealership is going to look at the truck next week, but told me Ford will not authorize any warranty work for fuel dilution in the crankcase oil, but they will try to figure out what is causing the hesitation. I guess the engine will need to let go before Ford will do anything about the rising oil level in the crankcase. Hopefully, in the meantime, this truck doesn't kill me. I will ask to see the notice that the dealership told me that Ford sent out, when I drop my truck off. If this is true, I believe I may finally end a 40+ year loyalty to Ford.
During the troubleshooting of my truck they asked if I had any hesitation as that would point to an injector issue.. I had not had any and the conclusion was to replace the HPFP

Best of luck

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
During the troubleshooting of my truck they asked if I had any hesitation as that would point to an injector issue.. I had not had any and the conclusion was to replace the HPFP

Best of luck
The awful hesitation just started in the past few weeks. The injectors have been changed out twice along with the HPFP as well as all the high pressure fuel lines. For the last fix attempt, they also replaced the complete oil separator assembly, which I believe may have made it worse. I monitor the fuel trims, and they have been high, even at idle, since the oil separator system was replaced. I asked the dealership if they had possibly not gotten the system sealed up properly, as a vacuum leak could be the cause of the higher fuel trims, but they told me that it was due to the adaptive learning resetting as they also reflashed the system. On top of all that, the fuel mileage has really taken a hit. I used to average 22+ in the summer months. 18 mpg is a good week now, mid 17s are the norm. It's too bad because this POS would be a great truck if not for this issue.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The awful hesitation just started in the past few weeks. The injectors have been changed out twice along with the HPFP as well as all the high pressure fuel lines. For the last fix attempt, they also replaced the complete oil separator assembly, which I believe may have made it worse. I monitor the fuel trims, and they have been high, even at idle, since the oil separator system was replaced. I asked the dealership if they had possibly not gotten the system sealed up properly, as a vacuum leak could be the cause of the higher fuel trims, but they told me that it was due to the adaptive learning resetting as they also reflashed the system. On top of all that, the fuel mileage has really taken a hit. I used to average 22+ in the summer months. 18 mpg is a good week now, mid 17s are the norm. It's too bad because this POS would be a great truck if not for this issue.
Didn't you say in an earlier post there was a federal lemon law. If so might be time to get on that road!

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
Update on my 2020 XLT coming to the time to do the initial oil change in August. No change in driving habits, still short 8km daily drives, auto start/stop off, occasionally couple of hour drive once a month and not every month. Truck has just shy on 4000km (2500mi) on it. No system modifications or tuning, just stock.
During winter I saw the oil level reach about a 1/4in above twist before going for a long drive. After the drive it would be at the base of the twist. In the current summer driving I am seeing the oil level back down to just below the hole. This is after driving around city and getting the engine hot but not driving for more than a hour.
In another month I will change the oil and continue to monitor between summer and winter conditions.
Again I am saying this is just my experience. If the fuel dilution situation with the DI engine is predictable, I am happy.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor

Please allow me to caution you about this. What you said is not incorrect, but it does not work that way in practice.

Before I go too much into it, let me say, you will be fine running that oil as long as you don't mention it to anyone. However, if you admit to using that weight of oil, all they would have to do is show it is possible that the oil caused the damage to win against you in court. The standard for evidence in civil court is preponderance of the evidence, which is basically they just have to prove there is more than a 50% chance that it is true. Which, if you are in court fighting the type of claim they are willing to take to court will be something like a complete engine failure. It would not be hard to convince a jury that using an oil weight that is not recommended could lead to those types of failures. Also, you would have to file a lawsuit to even get it that far. Assuming they were going to decline your warranty, they would just do it and then it is on you to take action from there.

Now, that being said, feel free to read up on my story here.

I ended up taking the $5000 settlement, but was on the hook for my own repairs. They did not officially void the warranty, but my lawyer said the powertrain warranty was effectively voided because any powertrain issue that came up in the future would be blamed on the tuner and they would decline the repair.

I think the link explains it all if you read all 4 pages of the thread, but I will gladly give more details if anyone wants.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Now, that being said, feel free to read up on my story here.
NIce read regarding your "story". Some of those civic guys are hard on you. It doesn't sound like you were ever being an a-hole about the situation. I don't think it's bad Honda wanted to help you out. It's called marketing. Instead of creating an enemy, they created good will.

Last edited:

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
NIce read regarding your "story". Some of those civic guys are hard on you. It doesn't sound like you were ever being an a-hole about the situation. I don't think it's bad Honda wanted to help you out. It's called marketing. Instead of creating an enemy, they created good will.
All they were doing is avoiding their legal fees if we took it to court. In the end, it worked out and now I have a ranger :sunglasses:
Sponsored