Fuel in oil

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well mine is at the dealer now for this problem.

Had the dealer change oil and filter at 2500 miles as the level was above the hole on the dipstick.

I thought possibly just the factory fill and rings seating, etc. but was aware of others having this issue so I wanted to be sure.

The dealer recorded the level and I drove it another 2000 miles.

Checked it yesterday and it was over the hole again.

Dropped it off this morning and dealer confirmed high oil level and the smell of fuel.

Hopefully resolved soon so I can do the Livernois tune.

I didn't want to install it before this was out of the way.
Sponsored

dalekinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT
There are over 6,000 members on this site. Only a handful are experiencing issues. Sure it's a big deal if it's happening to you but it certainly isn't a widespread problem.

Also worth noting many of the folks that post here about the fuel in oil issues have a brand new truck. Fuel in the oil is normal when the motor is new and the rings have not yet seated.
Interesting, what would you say is a good averave mileage on the engine for the rings to be truely seated? Im currently at 1200 miles mostly interstate driving 70miles a day at 70-80mph on my 2020 ranger and I checked the oil and its right at the top dot factory fill and I do smell the fuel in the oil. 2020 XLT FX4. Motor manufactured in March 2020. I use strictly Shell Vpower 93 octane gas. Im also getting some engine hesitation when I push in the gas at 3krpm and its really bothering me. I hear the turbo but it only happens at that rpm. Whats also really annoying me in stop and go traffic, if im going 20mph or less and take my foot off the gas and put it back on I get a shudder/jerk from the drivetrain. Anyone else had that?

IMG_2803.jpg

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Interesting, what would you say is a good averave mileage on the engine for the rings to be truely seated?
I'd say 3,000 miles.

Manual states to not tow or drive to fast for the first 1,000 miles.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well mine is at the dealer now for this problem...
Update:

Dealer just called and said that my HPFP was the problem.

One is on order and I should be able to pick up the truck Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Update:

Dealer just called and said that my HPFP was the problem.

One is on order and I should be able to pick up the truck Monday or Tuesday.
it would be nice if you could get more detailed information about exactly how the HPFP failure caused fuel to accumulate in the oil pan. Are they replacing it with an updated model? Are there any other symptoms of this failure besides oil dilution? And, of course, did replacing the HPFP actualily solve your problem, or are they just throwing parts at it with their fingers crossed?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The HPFP is driven off the camshaft, so if it is leaking the fuel can mix with the oiling system.

I don't know if there's an updated pump or if I just got a bad one.

I had no other symptoms besides the oil increasing.

I'll be watching it closely to see if the problem is indeed solved.

I certainly hope so as aside from this issue I really like this truck.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Update:

Picked it up today.

Now I just have to watch it closely until my apprehension is sated.

Service.png

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Update:

Picked it up today.

Now I just have to watch it closely until my apprehension is sated.

Service.png
Your service report is much more detailed than mine. No leak down test or mention of any tests except for the oil sample they sent out, that came back at 12% dilution in less than 500 miles on fresh change. They replaced all injectors and the HPFP and the issue is still ongoing. I had a 3rd service appointment, been there 5 times already, a week ago Friday and they changed the oil but did nothing else. They are waiting on Ford to let them know what to do. I just got off the phone with them and they told me they got a second sample test that also showed high fuel dilution. They said they will contact Ford and get back to me. In the mean time, since the last oil change a little over a week ago, the level has risen to about a 1/4in over the max hole in ~250 miles. I am so bummed.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well this blows, I just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service, I finally broke down and called them to open a case number. Anyway, the person I spoke to was very nice and looked up everything done to date and noted that a Ford Engineer had recommended an HPFP and injector change back in May and that is the last time they had been contacted by the dealer? The dealer has been telling me they spoke to a Ford engineer a week ago Friday, when I was in for service for this issue, and they recommended a Ford Engineer look at the truck, and that they are waiting to hear back from Ford to schedule it. The person I spoke to said there was no contact since May and that they would look into it and escalate the situation. I am losing faith in yet another Ford dealer.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sad the dealer shining you on like that, but good that Ford is now involved and aware of the situation.

Hope you get it worked out.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Moto Ford should just replace the motor under warranty

dalekinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT
Sorry you guys are having issues. I decided to go ahead and get rid of mine. I couldn't deal with the vibration and the real bad shudder I was experiencing between 1-4th gear. I also started getting higher level oil due to the fuel and I shouldn't have to deal with this with a brand new Truck with the dealer giving me the run around. I got the truck I originally wanted (due to covid) it wasnt in stock at the time. 2020 Nissan Frontier Midnight Black Edition. Im not having any of the issues I was having with my ranger but I ended up losing about 600.00 trading it in and getting this truck. I wish you all, best of luck.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I also wish you Good Luck with your Nissan.

Every manufacturer has good ones and bad ones.

My brand new 2018 Frontier Pro4X was horrendous, while my 2011 Frontier was a great truck.

The HPFP is the only real issue I've had with this one in 8 months of ownership, and fortunately I seem to have a pretty good Ford dealer (my Nissan dealer sucked).

I traded the Pro4X in 6 months.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well, I dropped my truck off at the dealer yet again. I asked them what tests they were going to run and they told me that Ford wants them to inspect the cam lobe that drives the HPFP. The Ford engineer said that there are only 2 causes of the fuel getting in the crankcase, injectors or HPFP, both of which were changed already. I really hope they can fix it as it seems worse than ever now. With a little over 400 miles since they changed the oil on my last trip to the dealer on 7/31 and the level was about 1/4in above the max hole when I dropped it off.
Sponsored