Fuel in oil

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I've been checking almost daily (always in the morning) for a couple weeks and the level has been high, but stable. This morning I pulled off the extra (maybe a cup), and I'll keep watching it. Did a blot test on the stuff I pulled off and it looks fine, so maybe it was only high because i somehow managed to overfill it when I did the oil change.
Update: Since the level has been stable, I've been checking a lot less frequently. I did check this morning, and it's sitting exactly at the top hole, just as I left it when I pulled off the extra. Interestingly, I checked it a couple weeks ago in the driveway (bit of an uphill slope) and it was actually down a little bit, though that could easily be explain by the slope I was parked on.

I'm running regular 87 octane from a variety (Shell, BP, Marathon) of Top Tier stations.

Background (this is all earlier in the thread, but added here just so you don't have to go back through the thread to remember any details of my case): Did first oil change at 2000 miles, at which point oil was slightly above the top hole, just like it was when I first checked the level at under 1000 miles. Blackstone report came back at 6% dilution, but nothing abnormal on the wear metals. Had dealer look at it when I was in for unrelated warranty work; they didn't find anything amiss but told me to keep an eye on it.
Sponsored

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
What brand and octane fuel are you running?

Hi John, was running Mobil’s 85; cheapest. Reading this string, and in particular your insights, I gather that’s not been the best choice.
You think that could be a contributing factor?

We’ve had the Ranger for two months; two weeks of which it sat at the dealer (separate post on software update issue). We’ve only put 200 miles on it since purchase. Prior to which it sat at a dealership for six months. Recent oil change (20 miles ago) was the first for the truck.

I believe the remaining ca 4000 miles were put on during transport from Canada (originally sold there); it was a dealer-to-dealer purchase.

Thank you for replying.
-Chris

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John, was running Mobil’s 85; cheapest. Reading this string, and in particular your insights, I gather that’s not been the best choice.
You think that could be a contributing factor?

We’ve had the Ranger for two months; two weeks of which it sat at the dealer (separate post on software update issue). We’ve only put 200 miles on it since purchase. Prior to which it sat at a dealership for six months. Recent oil change (20 miles ago) was the first for the truck.

I believe the remaining ca 4000 miles were put on during transport from Canada (originally sold there); it was a dealer-to-dealer purchase.

Thank you for replying.
-Chris
You should definitely not run 85, the minimum per ford is 87. I've always been running 91 (highest in CA), but I would never go below 87.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
You should definitely not run 85, the minimum per ford is 87. I've always been running 91 (highest in CA), but I would never go below 87.
Appreciate it. Seems Ford recommends same (87+).

Admittedly we didn’t give it much thought (I’m not the primary driver; will flag to the household); have been running 85 in the F150 without issue.

Will Low octane levels lead to tangible blow-by? Assume so based on above.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Appreciate it. Seems Ford recommends same (87+).

Admittedly we didn’t give it much thought (I’m not the primary driver; will flag to the household); have been running 85 in the F150 without issue.

Will Low octane levels lead to tangible blow-by? Assume so based on above.
That's what I am wondering.... and it's why I asked what octane fuel folks are running that have the "fuel in oil" issue.

Read this.. http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/how-the-knock-detection-system-works-in-the-ecoboost/

and this.. https://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-ecoboost-and-the-octane-adjust-ratio-monitor/

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
I use 91 octane since purchase and first oil change using mobile 1 annual. Just under 6k miles and last time I checked the oil level strong raw gas odor but no noticeable increase in crankcase

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. Thank you.
Something I don't get tho, if 91 octane is the answer why didn't i start having trouble earlier. I didn't start having a rise in oil level till I hit 7,600 miles and I ran 87 octane from the start. I'll give 91 a shot tho!!

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Curious how many of those having fuel dilution issues have really opened up their truck (like pedal to the floor) somewhat regularly?

Since the tune, I tend to use "turbo mode" to please the kids more often and my fuel in oil doesn't appear to be an issue any longer.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Something I don't get tho, if 91 octane is the answer why didn't i start having trouble earlier. I didn't start having a rise in oil level till I hit 7,600 miles and I ran 87 octane from the start. I'll give 91 a shot tho!!
Sane here, mine did not start until around 13,000 miles on truck.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Curious how many of those having fuel dilution issues have really opened up their truck (like pedal to the floor) somewhat regularly?

Since the tune, I tend to use "turbo mode" to please the kids more often and my fuel in oil doesn't appear to be an issue any longer.
If anything, it would be the other way around on my truck. As soon as gas prices started dropping, my foot got heavier on the pedal.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase

CORRECTION: it was 87. I went by the gas station used for the last two fill-ups, and they only offer 87, 91, and 93. So the cheapest was 87. Lost in translation.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So I've put around 750 miles since I had the injectors replaced and changed my oil with shell Rotella. The oil level initially rose a little bit, from just above the hashmarks to right below the top hole. But it has froze right there. I think it's safe to say that the problem most of us are experiencing lies within the injectors. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes, but for now I'm calling the problem fixed! I'm going to reconnect my oil catch can and see what it catches now, since it used to be almost 100% fuel.

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
So I've put around 750 miles since I had the injectors replaced and changed my oil with shell Rotella. The oil level initially rose a little bit, from just above the hashmarks to right below the top hole. But it has froze right there. I think it's safe to say that the problem most of us are experiencing lies within the injectors. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes, but for now I'm calling the problem fixed! I'm going to reconnect my oil catch can and see what it catches now, since it used to be almost 100% fuel.
Good luck keep us posted

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
So because I’m on a phone and searching is hard, did they replace them under warranty or did you upgrade?
Sponsored