NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
This is great ! A must watch. The reality is people go on the internet and freak out over something that may not even be an issue. Let’s all stand back and take the emotions out of the equation and simply look at the money aspect. So you are afraid that down the road the gas in the oil, again watch the video, will cause you to have an expensive repair. So to avoid this, you trade in a one or two year old truck at the height of the depreciation curve and absorb a real financial loss, probably equal or greater than a repair. Everyone has different peace of mind thresholds to be sure, can’t pass judgement on that, but if you love truck do the math before taking a real financial loss.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Rustoleum ...
i mean its 2021, dont think a car less than 1 yr old should have to.

This is great ! A must watch. The reality is people go on the internet and freak out over something that may not even be an issue. Let’s all stand back and take the emotions out of the equation and simply look at the money aspect. So you are afraid that down the road the gas in the oil, again watch the video, will cause you to have an expensive repair. So to avoid this, you trade in a one or two year old truck at the height of the depreciation curve and absorb a real financial loss, probably equal or greater than a repair. Everyone has different peace of mind thresholds to be sure, can’t pass judgement on that, but if you love truck do the math before taking a real financial loss.
Interesting video. But there’s something not clarified, that is whats ‘minor’ oil dilution. In addition, it states the car manufacturers are aware of this. If that were the case, why are the dealers not aware of this on the ranger and scrambling to fix or delay/stall a proper answer. Why not just say, “thats normal.”

Also i didnt know me driving to the trail 10min away for a jog was bad this whole time lol guess ill stop that..

Last edited:

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
i mean its 2021, dont think a car less than 1 yr old should have to

Interesting video. But there’s something not clarified, that is whats ‘minor’ oil dilution. In addition, it states the car manufacturers are aware of this. If that were the case, why are the dealers not aware of this on the ranger and scrambling to fix or delay/stall a proper answer. Why not just say, “thats normal.”

Also i didnt know me driving to the trail 10min away for a jog was bad this whole time lol guess.
Dealers know they are to play dumb . Ford knows class action is inevitable if dealers say this is a problem. I worked in the car industry for 13 years

Reactions: Doc

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
i mean its 2021, dont think a car less than 1 yr old shouldnt have to.

Also i didnt know me driving to the trail 10min away for a jog was bad this whole time lol guess ill stop that..
Lol ?, Point taken, in all seriousness, live your life, drive the truck to your jogging point, the truck is meant to serve you, not vice versa. Don’t worry about optimizing highway miles to prolong engine life, that is silly.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Lol ?, Point taken, in all seriousness, live your life, drive the truck to your jogging point, the truck is meant to serve you, not vice versa. Don’t worry about optimizing highway miles to prolong engine life, that is silly.
I have a second car, my truck is meant to serve as an adventure vehicle, driving to the mountain/camping etc. i just loved it so much i would use it to drive to my trail head every morning which is about a 10min drive. So if that really is bad for a vehicle (not the truck in general) then id rather use my 12yr old jetta still for anything like a trip to grocery or nearby trailhead.

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
No we know why they are called eco boom. All eco pukes make oil from what I have been seeing .

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
5w40 wow it calls for 5w30
Yes, 5W30 is what the Ranger's owner's manual calls for. For the Focus RS the owner's manual calls for 5W50. In the 2.3 Mustang the owner's manual calls for 5W30 except when you are racing. Before racing your Mustang it tells you to drain the oil, change the filter, and fill with 5W50. So, it would seem Ford calls for the 2.3 Ecoboost to run with a heavier viscosity oil under more extreme driving conditions.

This tells me 5W40 will do absolutely no harm to my Ranger's 2.3 engine. I plan to start running 5W40 in mine to help keep the viscosity level a little higher because I get moderate oil dilution with short driving trips (so far, 3.3% and 3.8% according to Blackstone). My Ranger has no dilution issues on longer highway trips. Beyond that, I am not worrying about this and no way would I sell my Ranger because of this issue.

Last edited:

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My previous 3.5L EcoBoost and all of our company EcoBoosts definitely have a fuel smell when changing the oil. We do oil changes at 5k km to help keep the fuel out of the oil but it's been a normal thing for any EcoBoost I've done an oil change on. Original or the newest gen.
Curious question, since this is somewhat common in the eco boost, do you, or anyone here think that maybe the high fuel pressure for the direct injection could cause more fuel to slip past the rings? Do diesels share this problem?

Reactions: Doc

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Yes, 5W30 is what the Ranger's owner's manual calls for. For the Focus RS the owner's manual calls for 5W50. In the 2.3 Mustang the owner's manual calls for 5W30 except when you are racing. Before racing your Mustang it tells you to drain the oil, change the filter, and fill with 5W50. So, it would seem Ford calls for the 2.3 Ecoboost to run with a heavier viscosity oil under more extreme driving conditions.

This tells me 5W40 will do absolutely no harm to my Ranger's 2.3 engine. I plan to start running 5W40 in mine to help keep the viscosity level a little higher because I get moderate oil dilution with short driving trips (so far, 3.3% and 3.8% according to Blackstone). My Ranger has no dilution issues on longer highway trips. Beyond that, I am not worrying about this and no way would I sell my Ranger because of this issue.
The higher weight
Curious question, since this is somewhat common in the eco boost, do you, or anyone here think that maybe the high fuel pressure for the direct injection could cause more fuel to slip past the rings? Do diesels share this problem?
Yes diesels do this but diesel is a lubricant so it wouldn't be a big deal were gas is a solvent . Also some one posted the high pressure pump has a rode the rides on the cams and if the gasket for the rod leaks there's were some of the fuel is from . Makes sense here comes the but lol some have had there pumps and injector already replaced and there truck is still getting gas in the oil. I have a feeling this is a bad engineering job making it uncorrectable.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The higher weight

Yes diesels do this but diesel is a lubricant so it wouldn't be a big deal were gas is a solvent . Also some one posted the high pressure pump has a rode the rides on the cams and if the gasket for the rod leaks there's were some of the fuel is from . Makes sense here comes the but lol some have had there pumps and injector already replaced and there truck is still getting gas in the oil. I have a feeling this is a bad engineering job making it uncorrectable.
This is my 3rd ecoboost, first one was the 3.5 in a Flex. I didnt keep it very long perhaps 22K miles. Wanted a truck, nothing was wrong with it. This was 2010. My next was a 2012 Edge which I traded in for my Ranger in 2019. It had 125K miles on it and never a problem, not one with the engine or tranny. It had the 2.0 in it. I personally dont see a huge issue here, my opinion of course. I have worked in Aerospace industry for 35 years and what I have seen in manufacturing is that no matter how good a product is designed and I have seen many excellent designs, you are going to have problems that come up, this in response to those who have had injectors or pumps replaced so soon. Shit happens! LOL

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
This is my 3rd ecoboost, first one was the 3.5 in a Flex. I didnt keep it very long perhaps 22K miles. Wanted a truck, nothing was wrong with it. This was 2010. My next was a 2012 Edge which I traded in for my Ranger in 2019. It had 125K miles on it and never a problem, not one with the engine or tranny. It had the 2.0 in it. I personally dont see a huge issue here, my opinion of course. I have worked in Aerospace industry for 35 years and what I have seen in manufacturing is that no matter how good a product is designed and I have seen many excellent designs, you are going to have problems that come up, this in response to those who have had injectors or pumps replaced so soon. Shit happens! LOL
They were only replaced to try to stop the gas in oil . Some say eng have blew because of the hi dilution. As far as mine was way up the stick at 3400 miles it would sure have blown the motor after a short time . I also noticed eng started to sound different in mine but thought it was cold weather related but I am sure it wasn't after seeing oil level.