• Total voters

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
i dont mean this like a dick or want to sound like it but, how much does it cost for the labs to test and report findings? Im not saying this is not or cannot be an issue. however, oil in fuel is pretty common for some engines. so far it sounds like the only sure result is that the labs testing this is making more money. my uneducated guess here : one of two things. 1. operating conditions like weather, driving habits, oil used, fuel used and so on. 2. folks over reacting to something that is for the most part normal. (again not saying it is not an issue) We have some members in the forum that are near or over 100k on the 2.3 ranger and no engine problems. dealers and ford likely think if the engine lasts XXXXXXXXX miles without an issue related to fuel in oil then its a non issue. to them the engine is meeting its intended service life. I am interested to see lab reports if someone has a bad report or a malfunction of some sort related to fuel in oil. id bet a donut ford is well aware of what the issue is, what causes and what conditions etc. they have simply decided its not relevant to the durability of the trucks and not worth making a change. they told thousands of mustang v8 owners in 18-20 that the ticking noise of piston slap was normal and did not have any negatives for the engine lol. to be fair a lot of the folks didnt have a real issue, they just were not used to hearing all those fancy new fuel system noises. as far as i know ford has stuck to the no issue story and directed dealers in more than one tsb to tell customers its normal and ford will not pay or warranty investigation of the noise. sounds like what some of yall experienced with the fuel in oil thing too.
Here is what you are missing, as I see it. Only a percentage of Ranger's are experiencing this issue. What percentage? I have no idea. Therefore, the argument that we aren't seeing Ranger engines blowing up before 100k miles is proof that it isn't a problem. Well, not really. If only 5% have oil dilution issues, then those are the only ones that might have long-term engine issues. I have a first year (2019) Ranger and, due to Covid and remote work, have only 33k miles. So too soon to have any engine failure issues. I suspect my mileage is not uncommon. And to be fair, my Blackstone reports are not showing any excess engine wear even though I am getting over 3% fuel in the oil before 4000 miles. I am changing my oil before 5000 miles. At the very least, this issue is costing me additional money in more frequent oil changes and Blackstone analyses.
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Guys are changing their oil at 5k miles unnecessarily when they could likely be going to 7.5K or more (if they had the data to back it up).
I use this exact same logic for my underwear , wifey is not impressed with results , she has the data , it's right there in brown and white...
I do highlight the important stuff with yellow marker...

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have had five Fords with direct injection, 4 with turbos and 3 with the 2.3 Ecoboost. With a combined approximate 150k miles.

None of them have had enough fuel dilution to cause the oil level to rise or for the oil to have a fuel smell. All of these vehicles had oil changes on a 7500 mile interval.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
i dont mean this like a dick or want to sound like it but, how much does it cost for the labs to test and report findings? Im not saying this is not or cannot be an issue. however, oil in fuel is pretty common for some engines. so far it sounds like the only sure result is that the labs testing this is making more money. my uneducated guess here : one of two things. 1. operating conditions like weather, driving habits, oil used, fuel used and so on. 2. folks over reacting to something that is for the most part normal. (again not saying it is not an issue) We have some members in the forum that are near or over 100k on the 2.3 ranger and no engine problems. dealers and ford likely think if the engine lasts XXXXXXXXX miles without an issue related to fuel in oil then its a non issue. to them the engine is meeting its intended service life. I am interested to see lab reports if someone has a bad report or a malfunction of some sort related to fuel in oil. id bet a donut ford is well aware of what the issue is, what causes and what conditions etc. they have simply decided its not relevant to the durability of the trucks and not worth making a change. they told thousands of mustang v8 owners in 18-20 that the ticking noise of piston slap was normal and did not have any negatives for the engine lol. to be fair a lot of the folks didnt have a real issue, they just were not used to hearing all those fancy new fuel system noises. as far as i know ford has stuck to the no issue story and directed dealers in more than one tsb to tell customers its normal and ford will not pay or warranty investigation of the noise. sounds like what some of yall experienced with the fuel in oil thing too.
This thread was created for people with actual DATA to share and collect that data. This isn't the thread for people with opinions. I recommend sharing your opinion here. It's almost 160 pages and more than 2000 posts of opinions. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Data is priceless.

Moderator: can we clean up this thread so it's just posts of people with reports to post? Just discussions of results and conditions but not questions of validity.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
This thread was created for people with actual DATA to share and collect that data. This isn't the thread for people with opinions. I recommend sharing your opinion here. It's almost 160 pages and more than 2000 posts of opinions. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Data is priceless.

Moderator: can we clean up this thread so it's just posts of people with reports to post? Just discussions of results and conditions but not questions of validity.
No worries friend, I can remove my self from the data thread lol.

Reactions: JDG

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
19 RANGER-220410.jpg

2.5% at only 3,655 miles. Would it have been 7% at 10,000 miles?
Sponsored

Reactions: JDG