First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I haven't driven it much (Covid + really hot weather + retired) but the computer shows 26.2MPG. How can one complain about a pickup that does that? Of course, part of it is that I drive like an old man, because I am.
Sponsored

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
I am averaging 22-23MPG, combined city and highway. 25K miles, 2" leveling kit, 265/70/17 tires, and Ford tune

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't it be a bitch if it threw you into a higher tax bracket though. :shock: That would be my luck!:facepalm:
If .82 cents put you into the next tax bracket it would not affect you in the slightest. Only that .82 cents would be taxed at the next bracket percentage not your entire income. Only the income that falls into a particular bracket is taxed at that percentage.
So say bracket 1 is taxed at 10% up to $9K, bracket 2 20% for $9001 to $25000, Bracket 3 25% $25001 to $75000 ect. If you made $25002 only that $2 is taxed at 25% not the entire $25002 you made.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Unfortunately, whatever money they pay the lawyers we all will eventually pay for. So it isn't really free money.
Ain't that the truth!

A couple years ago, I was part of the class for a class action lawsuit against GM. GM had concealed the extent of some problem (I think the ignition issue?) from investors, so their stock price was artificially inflated for a while. Anybody who had bought GM stock during the period the price was inflated (including yours truly!) was considered have been financially injured. GM settled. As part of the settlement documents, there was a table to determine if, and by how much, investors overpaid for their stock. There was a separate table to determine how much settlement money an investor was entitled to. The first table showed that, yes, GM's concealment caused me to overpay pretty substantially. The second table showed that under the terms of the settlement I was entitled to $0.

But wait there's more!

At the time of the settlement, I was still a GM shareholder. The settlement cost GM a pretty large chunk of change, hurting their financial situation, and therefore causing their stock to decrease in value. In other words, the settlement says I was financially harmed, but the settlement itself financially harmed me by decreasing the value of my investments!

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
I was part of a Hyundai class action lawsuit and one day received a visa card for $150 which could only be used at a Hyundai dealer. I was at lost what to do with it since I no longer own a Hyundai. I called the local Hyundai dealer and explained the situation. They said, "not problem...you can use it here to order parts for your new ride". I ended up getting OEM wipers, air filter, cabin air filter, and touch up paint for my Ranger thanks to Hyundai. :rockon:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Wouldn't it be a bitch if it threw you into a higher tax bracket though. :shock: That would be my luck!:facepalm:
EDIT: oops just noticed @07XLT already touched on this.

Not to go against the grain or be a Debbie Downer here but tax brackets don't work that way.. at least not where I'm from.. and a lot of people get upset over nothing - even turning down raises or promotions. This is a huge myth that many people believe.

Example tax brackets:
$0 - $25,000 = 15% tax rate
$25,001 - $50,000 = 20% tax rate
$50,001 - $75,000 = 25% tax rate
$75,001 - $100,000 = 30% tax rate

If you made $75,000 you would pay:
15% on the first $25,000 = $3,750
20% on the next $25,000 = $4,000
25% on the final $25,000 = $5,000
Total of $12,750.00

If you made $75,001 you would pay:

25% on the next $25,000 = $5,000
30% on the final $1 = $0.30
Total of $12,750.30

The myth that making more money can result in you getting less money seems to be most often spewed by superiors in workplaces, who do not want to pay you more money so they try and make it seem like the government is the bad guy in the situation.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Back on topic - these lawsuits might not get you much and the lawyers probably reap most of the benefits, but we should still be happy about them as they put pressure on companies like Ford to be as honest and accurate as possible. Even if we got $0 in the, the next generation vehicle and owners would be better off for it. It's a form of check and balance.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Its like scrolling through a youtube channel with videos named "Ranger BURNOUT!!!", "4wd Boosted Launch", "Ranger Extreme Offroading" "Ranger Top Speed Run"

And then they posted up a video named "Ford Lied! Ranger Only Getting 8MPG"
Oh Really. Imagine that.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If .82 cents put you into the next tax bracket it would not affect you in the slightest. Only that .82 cents would be taxed at the next bracket percentage not your entire income. Only the income that falls into a particular bracket is taxed at that percentage.
So say bracket 1 is taxed at 10% up to $9K, bracket 2 20% for $9001 to $25000, Bracket 3 25% $25001 to $75000 ect. If you made $25002 only that $2 is taxed at 25% not the entire $25002 you made.
EDIT: oops just noticed @07XLT already touched on this.

Not to go against the grain or be a Debbie Downer here but tax brackets don't work that way.. at least not where I'm from.. and a lot of people get upset over nothing - even turning down raises or promotions. This is a huge myth that many people believe.

Example tax brackets:
$0 - $25,000 = 15% tax rate
$25,001 - $50,000 = 20% tax rate
$50,001 - $75,000 = 25% tax rate
$75,001 - $100,000 = 30% tax rate

If you made $75,000 you would pay:
25% on the final $25,000 = $5,000
Total of $12,750.00

If you made $75,001 you would pay:

25% on the next $25,000 = $5,000
30% on the final $1 = $0.30
Total of $12,750.30

The myth that making more money can result in you getting less money seems to be most often spewed by superiors in workplaces, who do not want to pay you more money so they try and make it seem like the government is the bad guy in the situation.

I realize this it was satire. :sunglasses:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I realize this it was satire. :sunglasses:
Phew. Even so I think it's good to throw it out there how it really works for the countless people who don't realize it. When I was 18 working in a factory here I was advised by my co-workers not to take a raise because it would lower my pay. Fortunately I didn't listen to them. I've heard so many stories like this since then and it hurts my heart.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I recall that Ford self reported this to the EPA that their methodology might be incorrect. The pressure on Ford to report came from within the corporation. Question... So the lawsuit is to remedy those who bought a Ford based on mpg and may have purchased another brand??? I must be missing something here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Phew. Even so I think it's good to throw it out there how it really works for the countless people who don't realize it. When I was 18 working in a factory here I was advised by my co-workers not to take a raise because it would lower my pay. Fortunately I didn't listen to them. I've heard so many stories like this since then and it hurts my heart.
That's some of the worst advise I've ever heard. So you're never to take a raise and just keeping work for entry pay? :facepalm: I bet he's still stuck in that same factory making crap pay if he's listening to his own advise.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
That's some of the worst advise I've ever heard. So you're never to take a raise and just keeping work for entry pay? :facepalm: I bet he's still stuck in that same factory making crap pay if he's listening to his own advise.
His logic was that the raise wasn't big enough to counteract the added taxes, and that I should hold out for a bigger raise. He claimed he negotiated himself a bigger raise by using taxes as an excuse. In hindsight he was an idiot. But being young and dumb I didn't look into how things worked but I did at least ask my father what my coworker was on about, and my father simply said to ignore him and take the raise. It wasn't until years later that I actually learned how the tax brackets worked. Wish I just looked it up at the time, as it's much simpler than I expected. But at least I opted to listen to my father instead of my coworker.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hi Folks,

I recall that Ford self reported this to the EPA that their methodology might be incorrect. The pressure on Ford to report came from within the corporation. Question... So the lawsuit is to remedy those who bought a Ford based on mpg and may have purchased another brand??? I must be missing something here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I's be inclined to think it's more of a handful of people do not understand what "Estimated" means and are looking for a payday like the McDonald's Coffee lady. I mean it was FRESH BREWED COFFEE... OF COURSE IT'S HOT... Same point here... to those who started this thing, it's a fricken truck.. They don't get great gas mileage. They never have and never will.. They're the aerodynamic equivalent of a brick with wheels... If you want great gas mileage buy a civic.. And if you would have bought a different brand because it got 2-3 MPH more then all I can say is P.T. Barnum was right. " There's a sucker born every second."
Sponsored