Fricking dealer didn't do PDI properly...

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
...and I was actually very gracious about it. I politely advised the sales guy of what happened, and then when I received his survey, I gave him a perfect CSI score...
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the antenna and corrected the tire pressure right in front of my salesman at the delivery lot. He looked frazzled like I was going to slam on the survey but I gave him a perfect score myself.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's laziness and theft, and I don't care for either one.

Part of the price that I paid for the vehicle, included the cost of Ford paying the dealer to do a PDI that didn't get done.
...and I was actually very gracious about it. I politely advised the sales guy of what happened, and then when I received his survey, I gave him a perfect CSI score...
So you gave them a perfect score, but came on here saying they didn't do the pdi properly?

That's dishonest and does nothing to improve the situation.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
So you gave them a perfect score, but came on here saying they didn't do the pdi properly?

That's dishonest and does nothing to improve the situation.
Well the sales man get knocked for that score. And when I say knocked I mean not paid on certain promos etc.

It's better to tell the dealership there is an issue rather than mess with the sales man.

But again giving a bad score for damn air in the tires is a bit much.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well the sales man get knocked for that score. And when I say knocked I mean not paid on certain promos etc.

It's better to tell the dealership there is an issue rather than mess with the sales man.

So what do you rate them on? Putting the stupid shiny stuff on the tires? Adding the dealership ad stickers and keyring? Not knowing anything about the product? There isn't all that much a dealership actually has to do with a new car beyond the pre delivery inspection, and they screw that up while focusing on other things that they think will make them more money. The only way that will change is if there's some penalty for not doing the job properly.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
What score do you give your president for letting the air out of this country? You will pay big time for that.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab

Those surveys are worthless if everybody gets 100% regardless of the outcome. I know they're not perfect but everybody can improve somewhere. The PDI is a fine example of easy things to improve.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

So what do you rate them on? Putting the stupid shiny stuff on the tires? Adding the dealership ad stickers and keyring? Not knowing anything about the product? There isn't all that much a dealership actually has to do with a new car beyond the pre delivery inspection, and they screw that up while focusing on other things that they think will make them more money. The only way that will change is if there's some penalty for not doing the job properly.
Those surveys are worthless if everybody gets 100% regardless of the outcome. I know they're not perfect but everybody can improve somewhere. The PDI is a fine example of easy things to improve.
Not sure what kind of survey OP got. But the last two I got from Ford, and most companies, have differentiating questions about both the dealership AND the salesman.

You could easily give the salesman a 10, although not sure I've ever found one that deserved a 10, and the dealership an 8, 9, or whatever this trivial misstep is worth to you.

"Based on you your recent experience how likely are you to recommend your sales associate to a friend or family member?"

"Based on your recent experience how likely are you to recommend dealership X to a friend or family member?"

Two DIFFERENT questions. Simple enough to put the blame where you'd like.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
I handled the situation directly with the salesman, who is after all, my point of contact with the dealership. He assured me that he would address the issue internally, through proper channels. I think he earned his perfect score.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I handled the situation directly with the salesman, who is after all, my point of contact with the dealership. He assured me that he would address the issue internally, through proper channels. I think he earned his perfect score.
I trust car salesmen about as far as I can throw them. To each his own.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
I trust car salesmen about as far as I can throw them. To each his own.
The salesman did everything he said he would do. It was the technician that got paid for the PDI that didn't.

As I said, it is the technician that I don't trust...

Last edited:

Mr.Mel

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
To me the Air Pressure , washer fluid seems trivial but is indicative to the level of attention paid to the PDI in general. What else was not checked or corrected that should have been? A new owner should have no obligation to go through the PDI list to be sure it was done correctly. If this is the level of Customer service provided what else is compromised? Does their Tech use a torque wrench, do they install the right parts, did they strip your drain plug? The attention detail you can see is the test and tells the story that they are not trustworthy.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Was going to post this the other day, but forgot.

Checked the cold tire pressures the morning after bringing it home, and found them all still in the mid-40s from shipment.
Mine was 50. I just let it out.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Not sure what kind of survey OP got. But the last two I got from Ford, and most companies, have differentiating questions about both the dealership AND the salesman.

You could easily give the salesman a 10, although not sure I've ever found one that deserved a 10, and the dealership an 8, 9, or whatever this trivial misstep is worth to you.

"Based on you your recent experience how likely are you to recommend your sales associate to a friend or family member?"

"Based on your recent experience how likely are you to recommend dealership X to a friend or family member?"

Two DIFFERENT questions. Simple enough to put the blame where you'd like.
My sales person AND dealership both did amazing jobs on ordering and delivery of my truck. Hell, she was/is so awesome that I named my truck after her. Now I'm torn if I ever go to buy a new one because the sales person went to another dealership closer to where she lives.
Sponsored