First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Graphic Artist/Illustrator
So angry at myself. I lightly rear-ended a SUV on my commute home on Friday. As I approached a busy intersection from the right lane, the car in front of me swerved into the left lane revealing a line of stopped cars. I was going under 40 mph and slammed the breaks on but there wasn't enough stopping distance (I wasn't tailgating). I donked the SUV infant of me. My steel bumper has a nice dent and the lower grill is cracked (above the bumper is ok). Estimate is $2,000. The dealer body shop has 2 of the 3 parts in, but the 3rd part is on back order (12/30 at earliest).

What also has me mad and concerned is that the Braking Assist didn't seem to work. I got no warning indicator of collision imminent, nor felt braking assist happening. I had at least a truck's length before impact. I watched the Braking Assist video several times and it says that it works at speeds as low as 3 mph and 50 mph for pedestrians. The Braking Assist is activated and set on Normal sensitivity. I have had the alert go off twice in rush hour traffic when I approached slowing traffic.

My confidence in the Ranger's braking and braking assist is shaken. I plan on setting up a 5 ft tall cardboard box in the road and doing my own crash test.
Sponsored

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry about your fender bender. Most cars have a hard time with the car in front switching lanes in those situations.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Not trying to bash on you but I couldn’t ever blame my car for that.. I never rely on those aids or even care if they work, I would rather be in control. I guess my attitude is more if they work great, if not I should be paying attention. Not saying you weren’t paying attention, doesn’t really sound like there was much you could’ve done or the truck for that matter.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I have that breaking assist on my Everest and it works pretty good. Although it can be annoying for where Im at right now, just behavior of driving here is Offensive all the time. I had it on high and had to turn it down, its normal for people to pull in front of you. It only works above a certain speed and you have to make sure its activated in the cluster menu. If you are coming up on a car to fast(what it thinks is to fast) it will warn and warn then the system will start applying brakes.
Sponsored