OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Ok. I was able to stick the usb back in the port and it wrote the xml file. I was then able to upload it. Check vin still says I’m eligible for a download but I’m figuring that takes a bit to sync (no pun intended).
I have seen it take a week or even longer for the Ford Owner website to reflect the update has been installed.

You may want to try connecting to wifi and scanning for updates. I was told this will also prompt the website to acknowledge the update has been installed but can't personally confirm this is accurate.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
they must be updating the 2019's first, everyone i have noticed so far lists their truck as a 2019........that may be why i am not seeing mine is ready for update
You may be correct. This update just became available for my 2019 F150 Platinum in the last hour.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
they must be updating the 2019's first, everyone i have noticed so far lists their truck as a 2019........that may be why i am not seeing mine is ready for update
It’s there for my 2020 with nav.....

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Just completed the update on my 2019. My experience was pretty fraught.

• My install started normally, with the "Updating System" banner showing in the upper part of the screen
  • After about 45mins the "Updating System" banner disappeared but the system did not give me the "install complete" prompt. At this point I assumed the update failed so I key cycled the vehicle and as expected, I was still on the old 3.3 system
  • I retried the install and this time it ran much more quickly, and after about 20min gave me the prompt saying that install was complete and the changes would be applied at next power cycle. After clicking 'close" on the prompt, however, the sync screen shut off and stayed black, and failed to restart successfully.
  • Even after several attempts to power cycle the vehicle, restart sync using the audio power+forward button, etc., the screen remained black. At this point I was resigned, believing the system had been bricked, and went to return home to figure out which dealership I was going to have to call.
  • However, at this point, the sync screen randomly came back to life, and the system updated. It was sluggish for the first few minutes but appears to be working properly now, and is better than the 3.3 software in just about every way
  • No XML file was created. I am excited to have to go thru all of the above over again :confused:

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Done! took 14 minutes, got to watch the screen on the truck though the key cycle prompt only stays on for a few seconds, then it goes blank, XML file wrote to flash drive okay.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Same as others. About 20-25 mins. Went smooth. Went for a ride to test out the gps voice instructions to see if it was cutting short and no more cuts. What I didn't realize that it was cutting off more than I thought. It would seem to not cut short the last number of a highway like left on 321 ettt! The one was spoken and abruptly ended. Never dawned on me it was not just being short with the numbers. It left the whole compass direction off, . i.e. 321 North... Now all my turns that have a direction on the route, it says the direction properly too. Go figure huh? :)

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Anything new in this 3.4 besides the blue theme? My install was a piece of cake

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Updated to 3.4 in the first batch. Didn't lose climate screen and generally like the update.

1 major annoyance with 3.4 that I don't think was there with 3,3 - I have a flash drive with about 8,000 songs. When listening from USB if I turn the truck off it never restarts from USB. It also can take quite a while for USB to become available.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
^ The super slow USB indexing finally drove me to stop using USB for music.

Now I just use Carplay.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
^ The super slow USB indexing finally drove me to stop using USB for music.

Now I just use Carplay.
Meh. I hope it's not too much worse than 3.3. I normally just listen to regular radio stations or occasionally stream Spotify through my Android phone. But my music resides on an early ipod touch that's probably 12yrs old at this point. hence, no carplay. truck reads it just as a regular usb drive. I use this when I do long road trips and don't want to mess with changing channels or internet connection drops in remote areas. And I go to lots of remote places.

I guess if it's too bad, I can try using a bluetooth connection, but that would mean controlling the music on the ipod, not via the truck's head unit. hopefully it won't be too bad for me since I don't use it all the time.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
iPod works great with Sync.

Much faster indexing than a USB drive.

I used an iPod until I got an iPhone.

The Music app on the phone is basically identical to using the iPod, but the whole music library is available instantly since the phone is handling the indexing.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Downloaded - Updated; Everything went ok, I guess.

It'd be nice if there was a little better user interface to tell me how it was progressing, but it seemed to do the job.

It'd also be nice if Ford would send me an email or something, when I had an update available, rather than me depending upon you characters. :wink:

Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Updated mine today and I thought it had stopped working but eventually said update completed. I was one of Lariat owners who lost Climate Controls but they are now back.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
Updated to 3.4 in the first batch. Didn't lose climate screen and generally like the update.

1 major annoyance with 3.4 that I don't think was there with 3,3 - I have a flash drive with about 8,000 songs. When listening from USB if I turn the truck off it never restarts from USB. It also can take quite a while for USB to become available.
I found that formatting to NTFS and 4096k allocation size has helped this, actually almost eliminated it completely. Since most MP3s I have are between 3-4 mb, this will keep fragmentation down and make the read quicker, in theory, anyways.

You can use this PowerShell script to see your allocation size, w/your USB plugged in to your computer, of course. :)

Get-Volume | Format-List FileSystemType, AllocationUnitSize, FileSystemLabel