First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
You can safely skip the first 7 minutes unless you crave minutiae....

Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
While an "Italian Tune Up" might help a little (probably not but it'll be fun anyways :wink:) it's not going to prevent carbon build up on the valves with a DI motor. You need Port Injection to wash the back side off which we don't have.
Ima still try it , maybe others just aren't revving it high enough ?
Still worth it , even if it's an extra $500 every few years. . .

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
While an "Italian Tune Up" might help a little (probably not but it'll be fun anyways :wink:) it's not going to prevent carbon build up on the valves with a DI motor. You need Port Injection to wash the back side off which we don't have.
Some DI motors have 'pre-injectors' that squirt just enough gas on the backsides of the valves to keep them clean.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Don't those motors have injectors to wash the backsides of the valves though?
No but I'm specifically referring to the MZR DISI which had a DI system very similar to the Ranger. I didn't realize there were non-DI MZR motors out there!
Are you saying higher RPM's is my friend ? We are already pretty close so I may not have an issue ...
I'm referring to the ability to get those parts hot, not wash the valves but as @Progeny2021 has shared via the EE video, I can infer that it isn't that simple to make a blanket statement about it so I stand corrected! I clearly don't have the resources to test my theory lol.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Brings back memories of me doing this to the Tercels back in the mid 80's. They had a side draft carb very lean and a poor pcv system that would coke up them valves pretty good.
Quite a job when the intake is on the backside of a transverse engine with dozens of vacuum lines attached. Those cars wouldn't get out of their own way when cold.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Just a guess but is this a case where an oil catch can helps? Isn't everything the can catches otherwise going past the intake valves?
Yes, thatā€™s one of the main reasons for putting one in. Plenty of opinions of their usefulness or effectiveness depending on who you talk to.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The video makes it look like it took apart half the engine bay? That must be costly too no?

Anyone think this might be covered under an extended warranty if it is the cause of a misfire?

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Yes, thatā€™s one of the main reasons for putting one in. Plenty of opinions of their usefulness or effectiveness depending on who you talk to.
What confuses me thereā€™s supposedly 2 catch cans already running on the motor in video #1. When they were installed, who knows. 40 thousand miles on the motor
just sayinā€™

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I would think tune, valve timing events, EGR and driving habits would have a lot to do with it as well as fuel and oil.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I will keep changing my oil at 5,000 mile intervals. Still have a ways to go before I get to that 40-50 mark.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
I will keep changing my oil at 5,000 mile intervals. Still have a ways to go before I get to that 40-50 mark.
Iā€™m at 44k now. Change my oil around every 5000mi. I get 21mpg with 33s. No misfires, no CEL, no loss of performance or issues to reportā€¦. yet
Maybe some members with higher mileage will chime in

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Iā€™m at 44k now. Change my oil around every 5000mi. I get 21mpg with 33s. No misfires, no CEL, no loss of performance or issues to reportā€¦. yet
Maybe some members with higher mileage will chime in
Good to hear.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I just downshift periodically until the revs go up.
Sponsored