Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger without factory tow package.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
That TSB applies to vehicles with the trailer tow option.
That's correct, my apologies. I'm working off info my local dealership gave me.

Out of frustration I initially took my car to the dealer with the TBC installed minus the 2 wires to pay them to find them and splice them in. They had my truck nearly all day only to call and tell me that the bundle of wires for the TBC was missing. They checked trucks on the lot, and they all had the harness, tow package or not. They said they made some calls and there was a TSB underway for Rangers missing the harness, but they couldn't do anything until then.

It makes no sense why they would include the harness on some no-tow XL's and not others. They only thing I could think is possibly parts shortages and the harnesses were prioritized to the higher trims and lower trims with the tow package. I don't know, mines all installed and working but I feel for anyone going through this. The TBC is already enough of a pain to install.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
That's correct, my apologies. I'm working off info my local dealership gave me.

Out of frustration I initially took my car to the dealer with the TBC installed minus the 2 wires to pay them to find them and splice them in. They had my truck nearly all day only to call and tell me that the bundle of wires for the TBC was missing. They checked trucks on the lot, and they all had the harness, tow package or not. They said they made some calls and there was a TSB underway for Rangers missing the harness, but they couldn't do anything until then.

It makes no sense why they would include the harness on some no-tow XL's and not others. They only thing I could think is possibly parts shortages and the harnesses were prioritized to the higher trims and lower trims with the tow package. I don't know, mines all installed and working but I feel for anyone going through this. The TBC is already enough of a pain to install.
Glad this got worked for you and your dealer work with you to resolve it. Hopefully this will help others with this harness missing.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Glad this got worked for you and your dealer work with you to resolve it. Hopefully this will help others with this harness missing.
The TSB wouldn't have covered me because I don't have the trailer tow package. I ended up running the wires myself, which seems like the only option if you don't have the tow pack, and are lucky enough to end up with one of Rangers missing them.

Jeff in Ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX2
I posted all of this on another thread...

After doing extensive research looking at my own truck and the multitude of factory wiring diagrams and part numbers for such items, here is the be all end all of trailer brake controllers.

XL models without co-pilot 360 AND without the factory tow package:
-These do NOT have the four wires under the driver kick panel to connect a trailer brake controller to. You will need to run wires into the cab for your Redarc module.
-Activation of the trailer turn signals and trailer brake lights is done by relays in the main fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. The trailer back up lights are also controlled by a relay in this location. The truck DOES NOT know when you have a trailer connected.
-There is a main harness connector (C422) on the drivers side frame rail. It connects everything from the back of the truck to the front of the truck. The wire harness that goes to the back DOES have the 10 ga blue wire in pin location 18 that is for trailer brakes. The same wire harness DOES have the 6 ga orange wire in pin location 19 for 12V power to a trailer. The problem is the other side of the connecter that comes from the front of the truck...it has small gauge (14 or 16) grey wires in both pin locations. These grey wires go nowhere as they are heat shrinked over up in the harness. Do not go looking for them as you cannot use them because the wire is too small. Any grey wires coming out of Ford connectors are dead ended in the harness at somepoint...that is they go nowhere. They are just filling in empty pin spaces in the connector. In order to use a 7 pin trailer connector and trailer brake controller, you will have to splice into the orange and blue wire after this connector in order to have 12V trailer power and trailer brakes. Obviously the blue wire would go to your trailer brake controller, the orange wire must go to the battery with a fuse on it. Be aware, if you run the orange wire this way, the 12V at the 7 pin will always now be 'hot'. All other trailer light functions will work.
-Co-Pilot 360 gets you the additional wiring that is missing above and MAYBE a TRM module (see below for what a TRM module is). The factory tow package gets you the additional wiring that is missing above and a TRM module. If you are frugal like me and bought an XL without both of these options, the above its your reality for installing a brake controller. If you have either of these options....drop to the next section...you are lucky....

All other trim levels:
-You DO have the four wire under the driver kick panel to connect a trailer brake controller to. Follow the instructions for your controller.
-Activation of the trailer items is done by the TRM module located under the passenger side kick panel. Some people mistakenly think this is a brake module...it is NOT....TRM is "Trailer Lighting Module". It controls the trailer turn signals, and stop lights. It also turns off the orange 12V to the trailer when the truck is off after the accessory power timer expires. The TRM module is also what lets the truck know you have a trailer connected to the truck. Trailer back up lights are still controlled by a relay. Matter of fact, you may actually have all the relays in your engine fuse box, but your truck is programmed to use the TRM for trailer light functions and NOT the relays (except for back up lights).
-Both sides of the C422 connector mentioned above have all the wires needed going to front and back of truck.

A word on the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) and brake controllers:
-Ford uses the CHMSL and the Lumen module because the signal to the CHMSL from the truck is pulse width modulated. The Lumen module takes this pulse width modulated signal and converts it into a regular digital (on/off) signal that the Redarc can use for brake indication. Ford uses the CHMSL because the truck computer lights it up when the Automatic Emergency Braking or the Adaptive Cruise Control applies the brakes instead of you stepping on the brakes. If you choose not to use the Ford Lumen module, turn these features off (and pay attention when you are driving!) and tie into output of the brake pedal position switch for a signal to your trailer brake controller. This is the 'violate with white stripe' wire coming out of connector C278 on the brake pedal.

Common Questions:
-If I have and XL without co-pilot 360 AND without the factory tow package, can I add a TRM module and then use FORSCAN to program to make the truck use this instead of the underhood trailer light relays. The answer is NO. The main dash wiring harness doe NOT have the connectors needed to plug into a TRM module.

-I am electrical by nature and know my way around a connector. can I take apart the front side of C422, remove the small gauge grey wires and replace them with the correct gauge blue and orange wires? The current answer is NO. Ford does not currently sell individual pins or individual wire pigtail kits for the positions you need for this connector. They will sell you the entire connector for a very large sum. The male (front) connector is KU2Z-14S411-TA. Details on these connectors can be found in documentation Safety Recall 19S43 if you are curious as to how they come apart and what the pin positions are.

-I have 2021+ XL model with the STX Special Edition Package but do NOT have Co-Pilot and do NOT have the factory trailer tow package. This package DOES give you the 8" LCD touchscreen, SYNC3 and Dual zone Electronic Climate Control. This means you probably DO have the main dash harness that would have connections for a TRM module, but you may NOT have the actual module.... you will have to pop off the passenger kick panel and look. You may also have the 4 wires under the drivers kick panel...once again, take a look.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger that did not come from factory with the tow package and says maximum towing capacity for my 2020 XL 4x4 is 1650 lbs. Ford Customer service says what the dealer told me is correct. Technically I guess, the rear hitch is simply bolt on and can be added to any Ranger. It would however be a pointless upgrade as without the ability to install a brake controller, you cannot tow over 1650 lbs. I know I can easily add an aftermarket TBC but am trying to maintain compliance with other Ford systems like the emergency braking by using the correct Ford part.

Reading through this forum it seems others have had the the dealer install the hitch (all that is in the factory tow package) and TBC. Can anyone specifically confirm this?

Added below for clarity:

I have already purchased and installed the OEM hitch / wiring and (almost) the Ford Redarc TBC as I was hoping to tow my 4250 lb trailer on the belief that the hitch (and 7 pin wiring) was all that was included in the factory tow package, therefore getting me the max 7500 lb capacity.

I was stuck completing the install of the TBC as I couldn't find the two wires under the dash so I took it to the dealer for help. I wanted the Ford Redarc part to ensure compatibility with the emergency braking system. The dealer is telling me that this is not possible on a truck without the factory tow package, therefor limiting me to 1650 lbs - or 3500 lbs if I put an aftermarket TBC in that will not work with the EBS.
2019 XLT, with tow.
Added brake controller, BUT DEALER had to add their wiring from controller back to factory plug. Labor inten$$ive.

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Sport Pack
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
My 2019 has the tow package but I ended up getting a Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. So simple, no wiring. Plugs into the 7 pin socket, then plug the trailer into the Curt. Trailer brakes are Bluetooth controlled by my Android phone. No wiring involved. And it can be transferred to another vehicle if needed.
So did I. It works very well and needs no wire harness changes. My brother-in-law XLT Fx4 sport option went to a trailer place to get a trailer Brake Controller installed. Result was not able to install and the tech damaged the wire harness. Wire harness needed to be replaced and he ended up getting the Curt Echo which has worked flawlessly ever since.

Reactions: EJH

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I posted all of this on another thread...
Thank you for all your research and this detailed and informative report on your findings. It does explain a lot of the issues and questions that have popped up in this forum.

Makes me very glad I went with the XLT and the tow package on mine. The XL was missing too many of the creature conforts I wanted and my intent was to tow my TT. I use the basic Redarc controller, as Ford did not have their kit out when I needed to pull my TT. Don't have ACC and wouldn't use it while towing anyway. As far as AEB, always drive attentively, especially while towing. Its only gone off twice in two years because of idiots pulling in front of me.

Make me sorry for the people who frugally out, and decided to tow something later. Ford really should have made it know that this model was handy caped in the towing potential.

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Thank you for all your research and this detailed and informative report on your findings. It does explain a lot of the issues and questions that have popped up in this forum.

Makes me very glad I went with the XLT and the tow package on mine. The XL was missing too many of the creature conforts I wanted and my intent was to tow my TT. I use the basic Redarc controller, as Ford did not have their kit out when I needed to pull my TT. Don't have ACC and wouldn't use it while towing anyway. As far as AEB, always drive attentively, especially while towing. Its only gone off twice in two years because of idiots pulling in front of me.

Make me sorry for the people who frugally out, and decided to tow something later. Ford really should have made it know that this model was handy caped in the towing potential.
I have an STX, and installed the hitch from eTrailer and the Ford brake controller with the center mount light harness. Ran the blue wire back to the plug and spliced. Works great towing the scout trailer, which is about 5k lbs. Used the Light Force integrated switch panel to mount the controller.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This seems like a nice controller but was kinda put off by the disclaimer :(

"Not recommended if you would get annoyed using a mobile app to operate the controller, especially if you use your phone for maps or music while towing ."

So I take it that while towing you can't use the bluetooth for anything else ?
You could always use an old phone specifically to control the echo.
Sponsored