#fakenews: DIYers Take Note – the 2019 Ford Ranger’s Oil Change Procedure Contains a Big Extra Step

E365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Here’s a video of an oil change on an Aussie 3.2 diesel Ranger. Filter location looks very similar to the 2.3 EcoBoost. Rear left of block, mounted horizontally.

He just turns the steering wheel to full right lock and can access it that way. He (and other videos) mention access from the top is possible too.

If someone gets full access to a US spec
Ranger, take some pics for us from the top down on the filter. I’m wondering if the 2.3
EB has access from the top too.

Sponsored

Joe Holcomb

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS Durango SRT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done a few oil changed in my day, I will post a video or pics for reference as soon as I get mine.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Remains to be seen. We will as a group figure it out. Hell life to short to sweat the small shit.

Reactions: Ric

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
So, according to the video, if you take too long to change the oil, "the sump will drain and will fail to self prime".....how do they prime it the first time ???

E365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So, according to the video, if you take too long to change the oil, "the sump will drain and will fail to self prime".....how do they prime it the first time ???
Just a guess, but since that 3.2 Duratorq uses a cartridge filter, I wonder if you could add oil to the filter housing and backfill towards the pump?

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Had a 2000 Chrysler 300M and had to change the battery. Took a while to figure out that we had to remove a tire and remove an access panel to get to it.
My parents had a Pontiac Aztec. In order to change the battery, you had to remove this giant metal structural brace that is bolted across the top of the battery and part of the intake tube.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
You can see the location of the oil filter in this video. Granted the body isn't attached, but it doesn't look too hard to get to...

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
You can see the location of the oil filter in this video. Granted the body isn't attached, but it doesn't look too hard to get to...
We'll see when we get our hands on them. I definitely hate the horizontal position vs. a vertical setup; so much more cleanup.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We'll see when we get our hands on them. I definitely hate the horizontal position vs. a vertical setup; so much more cleanup.
Agreed. I wish engineers would be forced to work on what they design. It would reduce or eliminate stupid things like this. It does appear the location is similar to the euro diesel so maybe it can be accessed without removing the tire.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
If these Ford plastic "push pins" are anything like those Mopar ones on my Jeep Wrangler, then I should start hoarding some extras since the Jeep ones disintegrate after a couple of removals/replacements...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If these Ford plastic "push pins" are anything like those Mopar ones on my Jeep Wrangler, then I should start hoarding some extras since the Jeep ones disintegrate after a couple of removals/replacements...
I agree - if anyone knows of a good source for these kinds of things, I'd love to see it. There are SO many variations of the same concept it seems.