Boost tow capacity (a little?)

Diver4242

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi, we're eying a travel trailer for our 2021 Ranger XLT that would push the tow rating if fully loaded (7,850 lbs). We're not heading anywhere mountainous, just local, fairly flat terrain, and probably not fully loaded. But still, is there a way to boost the tow rating? We already have the brake controller installed and weight distribution hitch.
Sponsored

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger lariat
Hi, we're eying a travel trailer for our 2021 Ranger XLT that would push the tow rating if fully loaded (7,850 lbs). We're not heading anywhere mountainous, just local, fairly flat terrain, and probably not fully loaded. But still, is there a way to boost the tow rating? We already have the brake controller installed and weight distribution hitch.
You could sell the ranger and get an f150. Short of that you're just pushing your luck

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
No safe way to boost the capacity. It's set by a combination of factors, what the engine/trans/rear end can handle under a full, heavy load, frame/springs suspension, and very important, what the hitch itself is rated at based on it's materials and construction (hitch capacity is set by the manufacturer, not Ford)
Brake controller and a weight distribution hitch have nothing to do with the tow capacity of the vehicle....only how well/safe it is to tow.
Even modifying one factor, like shocks/springs/heavy duty tires, still leaves everything else at stock rating.
That being said, the trailer weight is really only a part, the other being the tongue weight, which based on your trailer weight, will most likely be over the 750 lb rating.
Your Ranger, being a dumb piece of assembled parts, will not refuse to start or move should you continue, and it does not know the difference between 7500 and 7850 lbs....
Could the Ranger tow it....yes. Should you tow it....I'd vote no.
If just for short distances, local as you posted...probably won't hurt. But we all know that "short" trips turn into longer, and than longer as you get complacent.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought the blue sumo springs help.
The Sumo's do not increase the rating. They only replace the hollow rubber bump stops that prevent metal to metal contact between frame/spring/rear end when a load is placed on the rear.
The OE bump stops, when truck is carrying a heavy load in rear do not give much cushioning and that is the "jarring" you will feel going over a bump or dip.
The Sumo's are a different material, that acts as a cushion between the parts, thus getting rid of the "slap" between parts. It acts as a progressive cushion and does not fully compress like the OE stop.
Think a firm piece of memory foam as opposed to a piece of plain open cell foam.

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
From an engineering perspective, I’m sure you’d be fine (as most engineers are told to put in some “wiggle room” depending on a lot of factors such as budget, profits, longevity goals, etc.

The issue is if anything were to ever come up, would towing above the rated capacity (and exceeding GCWR) look good to a bunch of lawyers?

Most likely no, and they’ll use that as the first reason to blame as to why someone died, was injured, etc.

YMMV, and the truck could probably do it. I just wouldn’t want to be on the end of a lawsuit if something were to happen.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You didn't post what trailer your considering, or its dry weight/dry tongue weight.
There is usually a 1500 lb to sometimes 2000 lb difference between dry/empty weight and fully loaded weight.
Unless your planning to load it up fully and run with full water tanks, you might never hit the max fully loaded rating of the trailer.
You might be well under the max rating of the Ranger....just depends on what you load.
Whats the make/model/year of the rig your looking at ?

OP
OP
Diver4242

Diver4242

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
2022 Grand Design 2600RB dry weight 5,795 lbs, GVWR 7,850 lbs, hitch weight 594 lbs. I just saw another person here had towed the same rig quite a distance without problems in a 2019 Ranger. Yes, depends on how much load other than 'dry' weight, completely aware.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2022 Grand Design 2600RB dry weight 5,795 lbs, GVWR 7,850 lbs, hitch weight 594 lbs. I just saw another person here had towed the same rig quite a distance without problems in a 2019 Ranger. Yes, depends on how much load other than 'dry' weight, completely aware.
I looked at the specs/layout of the 2600RB. Dry/empty weight/tongue weight is well within the Ranger's capacity. There is a 2000 lb payload for that trailer, and unless you load it to the max, I doubt you'll ever hit the max weight.
Most manufacturers do not count full propane tanks or the battery/s in their empty/dry weight, so automatically add 75-100 lbs to the hitch weight as both sit right at the front of the frame.....add some weight to the front storage compartment and you will be close to the 750 rating of the Ranger, but even a bit over isn't going to do any harm.
Then, do not forget the load your carrying in the Ranger, occupants, "stuff" in the bed, ect....your truck is probably going to be at max also.
I'd guess that ready to roll you'd be looking at around 7000 lbs, and right at the 750 tongue weight for the trailer, which is right at what my rig runs at.
This is not a rig for a novice, but if your experienced, it shouldn't be a problem.
Basically it's based on you and your comfort level/experience.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Regardless what others might say or think the simple answer is no. The maximum safe tow rating for your Ranger as long as it is equipped with the factory tow package meaning that you have the class 3/4 tow hitch is 7,500 lb with a 750 lb tongue weight. If you go over that tow rating and you get into an accident for any reason you can be held liable because you were over your towing capacity. Ford will not be held liable because of that silly decision. Your insurance will not be held liable because of that silly decision. You as the owner and operator will be held liable for that decision. If you insist on getting that trailer you need to get a different vehicle that has a towing capacity that can handle it. Simple as that

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Regardless what others might say or think the simple answer is no. The maximum safe tow rating for your Ranger as long as it is equipped with the factory tow package meaning that you have the class 3/4 tow hitch is 7,500 lb with a 750 lb tongue weight. If you go over that tow rating and you get into an accident for any reason you can be held liable because you were over your towing capacity. Ford will not be held liable because of that silly decision. Your insurance will not be held liable because of that silly decision. You as the owner and operator will be held liable for that decision. If you insist on getting that trailer you need to get a different vehicle that has a towing capacity that can handle it. Simple as that
I don't know your background, your past as far as towing, specifically with rv's, and if you did, what you towed, and what type of vehicles.
But, in the not so distant past, the 80' and 90's, the trucks we had were very underpowered compared to now, and their tow ratings were much less than now....some 3/4 ton rated were rated less than our Rangers. Drum rear brakes, 4 speed automatics.
And, the campers/travel trailers were heavy, the "dry" weight was almost always more than manuf. posted. Many trailers came out of the factory able to load just a few hundred lbs before hitting their max.
Yet, somehow we survived, towing overloaded trailers with underpower/rated trucks....millions and millions of miles.
Now some seem to get their panties in a wedgie when someone mentions towing a trailer a few hundred lbs more than the truck is rated for, or tongue weight is 50 lbs more than rated...
Let it go...unless you have "been there and done that" it seems like your just going by the advertised specks, as opposed to the real world owning and towing experience.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I don't know your background, your past as far as towing, specifically with rv's, and if you did, what you towed, and what type of vehicles.
But, in the not so distant past, the 80' and 90's, the trucks we had were very underpowered compared to now, and their tow ratings were much less than now....some 3/4 ton rated were rated less than our Rangers. Drum rear brakes, 4 speed automatics.
And, the campers/travel trailers were heavy, the "dry" weight was almost always more than manuf. posted. Many trailers came out of the factory able to load just a few hundred lbs before hitting their max.
Yet, somehow we survived, towing overloaded trailers with underpower/rated trucks....millions and millions of miles.
Now some seem to get their panties in a wedgie when someone mentions towing a trailer a few hundred lbs more than the truck is rated for, or tongue weight is 50 lbs more than rated...
Let it go...unless you have "been there and done that" it seems like your just going by the advertised specks, as opposed to the real world owning and towing experience.
Have I don't near as much towing as you? Probably not since I'm sure you have been towing things well before I was even though of.

With that said even I know that back in the day we had vehicles that were in the same class that did. It even comes close to the Towing Capacity of the new Ranger and other vehicles. I know a lot of it comes down to the Suspension and Brakes on the vehicle along with how the vehicle was designed from the factory.

Could you get away with a few hundred pounds over capacity? Sure. Would I recommend it? Of course not since the Brakes are what you are relying on to stop and I already know what it's like to have the brakes not do their job when towing...... Not something I want to experience again.....

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
You could sell the ranger and get an f150. Short of that you're just pushing your luck
sadly this is the right response... if this was a 1 time deal you would be fine... but this seems to be a regular occurrence thus your pushing your luck.