Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
when i see the older trailers like that i always think geez what a beast to tow. esp with old school brakes etc. i think folks were more careful drivers in those days.
When I welded my trailer, I used a pair of mobile home axles and had surge brakes. So 6 drum brakes and a 30% chance of going straight if locked up. The only time I ever did lock them all up was an early morning with a Jamocha shake in my hand, the top and doors off, and a seen-too-late 4-way stop sign. Thankfully, no one was around and the road was a bit wet, so I just slid through the intersection clutching my shake!

what it felt like, but more pucker than pirate! =D
1704222642892.png
Sponsored

Steve l

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4 xlt
Hi, we're eying a travel trailer for our 2021 Ranger XLT that would push the tow rating if fully loaded (7,850 lbs). We're not heading anywhere mountainous, just local, fairly flat terrain, and probably not fully loaded. But still, is there a way to boost the tow rating? We already have the brake controller installed and weight distribution hitch.
Need to load it up like u would, take it to the scales and see what u have. Including tongue weight only way u will know what u have. I would not go over the 750 tongue limit or 7500 total limit......

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Need to load it up like u would, take it to the scales and see what u have. Including tongue weight only way u will know what u have. I would not go over the 750 tongue limit or 7500 total limit......
I agree with the loaded scale part, but a little difficult to do before you buy.

You need to look at your trucks ratings and the trailers manufacturers specs. Then figure your tongue weight at between 10 and 15 percent of the trailers GVWR number. And keep all these within your trucks ratings, including the trucks GCVWR, GVWR and tongue weight ratings.

Once you've made your purchase then you can load it up and take it the scale and make any needed adjustments with what and how you loaded it.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, we're eying a travel trailer for our 2021 Ranger XLT that would push the tow rating if fully loaded (7,850 lbs). We're not heading anywhere mountainous, just local, fairly flat terrain, and probably not fully loaded. But still, is there a way to boost the tow rating? We already have the brake controller installed and weight distribution hitch.
I pulled 8000 lb a couple months ago and it went alright. I only drove <10 min on the road, then a couple miles off road to deliver the load to my mtb trail work sites. It was heavy enough that I wouldn't want to get in traffic with it, but it didn't feel particularly unsafe. Should probably go a little smaller for your travel trailer.
Sponsored