Can the tow package be added by the dealer?

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 Cyber Orange
Occupation
Software Engineer
I signed a contract with my dealer for a XLT with the factory tow package. My dealer was supposed to get the truck from another dealer, but somebody dropped the ball and somehow my truck is no longer available. This is a total foobar situation. I was supposed to get the truck today.

My dealer does have a similar XLT without the tow package, and they're saying they can add it. My understanding is that the factory tow package includes a different bumper, wiring harness, and a bigger radiator. Is this something they can do?
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I signed a contract with my dealer for a XLT with the factory tow package. My dealer was supposed to get the truck from another dealer, but somebody dropped the ball and somehow my truck is no longer available. This is a total foobar situation. I was supposed to get the truck today.

My dealer does have a similar XLT without the tow package, and they're saying they can add it. My understanding is that the factory tow package includes a different bumper, wiring harness, and a bigger radiator. Is this something they can do?
Absolutely something they can do. The radiator is the same with and without the tow package, and everything else is just pull off the non-tow package version and add on the new one. Quite a few forum members have had this done after purchase.

OP
OP
CaliBee

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
What about Tow and Haul mode? Isn't there a button to activate tow and haul mode that changes the transmission shift points?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Do be clear on whether you want the oem or a third party receiver. Functionally it shouldn't matter but the third party ones will hang a little lower. The backend of the ranger is so high off the ground that usually isn't an issue, and some might even prefer less drop in the hitch. Anyway, I think some people have reported their dealer adding a third party and being annoyed, so talk about it up front if you care. (It does cost a lot more.) Also make sure they're going to add the 7 pin socket. I'd probably get whatever the final decision is in writing, with a clear description of each piece.

IIRC tow haul mode is in all the rangers. The tow package really doesn't add much.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I was told that tow package from factory does have a larger radiator, the cabin features / systems for control while using it along with the box wiring harnesses. The actual hitch isn’t a big factor at all. On my invoice it was $495 for the package if that helps.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told that tow package from factory does have a larger radiator, the cabin features / systems for control while using it along with the box wiring harnesses. The actual hitch isn’t a big factor at all. On my invoice it was $495 for the package if that helps.
You were given incorrect information. The sales guy was more likely ignorant than dishonest, but it could go either way. Yes it's $495, and yes that's ridiculous for a hitch receiver and 7 pin socket, but that's pretty industry standard these days.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Are they going to replace the door sticker that says max tow is 3500#? Because that's the legal limit for you, regardless of if you have the tow package added, afaik.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Are they going to replace the door sticker that says max tow is 3500#? Because that's the legal limit for you, regardless of if you have the tow package added, afaik.
This is incorrect.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I asked about the dealer adding the receiver. They pretty much said I was better off going aftermarket and doing it myself. I ended up doing it myself. It was easy and much cheaper.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I asked about the dealer adding the receiver. They pretty much said I was better off going aftermarket and doing it myself. I ended up doing it myself. It was easy and much cheaper.
Wow, a dealer that didn't want your money. :oops:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah, there are some posts on here that go through what's required for the OEM swap. if you convert all that work to stealership labor rates...:shock:

OP
OP
CaliBee

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for the feedback. My dealer is going to add the OEM tow package as part of the deal, and I'm now the owner of a new Ranger!
Sponsored