First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I might have answered my own question, but I'm not sure. Having nothing else to do this morning, I deep dove into the FMCSA's rather abstruse regulations:
Title 49 Codified Federal Reculations; § 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility. sub paragraph s6.2:
(b) Final requirements. Each multipurpose passenger vehicle, low-speed vehicle, truck, bus, and school bus with a GVWR of 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) or less manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, shall display a rearview image meeting the requirements of S6.2.1 through S6.2.7..."
Pages of stuff relating to the field of view, night visibility, resolution ad nauseum, but the normal people version is basically as long as you have rearview mirrors capable of reflecting their defined area, that's ok too, but maybe not.

You get regs like this written by people living in the DC area that take the train everywhere.
Without going and reading it msyelf, I'd guess that it's probably that new vehicles need to come equipped with a camera, but that existing or modified vehicles do not.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You get regs like this written by people living in the DC area that take the train everywhere.
Regardless of the silly swipe at where people live, this all seems fairly straightforward. Officially the manual (updated version--2019 doesn't mention it at all) says the tailgate can be removed to make it easier to load/unload the truck. If you take the tailgate off to load/unload the truck, it's on you to get the camera working again when you're done just like it would be on you to put the headlights back if you took those out for some reason. If you're using the truck off-highway you can probably get away with never putting the tailgate back on.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
AFAIK a working backup camera isn’t an inspection issue, if your state has inspections. While it has to be included in your truck, nothing says you have to have it working. Heck, I think you can disable it through Sync.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
You live on a Farm and want to "prep work" for the next day. Yet you live in Seattle and can't leave anything unlocked? These two statements are at odds with one another.

Sounds Ike somebody should've sprung for intelligent access.
How so? Do you live where you work??

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
How so? Do you live where you work??
My fault, between it being your farm and talking about prepping work for the next day I ASSumed you live there.

People who have never seen a farm can't fathom that not everyone that works there lives there.
I grew up in Kansas and work at a dairy. I know a little bit about farming. ;)

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
My fault, between it being your farm and talking about prepping work for the next day I ASSumed you live there.

I grew up in Kansa and work at a dairy. I know a little bit about farming. ;)
looks like we both ASSumed, good for us

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They have dairy farms in Kansas? I thought they just grew wheat, and I actually lived in Wichita for a year.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
They have dairy farms in Kansas? I thought they just grew wheat, and I actually lived in Wichita for a year.
Not many.

I live in Colorado now.

Wheat mostly for sure. I get a little offended when people say "..out there with all the corn..."

"Ummm, no, that's Nebraska."

I grew up in the Wichita area and worked my fair share of wheat harvests as a youngster. As I always say, "it's a good place to be from."

Glad for you that you only spent a year there. Did you work in aviation?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not many.

I live in Colorado now.

Wheat mostly for sure. I get a little offended when people say "..out there with all the corn..."

"Ummm, no, that's Nebraska."

I grew up in the Wichita area and worked my fair share of wheat harvests as a youngster. As I always say, "it's a good place to be from."

Glad for you that you only spent a year there. Did you work in aviation?
Hi Doug,

My Mom is from Conway Springs....30 miles south of Wichita. I spent many summers in the area and many wheat harvests as my Uncles and Aunts were all Wheat farmers. Drove a tractor at age 10 along side of a combine and then back to the silo/auger and back to the fields again. Hard work but honest work....Aunts brought the meals to the field. Long gone times from what I understand. Cousins still live in Conway Springs. Fond of those times...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We seem to have squirrelled away from the original question. OP, did you get it fixed? RP has your answer. Should be a 10 minute project, not intrusive at all.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

My Mom is from Conway Springs....30 miles south of Wichita. I spent many summers in the area and many wheat harvests as my Uncles and Aunts were all Wheat farmers. Drove a tractor at age 10 along side of a combine and then back to the silo/auger and back to the fields again. Hard work but honest work....Aunts brought the meals to the field. Long gone times from what I understand. Cousins still live in Conway Springs. Fond of those times...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Been through there a few times, I knew you were good people.

My first "promotion" was being told I would drive the combine that year at the start of the season when I was 13!

From what I understand many family farms can't keep up with the cost of machinery and it's repairs any longer. As such, gone are the days of hiring a bunch of kids to help out. Most folks rely on contracting out to traveling harvest crews nowadays.

We think technology creep into road cars is bad? Try spending half a million dollars on a combine to find out you can't change your own oil.

this is good ol' Canadian farming

1619833083599.png
Nice backyard!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
They grow aircraft there

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I grew up in dairy farm and apple orchard country. Worked on a farm that raised cattle until they were breeding age and then sold them off. Also grew a lot of potatoes.

Any guesses on how many potatoes it takes to kill an Irishman?