First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
Not a fan of the locking tailgate at all and wondering if there is a way to disable this? I saw a couple ideas to take the tailgate cover off and dissconnect the solenoid, but wondering if there is a less invasive way to stop it from locking.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not a fan of the locking tailgate at all and wondering if there is a way to disable this? I saw a couple ideas to take the tailgate cover off and dissconnect the solenoid, but wondering if there is a less invasive way to stop it from locking.
Does it have it's own fuse?

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
Does it have it's own fuse?
I thought about that, but someone else commented on a different forum that you shouldn't remove a fuse as they generally run multiple things.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
Just curious, why don’t you like it? That’s one of my favorite features
I do a lot of ad-hock work on my farm where I don't have my keys near me. It's a huge pain when your arms are full or have a lot to load and you have to run to the house to get the keys.

Sometimes I prep my work for the next day and hate it when I have to go get the keys. Very annoying so want it disabled.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I do a lot of ad-hock work on my farm where I don't have my keys near me. It's a huge pain when your arms are full or have a lot to load and you have to run to the house to get the keys.

Sometimes I prep my work for the next day and hate it when I have to go get the keys. Very annoying so want it disabled.
I think there is a way to turn it off, I saw it in a video before I bought my truck. I will try to find it.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
best way is probably to just take the cover off and disconnect the wire to the solenoid or locking mechanism if you disconnect it at the harness at the bottom of the tailgate you lose the back up camera too.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I cant find what I had seen, but saw a video specifically talking about it, so if on a job site for example you could have the cab locked but the tail unlocked. The manual sucks so bad that it's not in there.

But, if you dont mind the cab being unlocked then just be sure to unlock everything before you leave and it will remain unlocked.

If you want to just disconnect it: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tail-gate-lock.9053/

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wonder if there's a way to do it with ForScan? If not I'd would do what Jay suggests and disconnect the wire to the solenoid.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
I cant find what I had seen, but saw a video specifically talking about it, so if on a job site for example you could have the cab locked but the tail unlocked. The manual sucks so bad that it's not in there.

But, if you dont mind the cab being unlocked then just be sure to unlock everything before you leave and it will remain unlocked.
I live in Seattle proper, so can't leave anything unlocked or it will get jacked in 30 seconds, so prob will just disconnect the solenoid.

I had hoped there might be a hidden menu option but maybe not.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I wish I could find the video I saw and will keep looking. It shouldn't be so hard to find this info, but, you know.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I live in Seattle proper, so can't leave anything unlocked or it will get jacked in 30 seconds, so prob will just disconnect the solenoid.

I see a stolen tailgate in your future...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

You live on a Farm and want to "prep work" for the next day. Yet you live in Seattle and can't leave anything unlocked? These two statements are at odds with one another.

Sounds Ike somebody should've sprung for intelligent access.