Disabling Locking Tailgate

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
An option: The disconnect for the tailgate wiring harness can be used.

Crazy as it seems, that plug is shared with Harley Davidson and both halves are readily available.

Using the new connectors, build a short extension but clip the pins for the lock. Adding all the wires will keep the plug waterproof, clipping the pins will disable the lock.

Easy to remove if/when needed.

I'm using that to both add a valet lockout for the back as well as drive the power locks I fabbed up for my Diamondback tonneau.
I like this idea I want a undercover elite and may use this to fab up a lock that works with the trucks system
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Two presses on the remote unlocks the tailgate. You want to keep it simple? thats it. What could be simpler? I dont get all of the curious posting about the tail gate of a PU. :facepalm:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Two presses on the remote unlocks the tailgate. You want to keep it simple? thats it. What could be simpler? I dont get all of the curious posting about the tail gate of a PU. :facepalm:
not locking it and not having to take out a remote...
Going back to the OP"s post #5, he wants to be able to lock the truck but have the tailgate remain unlocked, all without carrying the large key fob ?‍♂. A separate flat key for the exterior locks or a keyless entry pad have been suggested.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Going back to the OP"s post #5, he wants to be able to lock the truck but have the tailgate remain unlocked, all without carrying the large key fob ?‍♂. A separate flat key for the exterior locks or a keyless entry pad have been suggested.
Okay, So pull the connector to the tailgate and use the provided plug to seal up the frame wiring and the tailgate will remain open all the time. Check the glove box for the dummy connector.

en13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 2WD
Vehicle Showcase
Open tailgate. Lock truck. Do farm work, close tailgate. Just like back in the day when beds didnt have locks .. Or dampers.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Open tailgate. Lock truck. Do farm work, close tailgate. Just like back in the day when beds didnt have locks .. Or dampers.
Sequence is off, I think. As I read his post, he wants to have the truck locked, then leave the house and go to the barn/shop/machine shed/whatever the next morning to load the truck with the tailgate still unlocked but with the cab locked and the key fob still back at the house.
Okay, So pull the connector to the tailgate and use the provided plug to seal up the frame wiring and the tailgate will remain open all the time. Check the glove box for the dummy connector.
Can we assume that the rear camera will still function with that connector?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sequence is off, I think. As I read his post, he wants to have the truck locked, then leave the house and go to the barn/shop/machine shed/whatever the next morning to load the truck with the tailgate still unlocked but with the cab locked and the key fob still back at the house.

Can we assume that the rear camera will still function with that connector?
Hi Chris,

No...you will loose the camera too... Good Point!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Other than loosing the back-up camera, unplugging would work great.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Hi Chris,

No...you will loose the camera too... Good Point!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Then I'm surprised. As of 2018, rear cameras are required on all new vehicles-maybe pickups are exempt?
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.02.38.png

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Well, this isn't intended to be permanent, the connector is so you can remove the gate for loading or transporting. In this case, as mentioned, the preferred solution would be to disconnect the solenoid, not the entire gate cable.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One thing nobody has mentioned it that if your tailgate is down your camera is useless anyways. Why not just unplug it and be done with it. ;)

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Keep your keys in your pocket. If you load up the back with bees and leave it unlocked you put yourself in a liability situation. If the tweakers don’t just steal your tailgate, they might get stung. A bee allergy could put you liable for their injury/death.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Then I'm surprised. As of 2018, rear cameras are required on all new vehicles-maybe pickups are exempt?
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.02.38.png
I might have answered my own question, but I'm not sure. Having nothing else to do this morning, I deep dove into the FMCSA's rather abstruse regulations:
Title 49 Codified Federal Reculations; § 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility. sub paragraph s6.2:
(b) Final requirements. Each multipurpose passenger vehicle, low-speed vehicle, truck, bus, and school bus with a GVWR of 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) or less manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, shall display a rearview image meeting the requirements of S6.2.1 through S6.2.7..."
Pages of stuff relating to the field of view, night visibility, resolution ad nauseum, but the normal people version is basically as long as you have rearview mirrors capable of reflecting their defined area, that's ok too, but maybe not.

You get regs like this written by people living in the DC area that take the train everywhere.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I might have answered my own question, but I'm not sure. Having nothing else to do this morning, I deep dove into the FMCSA's rather abstruse regulations:
Title 49 Codified Federal Reculations; § 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility. sub paragraph s6.2:
(b) Final requirements. Each multipurpose passenger vehicle, low-speed vehicle, truck, bus, and school bus with a GVWR of 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) or less manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, shall display a rearview image meeting the requirements of S6.2.1 through S6.2.7..."
Pages of stuff relating to the field of view, night visibility, resolution ad nauseum, but the normal people version is basically as long as you have rearview mirrors capable of reflecting their defined area, that's ok too, but maybe not.

You get regs like this written by people living in the DC area that take the train everywhere.
You hit it on the head, laws and regs are generally written by city slickers who have never been anywhere else. Hell, most have never done an honest days work either.
Sponsored