Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
CB750F
Wife would have preferred a Screw but I wanted the 6' bed.

Showed my wife this and she laughed.
I am going to H E double hockey sticks!
I thought it but didn't say it... ?

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I chose the xlt since i didnt care about push to start, rear windows, and definitely did not want leather seats (never liked them its personal preference coming from california central valley). The only thing i really wanted off the lariat is the headlamps.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Only thing my XLT doesn't have is push button start, adaptive cruise, and front parking sensors. Everything else I wanted I've either added myself or used Forscan to turn on (terrain management, Lariat headlights, etc.).

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
First, please allow me to say if you aren't going to back out of the order no matter what, then you made the perfect choice. If you start questioning it now, you will definitely question it after purchase. Your best bet in that case is to be happy with your XLT choice and not start second guessing yourself.

That being said, I mainly chose the Lariat trim for the push button start. Combined with my smart locks on my house, I rarely ever have to take my keys out of my pocket. There were other features I liked as well, but the push button start was the main driver of my decision. If you are even considering it at this point, look for the truck you want in a Lariat Trim.

The best way to answer your question though, is to ask yourself would you rather:

A) Be remorseful that you went with the XLT over the Lariat?

or

B) Be remorseful that you spent a few thousand dollars more than you needed to purchasing the Lariat that you really didn't need?

If you would rather A, then go with the XLT. If you would rather B, then go with the Lariat.

As others have mentioned, you aren't locked into the purchase. As scarce as vehicles are today, the dealer will probably be happy you did. But then you have to wait for a new order, unless of course you can find the truck you want already on a lot somewhere.

Rest assured that no matter what you choose, the Ranger is an excellent truck. You really can't go wrong.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a Sport Trac with power seats to an STX (has the XLT seats) with manual seats and I don't miss the power seats. I'm pretty much the only one who drives it, it's rare that my wife or daughter use my trucks.
I purposely got an STX because I didn't want the lane-keeping BS that comes with the XLT. I rented a car last year with that and I hated it. Added bonus, this truck didn't have step bars which is fine, all they do is get my pants dirty in the winter.
I went with the STX when I ordered mine because carpet has no place in a truck.....and carpet delete was not a check box for XLT or Lariat.

I also added electronic locker, sliding rear window, tow package, mud flaps.

Might be the only 2019 Sabre Ranger with these options from factory....

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Initially, we were planning to order an XLT SCab for the following reasons:
  • Preferred XLT cluster layout (center digital speedo)
  • Did not want leather seats
After considerable waffling, finally decided to live with the Lariat cluster and ordered a Lariat w/ 501A for:
  • Push button start
  • LED headlamps
  • Additional tech and safety features

I've come to like the Lariat cluster and do enjoy the other extra gadgets. Love our Ranger and plan to keep it for many years.

We made a $500 deposit at time of order. Dealer said we could change our mind anytime prior to purchase and still receive a full refund. Dealers can easily sell cancelled orders. Especially now.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
My take is that no longer than you're going to own the truck, I think you can live with putting the key into the ignition, and turning it. I do that with mine, and it's no problem at all.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I had a similar dilemma going into my purchase. Chose the Lariat because I plan to spend a crap ton of time in my truck and I plan to have it for a long time and enjoy it to it's fullest. Push button start is convenient, the tremor leather/suede seats are great in my opinion, the sound system is great, all the other minor comfort features just add to it. I would've been fine in a XLT but with as much time as I plan to spend in my truck I felt it was worth it to shell out for everything the Lariat offers. If I had another main daily driver and was only going to use this for towing, off roading, truck stuff, etc. I probably would've gone XLT.

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
It is all about personal preferences, I drove both the XLT and Lariat Tremors, for me the XLT lacked too many creature comforts plus I am on the road a lot for work, and I am in and out of the truck many time a day, so fumbling around for keys 15-20 times a day was a deal breaker

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Ordered out my XL with the STX and STX Special Edition packages, and Co Pilot 360 and I had the dealer install heated seats. Really wanted the 18" wheels that came with the SE pkg rather than the ones with the sport appearance pkg, and it includes the 8in screen w/o gps (got a Garmin Zumo XT for that & my bike) so I pretty much got an XLT without a sunglasses holder or power seats. STX's have 6 way manual w/ driver's side lumbar and the same sport cloth as the XLT, for thousands less than a 302A XLT. I had Intelligent Access on my 2015 Flex and the identical instrument cluster that the Lariat has, and they're nice but didn't make the cut on my retirement income, and didn't want leather this time. Heated & turn signal mirrors would have been nice, though. This will be my 20-year/200,000 mile truck, also.
Big change for me: I'm usually a 24-36mo. lessee!

Regnar

First Name
Brud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Wanted to chime in and echo what others have said. I have a 2021 XLT FX4 and I feel like its a good combination of features and price. My choices at the time were my XLT FX4, or a fully loaded Lariat tremor with almost every accessory option that had it just shy of 50k (decals, bed cover, sidesteps, etc). (dealer inventories have been crazy low as we know)

The key issue was kind of take it or leave it - push button is nice, but at the end of the day you still have a key - its just in the ignition instead of your pocket or wherever else. I will for sure have some heaters added to the seats for CO winters, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Oh -- I also prefer the XLT gauges - the Lariate gauges are nice, just not my cup o tea.

For me, I knew that I was going to be modding the truck, and I also knew that I wasn't going to be dropping almost 50K. I'm still really happy with my purchase - ymmv.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one to ask this, but you mentioned that you're in an R&D vehicle - is this vehicle a personal purchase or something for work?

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
XLT Tremor here, coming from our '16 Honda Pilot Touring with keyless entry and keyless go. All the lux features really.... The only thing I kinda miss is the remote start on the key.....but I like how I can start through the app from ranges the key wouldn't work anyway (plus need the extra time to cool in Vegas summers).

Keyless ignition I KINDA miss sometimes when I am in a rush.

That said, my first car which I still own is my '66 Mustang so I also appreciate the mechanical key and such of the XLT. Since I camp in BLM and we RV a lot, I appreciate an actual key to start the truck.

I do not mind the headlights since I always put Baja Designs fog and ditch lights on my vehicles.

In the end, I do not regret the XLT Tremor at all. My wife is bothered by the things I mentioned much more than I am which was a bonus because she has less of a desire to drive the truck lol

Edit: forgot to comment on the mechanical seats. It does not bother me, sure it is nice to have memory for multiple drivers but I get in and out just fine. Yes, $42k is not cheap but the money is put into the truck where it counts. It drives very nice at 45mph on smooth'ish trails. Maybe not as nice as your previous Raptors obviously but I was very impressed once I got it up to speed on dirt.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
My take is that no longer than you're going to own the truck, I think you can live with putting the key into the ignition, and turning it. I do that with mine, and it's no problem at all.
To each his own but yeah, I can turn a key. I can also drive a 1964 Ford Falcon with a stick shift and manual choke and I know when to turn on my own damn headlights.

Simpsons_1.jpg
Sponsored