Battery Replacement

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
My battery died a couple of weeks ago. My meter said 4.7v, it was dead dead . Got it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. Had my truck since they released and it’s at 26k fwiw.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Does Lariat have more room?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Does Lariat have more room?
I want to say they both have the same amount of room and it looks like you can put the bigger battery in. That is what I plan to do when the time comes.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
XL and XLT have group 48. Lariat has group 94 I believe.
Found it in the manual. I believe you are right.

BAGM-48H6-610
BAGM-94RH7-800

Like you, if the Group 94 fits, it goes in.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Costco (Interstate), they will replace it if it fails in less then 6 years... got to love Costco. Great pricing too.
The good thing about Costco is that they don't pro rate their batteries. So if it dies in month 35 you'll get a new one for free. Doing a search on Costco's site they don't carry a battery for the Ranger. "We're sorry. This battery fit for your vehicle is not currently available at Costco."

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
The good thing about Costco is that they don't pro rate their batteries. So if it dies in month 35 you'll get a new one for free. Doing a search on Costco's site they don't carry a battery for the Ranger. "We're sorry. This battery fit for your vehicle is not currently available at Costco."
So true, they are great for returns.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I've heard good things about X2 batteries from Batteries Plus. Personally I'll be going with Odyssey though. Had one in my f150 and had zero issues.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear we only have 1 battery. My wife's Pacifica has 2, one is a smaller "motorcycle" battery used to power things when auto off is "on". Problem is when one of the 2 goes bad, it will eventually take out the other. 1st warning is auto off stops engaging. She thought that was a good thing as she hates it. Luckily it was still under warranty otherwise $400-500 at dealer. And batteries were not easy to find at the time as it was new.
Like the fact that those of us with XLTs can upgrade to a bigger battery.
I feel for you guys in AZ, used to live in Ft Worth, TX and batteries did not last. I got good life keeping an eye on the electrolyte level and adding distilied water regularly.
But I do see longer battery life here in NC.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

When designing the electrical architecture, component packaging, wire loom routing etc is only part of the equation. There are performance metrics that must meet objectives defined by the Program folks. There are thermal requirements that must be met. Batteries are not thrown into the engine compartment and deemed "good to go". They undergo extensive testing. My Lariat battery has a thermal blanket around it, which tells me that the battery did not meet thermal testing requirements. Whether for hot or cold, I do not know but if the battery met the objectives...there would not be the added cost of this thermal blanket.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Phil
Good point
Let me check if my XLT has a thermal blanket.
To be honest every vehicle since my 2006 Frontier has had a blanket. Frontier did not -. Unless I don't remember correctly and the blanket didn't fit the first battery replacement and got chucked!
EDIT
XLTs also have a blanket

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Hi Folks,

When designing the electrical architecture, component packaging, wire loom routing etc is only part of the equation. There are performance metrics that must meet objectives defined by the Program folks. There are thermal requirements that must be met. Batteries are not thrown into the engine compartment and deemed "good to go". They undergo extensive testing. My Lariat battery has a thermal blanket around it, which tells me that the battery did not meet thermal testing requirements. Whether for hot or cold, I do not know but if the battery met the objectives...there would not be the added cost of this thermal blanket.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

So does that also mean XLT's can't or shouldn't upgrade to the Lariat sized battery? And what is the rationale in giving the Lariat a bigger battery?
  • Was it just cost savings to keep the XLT $50 more competitive?
  • Does the Lariat have an inverter that requires a bigger battery?
  • Is it just "nicer?"
  • Was Ford just being a dick to the little guy?

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

So does that also mean XLT's can't or shouldn't upgrade to the Lariat sized battery? And what is the rationale in giving the Lariat a bigger battery?
  • Is it just "nicer?"

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
  • Is it just "nicer?"
Hi Greg,

I would say you are probably correct on a cost difference for a Lariat battery. Likely the electrical demand requirements are quite a bit different for the Lariat to neccessitate a larger battery and the cost difference was most likely factored into the upgrade to the Lariat option.

So was Ford screwing "the little guy"....likely not. Every truck gets a battery that does the job for the electrical requirements.... However there may be a complexity factor in play. Lets say XL gets one size, XLT bigger and Lariat even bigger...under this hypothetical example, it may be cost effective to give the XL an XLT battery, thus reducing complexity at the assembly plant.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored