First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I believe but what’s the reference? Is it in the owner manual, or shop manual?
Both technically. The procedure in the owners manual is also in the service manual, but there is also a simple procedure in the Scan tool with both FDRS and ForScan

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
8 hours of deep sleep after a battery change per the manual. Keys off and doors closed.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
How do you do a BMS reset?
  1. Get in vehicle, close doors
  2. Turn on ignition (but don't start)
  3. Wait for battery light to come up
  4. Flash brights 5 times
  5. Press and release brake 3 times
  6. Battery symbol on dashboard should flash after 5-10 seconds

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I believe but what’s the reference? Is it in the owner manual, or shop manual?
Ford Shop Manual,

You do not need Forscan as there is an alternate way to do it, plus it is supposed to do it automatically, but this way you have a visual confirmation it is done, the main purpose of this is to reset the battery install date within the BCM, this action resets how the battery is charged. If you have Forscan or any scanner the BMS reset is easy to do.

The alternate way posted in this thread, is iffy as you have no real confirmation it reset except for a light, if you just let it do it on its own, same result, you have no real confirmation it reset.
With a Scan tool, you have a status msg - Reset Complete on the Scan Tool and you will visually see the Time Since Installed (Date) reset to (0) Days
You have at least (1) confirmation that something changed (ASS-Returned), and it would be a good idea (not required) to use a Scan Tool to confirm, that's all.

All Vehicles

1. Position the battery hold-down strap and install the nut.
    Torque : 18 lb.ft (25 Nm)
  1. Connect the battery.
    Refer to: Battery Disconnect and Connect (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, General Procedures) .
  1. If installing a new battery, use the scan tool to carry out the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) reset after the battery is connected.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I will try my basic scanner for ford tune flashing and try that easy procedure. Gotta look forward, any other brand this would be a dealer mandatory thing.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Interstate is the only battery I trust. As a retired auto tech they have been the most reliable that I've seen. YMMV
I agree with this. When I was shop foreman of our 500+ vehicle fleet, we tried many different battery brands but found that Interstate was the best. That is what I put in my Ranger when I replaced the original battery. It is the only one I use now.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the quick reset by flashing the lights and foglight button and whatever, didn't work, but I did somehow reset my TPMS sensors in the process :rolleyes:

I tried to BMS reset service procedure in Forscan, and it wouldn't work, kept saying could not retrieve BMS configuration. So instead I manually reset both modules with battery in the name...

EhMehGIF.gif

Swede726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Self Employed
Does anyone know if a group H8 BCI 48 battery will fit in a 2020 supercab? I got a brand new one for free and don't really have any other use for it.

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
40 months on original battery. All lights and radio come on, but truck will not start. I'm looking at the Everstart Platinum from Wal-Mart as it has a 4 year warranty.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
40 months on original battery. All lights and radio come on, but truck will not start. I'm looking at the Everstart Platinum from Wal-Mart as it has a 4 year warranty.
I recommend going elsewhere on the battery. Personally I recommend either the Ford Motocraft or X2 from Batteries Plus. Similar warranty and much better quality compared to the Walmart batteries that are made by Johnson Controls

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
A good battery will cover multitudes of sins. Cheap batteries just aren't worth it. I personally have been using Duracell AGM batteries. That change alone has "fixed" some of the issues I had with hard starting equipment. No longer having to keep a trickle charger going, hard starting when cold etc.

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 Cyber Orange
Occupation
Software Engineer
I put the bigger Lariat battery in my XLT. I got an Interstate battery from Costco for $170.

My original stock battery is 3 years old. For the past several months, the Auto Stop Start has not been working, the chimes randomly sound different with a harsh clangy sound, and I've been getting messages on my display telling me that various features are turned off to preserve the battery. I tested the voltage on the battery with the engine shut off, and it was reading about 12.3 volts after driving for an hour which is not bad (but not great). I never had any trouble starting, but I decided to replace the battery.

My truck is the XLT trim and the original battery is group size H6. I decided to get the bigger group size H7 because it's the same price from Costco. I believe that's what the Lariat trim uses. H6 and H7 are the same width and height. H7 is an inch and a half longer. There is about 2 inches of extra space in the battery tray so I figured I could fit the bigger battery. The old battery is rated at 70ah and the new bigger one is 80ah.

The bigger battery fits fine. But the felt blanket that wraps the battery obviously doesn't fit, and I didn't think about that. I ended up cutting the felt blanket and reusing it. I guess I could see if I can find a felt blanket for a Lariat battery. The other surprise is the ground cable is a bit too long for the bigger battery and I really had to push the cable down and back, and then tap the clamp onto the post with a rubber mallet to get it to fit. But the good news is that it does fit.

I reset the BMS by doing the magic flash the high beams 5 times and tap the brakes 3 times, and I saw the battery light on the dash flash, so I guess I'm good to go. I also had to reset my automatic window by holding the button steady with the window open and again with it closed. The ASS is working now. The chimes are back to normal. Hopefully I'll have more than 3 years on the new battery.

Honestly, I'm not sure the old battery was bad. I think maybe the BMS is just too conservative. In hindsight, I wonder if I had just reset the BMS on the old battery if that would have fixed the ASS, the chimes, and the messages.

IMG_1906.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I put the bigger Lariat battery in my XLT. I got an Interstate battery from Costco for $170.

My original stock battery is 3 years old. For the past several months, the Auto Stop Start has not been working, the chimes randomly sound different with a harsh clangy sound, and I've been getting messages on my display telling me that various features are turned off to preserve the battery. I tested the voltage on the battery with the engine shut off, and it was reading about 12.3 volts after driving for an hour which is not bad (but not great). I never had any trouble starting, but I decided to replace the battery.

My truck is the XLT trim and the original battery is group size H6. I decided to get the bigger group size H7 because it's the same price from Costco. I believe that's what the Lariat trim uses. H6 and H7 are the same width and height. H7 is an inch and a half longer. There is about 2 inches of extra space in the battery tray so I figured I could fit the bigger battery. The old battery is rated at 70ah and the new bigger one is 80ah.

The bigger battery fits fine. But the felt blanket that wraps the battery obviously doesn't fit, and I didn't think about that. I ended up cutting the felt blanket and reusing it. I guess I could see if I can find a felt blanket for a Lariat battery. The other surprise is the ground cable is a bit too long for the bigger battery and I really had to push the cable down and back, and then tap the clamp onto the post with a rubber mallet to get it to fit. But the good news is that it does fit.

I reset the BMS by doing the magic flash the high beams 5 times and tap the brakes 3 times, and I saw the battery light on the dash flash, so I guess I'm good to go. I also had to reset my automatic window by holding the button steady with the window open and again with it closed. The ASS is working now. The chimes are back to normal. Hopefully I'll have more than 3 years on the new battery.

Honestly, I'm not sure the old battery was bad. I think maybe the BMS is just too conservative. In hindsight, I wonder if I had just reset the BMS on the old battery if that would have fixed the ASS, the chimes, and the messages.

IMG_1906.jpeg
There should be an available part number for the Lariat battery blanket. I definitely recommend getting the correct one when you get the chance. Also if you have ForScan available I would recommend going in and changing the settings for the battery. There were two different settings for the Lariat and non-Lariat battery configurations

Swede726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Self Employed

IMG_1906.jpeg
I noticed the same at Costco and figured I would get the bigger H7. The parts diagram shows the negative cable being the same on the Lariat. Is the cable just bent different?

It does list the positive cables as being different.

I did find the part number cover for the bigger lariat battery. Looks like it's around $30.

KB3Z-10A687-A.
Sponsored