Drive train fluid replacement

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
There is a well documented history of transmissions cratering after a full flush. It is safer to leave some of the old fluid in. There is a high mileage line you cross where it is best to not change the fluid at all.

Many shops refused to offer a full flush due to customers quickly coming back for major transmission repairs. Customer states "it shifted fine before you touched it", and it did! Shop is on the hook for expensive overhaul.
Sponsored

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
There is a well documented history of transmissions cratering after a full flush. It is safer to leave some of the old fluid in. There is a high mileage line you cross where it is best to not change the fluid at all.

Many shops refused to offer a full flush due to customers quickly coming back for major transmission repairs. Customer states "it shifted fine before you touched it", and it did! Shop is on the hook for expensive overhaul.
I’ve only got 40k on mine. Was thinking a flush would be best now rather than at 100k or more.

Chris4x4Gill2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4 Lariat
What TJC said - particles generally settle at the bottom of the pan and are suspended in the fluid reservoir. Draining removes a good portion of those. Flush stirs all of that back up and reintroduces contaminates into the workings.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
At low miles, a flush isn't likely to cause issues.

It's when you power flush a transmission that has lots of miles on it that problems arise.

All the wear particles and contaminants that were pretty much stuck in the transmission for years are now flushed loose and in circulation, getting into all the nooks and crannies of the transmission.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I don't know what low miles are on our Rangers. I have 20K miles on mine, and transmission is bipolar. PPE pan, filter, and fluid change only for me No flush. I don't feel lucky.

I am actually hesitant to do this work... I am capable, but I worry that if the transmission fails Ford will blame me for adding the pan and doing the fluid change. I think I am still going forward and completing the task. Then hope for the best.

I really REALLY dislike taking my vehicle to dealerships for repairs. On the rare occasion when I have done so, my truck comes back worse than it went in. 4 or 5 visits later they get it right, but I end up with rattles in places that shouldn't rattle. (Airbag recall anyone! They have changed the same airbag 3 times and there is an outstanding recall for number 4!)

On one occasion my 2005 Ranger came back running lean and rough. Upon inspection, I found the throttle body was loose!

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
I got a quote from my dealer to flush & fill the transmission (16 qts) for $350. No filter yet because of low miles (40k).
DO NOT LET THEM FLUSH THE TRANS ... ITS VERY BAD ON OUR TRANS ONLY DO A PAN DROP AND FILTER CHANGE ON THESE TRANSMISSION.......

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At low miles, a flush isn't likely to cause issues.

It's when you power flush a transmission that has lots of miles on it that problems arise.

All the wear particles and contaminants that were pretty much stuck in the transmission for years are now flushed loose and in circulation, getting into all the nooks and crannies of the transmission.
On these trans flushing screws up the solenoids and pushes all of the dirt from the filter into the rest of the trans, just did mine for second time, at 65k and the filter was packed with gunk and the magnet in filter was also loaded .... really do not want that back into thew trans......

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve only got 40k on mine. Was thinking a flush would be best now rather than at 100k or more.
not on these trans.. never flush ...

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After much thought I’m going with the fluid & filter change only. No flush. Thanks all!
its very easy to do yourself couple of write up on here, look at misfit toys page he has a good one

phanomenal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
I have 60k miles on mine and ford dealer quoted 830 dollars plus tax for them to change the transmission oil / filter, front and rear diff and tranfer case oil. Im a little worried because when i mentioned the pan being dropped he said he may be able to do it with out dropping the pan. Can only hope fir the best when i get it back now.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I have 60k miles on mine and ford dealer quoted 830 dollars plus tax for them to change the transmission oil / filter, front and rear diff and tranfer case oil. Im a little worried because when i mentioned the pan being dropped he said he may be able to do it with out dropping the pan. Can only hope fir the best when i get it back now.
Change the trans filter without dropping the pan?

Utope

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Grey XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How much fluid has everyone typically refilled after a pan drop, 4 or 5 quarts?
Sponsored