First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Hi, new member. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Eighteen months ago bought a 2019 Ranger Lariet with 29k miles. I now have 62k all but 100 on pavement and no towing. Dealer telling me I have to change trans, transfer and rear diff fluids. Owners manual states 150k. Any one have opinion for or against?
Sponsored

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Yes, you absolutely should not wait until 150k to change the trans.

Drain and fill every 30k, filter every 60 (with the drain and fill).

60K would be ok for the transfer case and diff. At least to get the breakin metal out of them. Not nearly as critical as the 10R80.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I would do a drain and fill every 30,000 miles. Some of the techs I dealt with at a Ford dealer did not agree with me, but I learned with Nissan that it is best to do the regular maintenance at that amount of time for the Transmission, Transfer Case and Differential.

How do I come down to this you ask? With Nissan they state that you should do that interval under Severe use which includes(but not limited to) short drives, stop and go traffic, extreme Hot or Cold Climates, operating in high Dusty Areas(like Arizona and New Mexico where it is Desert, not just OffRoad).

I'm not how much of that you follow on the daily but it is something to keep in mind

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I changed my two diffs and transfer case fluids at 20k. All three came out grey, like grey milk, and their viscosity was all but gone. All three magnets had so much metal dust on them they were no longer collecting any more metal.
Owner's manuals are deceptive, you have to know when to trust them and when not to. This is a time when not to.

Fx4ranger2019Larait

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Larait
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
I’d recommend changing asap do not follow manual. Especially transmission. Also Get Fitz-stick and use a pump to suck out old fluid. Before you drop pan.(less fluid everywhere) Then you could use Fitz-stick to re-fill and check levels 👍🏻

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I would have been happy with black lol. Read my post above on how mine looked!
I wonder if you had water intrusion? Milky definitely is concerning. I’m with you, the owner’s manual is definitely off on the change intervals lol. It would be interesting to send the differential oil out for an analysis.

pismo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX2
I’d recommend changing asap do not follow manual. Especially transmission. Also Get Fitz-stick and use a pump to suck out old fluid. Before you drop pan.(less fluid everywhere) Then you could use Fitz-stick to re-fill and check levels 👍🏻
How much auto. transmission fluid is is sucked out through the Fitz stick.2 quarts.3 quarts?

Fx4ranger2019Larait

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Larait
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
How much auto. transmission fluid is is sucked out through the Fitz stick.2 quarts.3 quarts?
Depends on how long it sits and where the valves are when it turns off some have pulled 7-8 quarts out. I’m doing this change this weekend or next and replacing the plastic transmission pan with aluminum PPE pan. Better cooling and it’s not plastic. Also new filter have 62k miles original owner.

Here’s the thread post here that you want one hand made from another member. Easy way to check transmission fluid.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-dip-stick-aftermarket-support.24547/page-147

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I wonder if you had water intrusion? Milky definitely is concerning. I’m with you, the owner’s manual is definitely off on the change intervals lol. It would be interesting to send the differential oil out for an analysis.
It was 'grey milk' color just from all the metal dust, no water. It's viscosity was good, going by feel between my fingers. In this instance I didn't need an analysis, it was obvious, my three drain plugs looked like the plug in the middle of this photo. So packed with metal it wasn't collecting any more. I've also started putting strong magnets on them as well as my oil filters.

57FAEB81-1533-4706-B617-70BCC39265AD.jpg

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru

just did mine sucked out almost 7 quarts from trans ... new deep pan with drain plug and fitz stick was all most 9 quarts ... rockauto is your friend for fluid...
Sponsored

Last edited: