Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Well, one of these is not like the other!!

20200530_182959.jpg

Back end is an inch lower than I'd thought it'd be, but the truck is fully loaded. A level shows its still a touch tail high, still will look to re-work the springs to get that missing inch.

20" Rancho RS9000's in the back, FX4 shocks in front, un-cut originsl rwd front springs. Rides much nicer over road imperfections.

Very pleased with my guesses and plan, truly hate Ford's on-line parts catalog.

Chris Cantrell

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lightning blue ranger
Well, one of these is not like the other!!

20200530_182959.jpg

Back end is an inch lower than I'd thought it'd be, but the truck is fully loaded. A level shows its still a touch tail high, still will look to re-work the springs to get that missing inch.

20" Rancho RS9000's in the back, FX4 shocks in front, un-cut originsl rwd front springs. Rides much nicer over road imperfections.

Very pleased with my guesses and plan, truly hate Ford's on-line parts catalog.
Did you only change the shocks? Please post the part nbrs for them. Btw, it looks awesome!

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you only change the shocks? Please post the part nbrs for them. Btw, it looks awesome!
Hi Chris,

Something I would like to clear up. When you change the ride height of the truck with the OEM shocks, the shocks performance relative to damping is not changed at all. Only the height in the shock body of where the piston and valve body are located changes, not the damping performance. The change is if the piston/valve body bottoms or tops out due to the change. It appears to me when you increase front ride height and the shocks have the rebound stop in the the top of the shock, raising the ride height causes the shock to hit the rebound more frequently than it might otherwise do so. It is a risk you take when you mod your Ranger. I cannot speak for aftermarket shocks which may or many not account for changes in ride height.

When we were racing Rangers in the SCCA series, we had shocks in a lowered length as we called it to allow the piston to be in the center of the shock tube to keep topping and bottoming outside the the suspension travel when racing as if either occurred during handling the inadvertent increase in suspension stiffness results in unpredictable handling. Tire slip angled changed instantaneously.

Hope this makes sense.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Love the Ranger, but it's too tall for my needs so I decided to "fix" both the height and harshness over road imperfections.

20200530_182930.jpg

The original plan was custom springs, then my wife adopted an FX4 and I noticed both an improved ride, and an extra 2 - 3" of height in the back.

The plan changed to FX4 front shocks FX4 rear springs and custom front coils.

Wading through Ford's on-line parts catalog it appeared that the FX4 and 4WD shared rear springs so I bought a pair of used 4WD rear springs. Turns out no, 4WD and RWD are the same. Grrrr

Had local spring shop re-arch the 4WD springs to add 2 1/2" of arch.

20200530_220326.jpg

From there, a pair of 3 1/8" spring perches are a tight fit on the 80mm axle tube, a pair of heavy spring plates and 4, 9/16" x 9" square u-bolts gave me a bolt in axle flip.
20200530_162406.jpg

Add in a pair of 20" Rancho RS999341 (Early 2000's Nissan Frontier) adjustable rate shocks to complete the package. A bit of Amazon 12mm x 16mm aluminum tubing cut into 4, 40mm spacers and shocks were a snap to install.

Did have to cut grooves in the spring perches for the u-bolts.

Cheap angle finder to set the pinion angle and tighten the u-bolts to clamp and hold everything together.

Up front, I took a real different path. A pair of like new take off FX4 struts were disassembled, along with the original struts.

Cut new spring seat retainer grooves in the FX4 shock body 1 1/4" below original for a 2" drop using the oem RWD springs. Did not want the stiffer FX4 springs, nor did I want to stiffen the OEM spring by shortening it get the drop.
20200530_162332.jpg

Once everything was back together, got full weight on the suspension and again, used the angle finder to dial camber back. Bit of tape measure work to dial toe back in and it'll be good till I use up some Fordpass points for a proper alignment.

The ride quality is vastly improved, expect the lower CG will help handling and both cabin and bed access are much easier.

The back end is an inch lower than desired. Not sure if I'll add some arch to the overload leafs, swap out the overload leafs with a couple std leafs, maybe just settle on some BDS shackles or keep hunting a set of FX4 springs.

Might move the axle forward just a bit on the springs if I do crack everything loose, had a couple options and did not want to risk over compressing the driveshaft slip joint. Maybe erred on the side of caution.

Last edited:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent work and thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Doc

Envelant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Standard w/18's
Love the Ranger, but it's too tall for my needs so I decided to "fix" both the height and harshness over road imperfections.

20200530_182930.jpg

The original plan was custom springs, then my wife adopted an FX4 and I noticed both an improved ride, and an extra 2 - 3" of height in the back.

The plan changed to FX4 front shocks FX4 rear springs and custom front coils.

Wading through Ford's on-line parts catalog it appeared that the FX4 and 4WD shared rear springs so I bought a pair of used 4WD rear springs. Turns out no, 4WD and RWD are the same. Grrrr

Had local spring shop re-arch the 4WD springs to add 2 1/2" of arch.

20200530_220326.jpg

From there, a pair of 3 1/8" spring perches are a tight fit on the 80mm axle tube, a pair of heavy spring plates and 4, 9/16" x 9" square u-bolts gave me a bolt in axle flip.
20200530_162406.jpg

Add in a pair of 20" Rancho RS999341 (Early 2000's Nissan Frontier) adjustable rate shocks to complete the package. A bit of Amazon 12mm x 16mm aluminum tubing cut into 4, 40mm spacers and shocks were a snap to install.

Did have to cut grooves in the spring perches for the u-bolts.

Cheap angle finder to set the pinion angle and tighten the u-bolts to clamp and hold everything together.

Up front, I took a real different path. A pair of like new take off FX4 struts were disassembled, along with the original struts.

Cut new spring seat retainer grooves in the FX4 shock body 1 1/4" below original for a 2" drop using the oem RWD springs. Did not want the stiffer FX4 springs, nor did I want to stiffen the OEM spring by shortening it get the drop.
20200530_162332.jpg

Once everything was back together, got full weight on the suspension and again, used the angle finder to dial camber back. Bit of tape measure work to dial toe back in and it'll be good till I use up some Fordpass points for a proper alignment.

The ride quality is vastly improved, expect the lower CG will help handling and both cabin and bed access are much easier.

The back end is an inch lower than desired. Not sure if I'll add some arch to the overload leafs, swap out the overload leafs with a couple std leafs, maybe just settle on some BDS shackles or keep hunting a set of FX4 springs.

Might move the axle forward just a bit on the springs if I do crack everything loose, had a couple options and did not want to risk over compressing the driveshaft slip joint. Maybe erred on the side of caution.
Looks good! Thank you for the insight.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Side note.... Has anyone talked with belltech recently?
Shoot them an e-mail. I sent them one April 2nd and they replied that it won't be available until "the end of the year". Maybe a few more inquiries will speed up the process or show that these kits are in demand :thumbsup: ?

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
i sent one a couple weeks ago and got a scripted email back about how they were working hard during the pandemic, trying to stay on top of customer service, etc etc. nothing in the reply was about the suspension.
i was hoping it was an auto reply and that my real answer was on the way but i havent heard anything since then.
a little upset...