Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Since current events seem to be slowing some of the progress on kits and such, I thought I'd ask a question of prospective owners. Does anyone plan on running a smaller diameter tire when they do eventually lower their Ranger?

Reason i ask is because of potential advantages in unsprung/rotational weight and gearing benefits. I'm a prospective Ranger customer, and currently have a 2013 2wd Tacoma. Those 2wd models had 27" tall tires as standard, whereas the 4x4's had a 30.5" tall tire. It really does not look out of proportion, especially when moving to a lesser offset and wider wheel/tire. Ranger is a similar overall size and has a 30.1" tire from the factory. A move to a 27" tire would be a >10% improvement in gearing and weigh less, making the truck feel and be quicker. What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Since current events seem to be slowing some of the progress on kits and such, I thought I'd ask a question of prospective owners. Does anyone plan on running a smaller diameter tire when they do eventually lower their Ranger?

Reason i ask is because of potential advantages in unsprung/rotational weight and gearing benefits. I'm a prospective Ranger customer, and currently have a 2013 2wd Tacoma. Those 2wd models had 27" tall tires as standard, whereas the 4x4's had a 30.5" tall tire. It really does not look out of proportion, especially when moving to a lesser offset and wider wheel/tire. Ranger is a similar overall size and has a 30.1" tire from the factory. A move to a 27" tire would be a >10% improvement in gearing and weigh less, making the truck feel and be quicker. What's everyone's thoughts on this?
That is something that I have thought about. At this point I will be using 18" wheels and tires. I did go with a slightly smaller diameter and wider tire when I changed from 17' to 18". My long term plans are to go with 20" with around a 28.5" / 29" tire. Probably a 245/45R20 or a 255/45R20. That will probably be at least a year away though.

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
My long term plans are to go with 20" with around a 28.5" / 29" tire. Probably a 245/45R20 or a 255/45R20. That will probably be at least a year away though.
The 255/45/18 looks pretty meaty on the 18x9 wheel I have. A similar width on a 20" should look great and still be a bit smaller in diameter than the stock 17.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

I Drag race my 2019 with Steelies and a 30 inch tire, I have a huge problem with traction on launch, break boosting to 2500 rpms it spins through 3rd gear, the engine makes max torque at 3000, if anything in my case the only solution is a wide cheater slick. (Not currently available at a 30” diameter)..the tire should be able to take the full load, 27” tires would be useless in terms of launch and down the road you would loose acceleration as it red lines quickly, even with 30 “ tires..now I can punch it from a dead stop with a slight amount of boost and it won’t spin too much..but no where near it’s potential with a 2500-3000 rpm launch..
Regards

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's getting kind of lonely on this page. To quote Mr. Lorensax the teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off "anyone, anyone" Does anyone have any good information on anything related to this topic. I'm really trying to avoid undertaking engineering a front system myself as I have become incredibly work related busy and mentally lazy lately. "Anyone, anyone"

Envelant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Standard w/18's
Your not alone here. Im going to wait it out to see Belltechs kit. Im certain it will be an awesome all in one kit. I'm also seriously considering a full air suspension. If anything custom needs to take place, air all the way. Plan on having the truck until it dies. I like my vehicles real low air suspension makes sense.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your not alone here. Im going to wait it out to see Belltechs kit. Im certain it will be an awesome all in one kit. I'm also seriously considering a full air suspension. If anything custom needs to take place, air all the way. Plan on having the truck until it dies. I like my vehicles real low air suspension makes sense.

I'm hoping for the same thing. Everything I own is lowered, even my motorcycles and I'll have this truck as long as I can. I do have some plans drawn up for lower control arm modifications and coil and strut adjustment, but damn I'd like to be able to take the easy way ?. That coilover package Doc has is sexy, but I might be beheaded if I order those ?

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Well, my vision is not as radical as Doc's coilover/panhard system but I've pulled the trigger.

Have a bunch of bits/parts/pieces inbound. Stoked about the project, hoping I got my numbers right. Targeting the end of the month for the install and reveal.