Accidentally Got 87 vs. 93

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Bad start to the weekend. I was clearly not paying attention and accidentally hit the 87 button this morning filling up. Running the 91-93 LMS tune. I put 13.526 gallons in with the remaining 93 I had. Oh well, guess I'll take it easy until I can get some more 93 in it.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Bad start to the weekend. I was clearly not paying attention and accidentally hit the 87 button this morning filling up. Running the 91-93 LMS tune. I put 13.526 gallons in with the remaining 93 I had. Oh well, guess I'll take it easy until I can get some more 93 in it.
I don't think it'll hurt anything you just won't get the full performance out of the tune. I almost did that the other day because I was talking with Annie and started to push the 87 tab and caught myself.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
You're engine is toast.
Once the misfiring starts and the knocking increases, then the tranny can't take the extra torque spikes and it'll be toast as well.
Might as well dilute it with diesel and run a couple of bottles of leak stop supplement in the rear diff.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You're engine is toast.
Once the misfiring starts and the knocking increases, then the tranny can't take the extra torque spikes and it'll be toast as well.
Might as well dilute it with diesel and run a couple of bottles of leak stop supplement in the rear diff.
Retired people are funny.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
You have multiple knock sensors in the cylinder head. They will keep fuel/air mixture and ignition curve in check. Performance and milage may be down but the engine is safe.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Little over 3/4 of a tank won't hurt. As others said, you might see a decrease in fuel mileage and/or power. If you are worried about it, fill up when this tank gets down to 1/2 full with 93.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I don't think it'll hurt anything you just won't get the full performance out of the tune. I almost did that the other day because I was talking with Annie and started to push the 87 tab and caught myself.
she should be pumping the gas for the privilege of riding in the ranger:computerrage:

@got3fords you need to drain the tank. I'll dispose of the trash fuel for you

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Little over 3/4 of a tank won't hurt. As others said, you might see a decrease in fuel mileage and/or power. If you are worried about it, fill up when this tank gets down to 1/2 full with 93.
Yeah, I will probably fill up again sooner rather than later.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Even though it's for a short time I would switch tunes. Be a good time to see what the tow tune is all about

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
You're engine is toast.
Same thing happened when I filled with diesel.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
That will put your Ranger into Taco- Mode. =p

It'll be okay and it'll take a new tank of 93 to fully sort itself.

I don't know enough about modern engines (lol, that would be post '69 for gas and post '79 for diesel) but when I had to use a lower octane, I ran the tank out rather than topping it off with 93 octane.

Now I carry octane boost and an easy to reach funnel. But I doubt an octane boost actually does anything. How could a pint of anything affect a tankful to meaningful levels? Just makes me feel better

Enjoy your temporary Tacoma! =p

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
My wife did this once. I let her go in my truck to do here eyelashes or whatever and told her it needed gas. 3 times I said premium. What gas? Premium? Ok go ahead. I was at home changing the headlights on the f150 and she called me at the gas station and she said she was putting premium. I said ok and then it hit me, this whole time I said premium assuming she knew that was 93! This is a woman I can't assume anything! I called her back and said you put 93 right? She said let me look, uhhh no the one in the middle it says 89. Stoooop take it out take it out lol. I just told her to put the last quarter of the tank with 93 and don't floor it. It was totally fine.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
You have multiple knock sensors in the cylinder head. They will keep fuel/air mixture and ignition curve in check. Performance and milage may be down but the engine is safe.
When you use a performance tune that requires 93 octane the ECU does not have the ability to completely compensate for the lower octane.

Drive it easy until you can dilute the 87 and you won't have any issues.

I went to an 87 Performance tune over 16k miles ago and don't miss the extra power up high in the rpm range and as with every other vehicle I have owned over the past 50 years I have never seen a measurable difference in fuel mileage with lower octane.
Sponsored