Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Occupation
Sales
Hello all,

Do we have any real numbers on the crank HP/TQ numbers using 93 vs 87 (stock power numbers). I've read/heard you can achieve 300hp and 340 TQ at the crank. Just wondering if that has been verified via dyno or other means.
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...gas-87-octane-and-premium-gas-92-octane.1208/

^This is for a mustang. Using the premium curve if you do the math to account for drive train losses it puts it right at the factory rated crank hp for the mustang.

My guess is the factory power ratings are done for the ranger assuming you are using premium fuel, even though the manual states 87 minimum. (minimum being the keyword here)
I don't know that for a fact, so don't quote me on it. Edit: Power ratings done with 87.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wbflyer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Occupation
Sales
Oh, so the Ford ratings were performed using 93?

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Oh, so the Ford ratings were performed using 93?
87 is minimum. 91 or higher is what's recommended

Probably the easiest performance mod is to swap from 87 and run a few tanks of 91 or better.

From the Owners Manual:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

OP
OP

Wbflyer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Occupation
Sales
Interesting, it looks like 93 could achieve close to 300hp stock & 340lb/tq. Calculating a 15% drive-train loss.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
I am going to do a few Dyno pulls today. Not really going to help you but we will know the potential the truck has. I have a SPD high flow catted down pipe, full SPD exhaust, drop in K&N filter, and a 5Star Tuning 93 performance tune.

OP
OP

Wbflyer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Occupation
Sales
It will help! Will they do one pull without tune an 93 octane?

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
No. I’m not going to spend the time and effort to run the tank down, de-tune, run 87, re-tune, then run some 93 tanks to do that.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Wow! That is STOUT!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Those torque numbers seem a little off for only having a a tune and exhaust. What shop did you take it to?

I know the 5* 93 performance tune is good for 75hp and 92 tq on its own. But I have never seen an exhaust and K&N drop in produce that much additional hp/tq on top of that. Typically a full exhaust is good for around 10% additional hp/tq and a K&N is negligible with at best 5-6 hp to the crank. So by those numbers that exhaust is producing an additional 180 +/- torque. I want to say there's one of three possibilities here. A, their dyno is off. B, Ford under reported the actual numbers for the Ranger. Or C, if accurate that's an insane increase and the factory exhaust is incredibly restrictive.
Sponsored