Accidentally bumped red line

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is what I read. "To prevent over-revving, it is possible that the transmission may automatically upshift as well."

I like the ranger, and even considered getting one, but with my friends little rental experience I'd be hesitant to buy one. Yes he had no history of the previous 13k miles, but bouncing off the rev limiter in first gear for all of 2 seconds and then having a rod shoot through the block just doesn't sound very durable. The raptor sounds more enticing to me if it did go with the 2.7 ecoboost. I'm just cautious of the 2.3 unless someone can prove otherwise.
What page is that on in the ranger manual? I don't see it.
Sponsored

Bbroderi

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
What page is that on in the ranger manual? I don't see it.
It's not. I don't own a ranger, so I Googled and found a select shift article. It specifically lists "6 speed select shift" and the ranger is a 10 speed, so I'm guessing it's not same same. Either way, the oil on the road proves it doesn't shift on its own when you bump it into sport manual mode. Since it only goes to 8th gear in sport mode, getting it to 10th takes some manual bumps. I'm guessing those bumps put it into sport manual and it wasn't put back into sport mode (whether automatically or systemically by any ecu function), and the end result was the overrev, the bounce, and the boom.

Reactions: Doc