Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Well, silly me didn’t read through my manual. I have 380 miles on my truck and had decided to test out sport mode. Little did I know the truck would not shift by itself (like my old yota) and ran the truck all the way up through red line and backed off QUICKLY while sobbing. I assumed that sport mode would essentially shift by itself if there was no user input from the shift buttons.

How much damage have I done to my engine? I know I’m still within break-in period. I don’t personally believe I have ever gotten this truck above 2,500 RPMs.
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
You are fine. Don't worry about it. The break-in period is guidance and you won't cause irreparable damage from hitting the redline once (ask the guys who test drive Challenger Hellcats) . :sunglasses:

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
You are fine. Don't worry about it. The break-in period is guidance and you won't cause irreparable damage from hitting the redline once (ask the guys who test drive Challenger Hellcats) . :sunglasses:

Thanks for easing my mind! So you don’t believe I’ve scored the cylinder walls or done anything to the engine? She does sound very nice rolling through the RPMs. Reminds me of the Focus.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for easing my mind! So you don’t believe I’ve scored the cylinder walls or done anything to the engine? She does sound very nice rolling through the RPMs. Reminds me of the Focus.
Forget it even happened. (Just don't make a habit of it.)

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
If you just put it in Sport Mode and don't touch the shifter toggle switch, it will run through the gears on it's own. But if you use the toggle switch, you will have to shift manually up. I think it will downshift on it's own when you are coming to a stop. I have the XLT and if the gears are shown on the dash, you will have to shift manually. Not sure how the Lariat or XL shows Sport Mode. I don't use sport mode that much. Someone else may step in and explain it better.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
With a modern vehicle, engine break-in is usually already accomplished by the time the vehicle is on the dealer lot.

However, the differentials and transfer case are not and those are the ones that are still "machining" their mating surfaces over the first several hundred miles (well, probably not the TC as I'm pretty sure it's chain driven).

So when I hit 1000 miles I am probably not going to change my oil but I will replace the differential oil, at least in the rear.

Which brings up a question that I now will have to research: When is the front axle engaged in the Ranger?

All the time or only when in 4x4?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you just put it in Sport Mode and don't touch the shifter toggle switch, it will run through the gears on it's own. But if you use the toggle switch, you will have to shift manually up. I think it will downshift on it's own when you are coming to a stop. I have the XLT and if the gears are shown on the dash, you will have to shift manually. Not sure how the Lariat or XL shows Sport Mode. I don't use sport mode that much. Someone else may step in and explain it better.

It's the same on the Lariat too. If you put it in S mode and DON'T touch the +/- button it will shift on its own. Once you hit the +/- you will need to manually shift it. Don't worry Zachary I did the same thing when I first got mine too. I didn't hit the red line but I was darn close. lol

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
With a modern vehicle, engine break-in is usually already accomplished by the time the vehicle is on the dealer lot.

However, the differentials and transfer case are not and those are the ones that are still "machining" their mating surfaces over the first several hundred miles (well, probably not the TC as I'm pretty sure it's chain driven).

So when I hit 1000 miles I am probably not going to change my oil but I will replace the differential oil, at least in the rear.

Which brings up a question that I now will have to research: When is the front axle engaged in the Ranger?

All the time or only when in 4x4?

If that’s the case why does it mention not to be hard on the engine until you change oil the first time? I’m not questioning anyone I’m just worried about my truck. I feel awful for accidentally hitting redline. Spirited driving is not my thing in something I owe for. First new vehicle too. I just pray I didn’t damage it.

ryuw270

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2017 Ford Escape
If you put the transmission into "manual mode" all you have to do is hold the plus toggle in for three seconds and it will go back to automatic. You can go into manual mode in D or S mode.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done the close to redline too. Don’t waste a moment of sleep these engines can take a some red line time just not extended.

i don’t believe you shift in drive mode. I will click on the +/- while in D to see what great and it shows up but I’m not in control.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If that’s the case why does it mention not to be hard on the engine until you change oil the first time? I’m not questioning anyone I’m just worried about my truck. I feel awful for accidentally hitting redline. Spirited driving is not my thing in something I owe for. First new vehicle too. I just pray I didn’t damage it.
Ford adds this just to cover their butts in case some yahoo gets in and decides to drive it like a red headed stepchild right off the lot. Same reason we now have "Hot Coffee" printed on our cups. Unfortunately almost everything has to be idiot proof now a days. No need to worry yourself over this and lose sleep your Ranger is good. :)

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done the close to redline too. Don’t waste a moment of sleep these engines can take a some red line time just not extended.

i don’t believe you shift in drive mode. I will click on the +/- while in D to see what great and it shows up but I’m not in control.
That is correct. In Drive mode, you can select how high the gearing will go, as in if you don't want to go any higher than 8th, you can toggle until the highest gear you see is 8th.

I like to see what gear I am in so I toggle the + button once after I shift into Drive. I don't "lockout" gears, even though I have done it once or twice just to experiment.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ford adds this just to cover their butts in case some yahoo gets in and decides to drive it like a red headed stepchild right off the lot. Same reason we now have "Hot Coffee" printed on our cups. Unfortunately almost everything has to be idiot proof now a days. No need to worry yourself over this and lose sleep your Ranger is good. :)
It sounds like you don’t know the real story behind the hot coffee lawsuit. In that case McDonalds was clearly wrong and had been warned by the health department several times.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It sounds like you don’t know the real story behind the hot coffee lawsuit. In that case McDonalds was clearly wrong and had been warned by the health department several times.
I know the whole story that's not the point. Coffee is hot just like Drain-O should not be ingested we don't need a label on everything now a days, people need to take some personal responsibility. Plus the blood sucking lawyers don't help matters now.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I know the whole story that's not the point. Coffee is hot just like Drain-O should not be ingested we don't need a label on everything now a days, people need to take some personal responsibility. Plus the blood sucking lawyers don't help matters now.
That’s crazy talk, I should be allowed to jump my Ranger off a huge ramp and have Ford fix it, there aren’t any labels about it in my truck!
Sponsored