First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
For what it's worth, the Echo doesn't rely on Bluetooth to function normally. It's only needed for manual brake control and making adjustments. Still not as good as wired, but quite capable.
Understood, that's the part I don't like. I want a hard wired button/knob. That's me. Besides my phone is busy doing other things like displaying gauges or directions.
Sponsored

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning all:
Yes, I've read through all 33 pages of posts....work avoidance.
I want to be clear on something.
The controller being installed by dealers is basically the Redarc V3 with an extra propriatory module. The only purpose of this module is to coordinate your adaptive cruise and emergency braking systems with the brake controller, because there is no brake signal triggered without depression of the actual brake pedal. The Redarc V2 is slightly longer, but otherwise is fully capable of operating as a regular brake controller would.
Is that correct? I'm trying to figure out if that kind of change is worth $400+.
Thanks for you patience in this matter.
Kris

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Good morning all:
The controller being installed by dealers is basically the Redarc V3 with an extra propriatory module. The only purpose of this module is to coordinate your adaptive cruise and emergency braking systems with the brake controller, because there is no brake signal triggered without depression of the actual brake pedal. The Redarc V2 is slightly longer, but otherwise is fully capable of operating as a regular brake controller would.
Is that correct? I'm trying to figure out if that kind of change is worth $400+.
Kris
As I understand it, yes. The extra module included with the Ford version reads the CHMSL signals instead of the brake pedal signal. It doesn't even seem proprietary. I've seen that box elsewhere on the 'net used with other brake controllers in other vehicles, particularly in Australia.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Good morning all:
Kris
Get the Curt Echo, no headache, cheaper

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
This is what I use .... bluetooth to my smart phone. Works great and you take it with you when you trade.

You use your smart phone as the in cab controller. Can set it up for multiple trailer profiles, 4 I think.

Echo Smart Controller.jpeg

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The hitch was installed yesterday, so of course I took the trailer for a ride today, ya know to "test" everything. The bluetooth controller worked as well on the ranger as it did on my jeep. I just took it with me no wiring.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Sounds Great!

I wish I had your faith in this bluetooth stuff, in a towing 'holy shit' situation.
Until then, I'll think I'll take my 'very expensive' Ford hard wired controller.
Because, when that trailer tries to get away from me, I'll hope I've got the best there is, to get me out of a bad situation; not the most economical.
Just sayin'.

I suspect you'll be OK.
And I'm pretty sure I'll be the same.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Sounds Great!

I wish I had your faith in this bluetooth stuff, in a towing 'holy shit' situation.
Until then, I'll think I'll take my 'very expensive' Ford hard wired controller.
Because, when that trailer tries to get away from me, I'll hope I've got the best there is, to get me out of a bad situation; not the most economical.
Just sayin'.
The bluetooth is only involved in configuring the brake controller. The same basic circuit is in both controllers, and could potentially fail in exactly the same ways.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The bluetooth is only involved in configuring the brake controller. The same basic circuit is in both controllers, and could potentially fail in exactly the same ways.
How do you press the emergency brake button that just applies the trailer brakes without using Bluetooth?

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I should of mentioned, I'm pulling a 550# aluminum trailer (Aluma TK1) with a 1200# Harley Tri Glide on it. Probably don't need the trailer brakes at all, but, I live where to go anywhere, I'm going over 8-12K mountains. The brakes where already on the trailer when I bought it, so might as well use them.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
So, reading through quite a bit of this thread I'm still not clear on best route for those of us without factory tow. I'm planning on installing the Draw-Tite Class III(76275) and Curt T-Connector C56431.

1. What are people recommending for the case where we don't want bluetooth/echo? Looking at all of the harnesses there I must say it seems daunting and high probability of ending up with something that doesn't quite work. The RedArcis reallyexpensive and complex. What about an option like the Tekonsha Prodigy?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Ford/Ranger/2020/90195.html?VehicleID=20206003175

2. If I do go with bluetooth (and I also don't like the idea of relying on my *phone* for emergency trailer only braking or manual adjustment!) assuming I've installed the 7-pin, I can just use this without having to buy an adapter of some kind?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Ford/Ranger/2020/C51180.html?VehicleID=202086669

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I've had the Ford TBC sitting in my garage for like 2 months now. Can't bring myself to install it and pop off all those panels. Usually a part doesn't make it in the box for more than 24 hours before it's installed lol.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So, reading through quite a bit of this thread I'm still not clear on best route for those of us without factory tow. I'm planning on installing the Draw-Tite Class III(76275) and Curt T-Connector C56431.

1. What are people recommending for the case where we don't want bluetooth/echo? Looking at all of the harnesses there I must say it seems daunting and high probability of ending up with something that doesn't quite work. The RedArcis reallyexpensive and complex. What about an option like the Tekonsha Prodigy?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Ford/Ranger/2020/90195.html?VehicleID=20206003175

2. If I do go with bluetooth (and I also don't like the idea of relying on my *phone* for emergency trailer only braking or manual adjustment!) assuming I've installed the 7-pin, I can just use this without having to buy an adapter of some kind?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Ford/Ranger/2020/C51180.html?VehicleID=202086669
I've towed thousands of miles in the Ranger with the Prodigy P3 as I had already installed it and used it for months before Ford had a compatible system available. Not a single issue.

I tow a 6300# 31' travel trailer all over Michigan.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
I've towed thousands of miles in the Ranger with the Prodigy P3 as I had already installed it and used it for months before Ford had a compatible system available. Not a single issue.
Dud you have factory tow package? Did you pay for install or DIY? I actually really prefer the box controllers like that because you have everything at hand as well as LED readouts, etc.. having towed an Airstream for a year and a half fulltime there are just situations that come up where you need to grab the control and the idea of trying to scramble to find my phone gives me the chills lol, I can't even reliably get music out of it can't imagine doing that at highway speed when there is something off with balance and I the trailer starts pushing... :O

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape

It's plug and play. Even if the Bluetooth signal is lost the unit still functions on your last settings until the connection is restored. I haven't had any issues. Trailer brake test/emergency button is large and displayed onscreen when the app is up. Usually I set it and forget it and have maps or music up instead
Sponsored