First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tremor Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Warehouse Supervisor
Good evening everyone! Bought a Tremor a few weeks ago and just added a hitch and 4/7 plug and new harness and was wondering do I really need to have a brake controller, I only tow a flat bed trailer with my dune buggy and it doesn't have brakes but does have a 7 pin plug cause I have a battery and a winch on the trailer, so I'm wondering will I still get 12v+ to charge the battery while the truck is running. I do have an aftermarket TBC to install from my 18 F150 but don't tow anything heavy anymore, so do I need the TBC
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Good evening everyone! Bought a Tremor a few weeks ago and just added a hitch and 4/7 plug and new harness and was wondering do I really need to have a brake controller, I only tow a flat bed trailer with my dune buggy and it doesn't have brakes but does have a 7 pin plug cause I have a battery and a winch on the trailer, so I'm wondering will I still get 12v+ to charge the battery while the truck is running. I do have an aftermarket TBC to install from my 18 F150 but don't tow anything heavy anymore, so do I need the TBC
Good question and I am sorry I don't have a 100% definitive answer for you. I know you won't get anything on the brake signal w/o a TBC. However, I 'think' once the truck detects a trailer connected, it will energize the 12v signal. Try it and let us know.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You almost certainly should get 12v without a TBC installed, you can always just use a voltmeter or a circuit tested to ensure you get power, but you should with the truck in the run position.
Assuming the OEM 7 pin connector, you need to actually have something hooked up; the truck doesn't crank up the power until it detects a connection. Accessory power will work without a TBC, that's how the curt echo does its thing (pulls accessory power at the 7 pin connector to provide brake power).

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming the OEM 7 pin connector, you need to actually have something hooked up; the truck doesn't crank up the power until it detects a connection. Accessory power will work without a TBC, that's how the curt echo does its thing (pulls accessory power at the 7 pin connector to provide brake power).
Yes, but it's not dependant on a TBC to be installed to work. That's pretty common.

OP
OP
Langsy

Langsy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tremor Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Warehouse Supervisor
Update, everyone was right, I have 12v+ when I hooked up my dune buggy trailer :like: thanks everyone
Sponsored