8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Dud you have factory tow package? Did you pay for install or DIY? I actually really prefer the box controllers like that because you have everything at hand as well as LED readouts, etc.. having towed an Airstream for a year and a half fulltime there are just situations that come up where you need to grab the control and the idea of trying to scramble to find my phone gives me the chills lol, I can't even reliably get music out of it can't imagine doing that at highway speed when there is something off with balance and I the trailer starts pushing... :O
I did it myself, it was super easy. I have the factory tow package, and it's been flawless. No phone required, physical buttons for physical things.

Pictures of my stuff are in one of the brake controller threads.
Sponsored

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
I did it myself, it was super easy. I have the factory tow package, and it's been flawless. No phone required, physical buttons for physical things.
I guess I'm wondering if it's different wihtout factory tow, but my understanding is that there aren't any other differences except lack of harness and hitch. Maybe someone can confirm that.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'm wondering if it's different wihtout factory tow, but my understanding is that there aren't any other differences except lack of harness and hitch. Maybe someone can confirm that.
That's it, the non-tow package trucks are missing the hitch/bumper and only 1/4 of the harness. The harness for the 7-way can be purchased and plugged right in.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That's it, the non-tow package trucks are missing the hitch/bumper and only 1/4 of the harness. The harness for the 7-way can be purchased and plugged right in.
Except for the reports of some xl's without the tow package also missing the wires.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
1. What are people recommending for the case where we don't want bluetooth/echo? Looking at all of the harnesses there I must say it seems daunting and high probability of ending up with something that doesn't quite work. The RedArcis reallyexpensive and complex. What about an option like the Tekonsha Prodigy?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Ford/Ranger/2020/90195.html?VehicleID=20206003175
The only ford-approved and totally safe option is the OEM RedArc setup. The only thing harder to install about it is actually the only thing that makes it OEM-approved and safer.. the extra box that connects to the CHMSL to activate trailer brakes in the event the truck decides to automatic emergency brake itself, or when using automatic cruise control and coming up behind slower vehicles.

As far as I know, the Echo is the only other controller that works with those features as well, almost by dumb luck, as it relies on the brake light in the 7pin rather than brake pedal signal. I have had both the Echo and the OEM RedArc BTW.

Having a brake controller that doesn't react to automatic emergency braking or automatic cruise control can result in being unable to stop in an emergency or jack-knifing. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies deny claims as a result of that as well.

2. If I do go with bluetooth (and I also don't like the idea of relying on my *phone* for emergency trailer only braking or manual adjustment!) assuming I've installed the 7-pin, I can just use this without having to buy an adapter of some kind?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Ford/Ranger/2020/C51180.html?VehicleID=202086669
Assuming the 7pin is installed properly such that the brake light and 12v lines work, then the echo should be good. I installed a 7pin on a 2016 Kia Sorento and used the Echo with it without any issues. In that vehicle I used a 4pin-to-7pin adapter plus my own 12V and GND wires. Didn't need the brake controller wire or the reverse-light wire.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only ford-approved and totally safe option is the OEM RedArc setup. The only thing harder to install about it is actually the only thing that makes it OEM-approved and safer.. the extra box that connects to the CHMSL to activate trailer brakes in the event the truck decides to automatic emergency brake itself, or when using automatic cruise control and coming up behind slower vehicles.

As far as I know, the Echo is the only other controller that works with those features as well, almost by dumb luck, as it relies on the brake light in the 7pin rather than brake pedal signal. I have had both the Echo and the OEM RedArc BTW.

Having a brake controller that doesn't react to automatic emergency braking or automatic cruise control can result in being unable to stop in an emergency or jack-knifing. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies deny claims as a result of that as well.

Assuming the 7pin is installed properly such that the brake light and 12v lines work, then the echo should be good. I installed a 7pin on a 2016 Kia Sorento and used the Echo with it without any issues. In that vehicle I used a 4pin-to-7pin adapter plus my own 12V and GND wires. Didn't need the brake controller wire or the reverse-light wire.
Ford can go F their hat. When I bought my truck there was no "ford approved" brake controller. The dealer, and Ford corporate told me it was A-OK to install a top of the line Prodigy P3 using the wires THEY LITERALLY SUPPLY UNDER THE DASH.

Unless they want to flash my truck so that when it's towing the AEB is disabled OR Provide me at no cost the Ford approved kit with install, they will have a hard time with any lawsuit that results from their AEB accidentally wrecking a trailer. I'm surprised insurance companies aren't already suing Ford since in it's current state the truck is actually more dangerous when towing than trucks without AEB.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Ford can go F their hat. When I bought my truck there was no "ford approved" brake controller. The dealer, and Ford corporate told me it was A-OK to install a top of the line Prodigy P3 using the wires THEY LITERALLY SUPPLY UNDER THE DASH.

Unless they want to flash my truck so that when it's towing the AEB is disabled OR Provide me at no cost the Ford approved kit with install, they will have a hard time with any lawsuit that results from their AEB accidentally wrecking a trailer. I'm surprised insurance companies aren't already suing Ford since in it's current state the truck is actually more dangerous when towing than trucks without AEB.
Shrug

As far as I am aware it's not like this on purpose. Think I read that the truck didn't have these automatic breaking features originally, overseas, and they messed up by not adapting the trailer wiring when they added these systems. It should be on them to address that, though, especially in vehicles that were outfitted with brake controllers before they offered one, and before they made the issue known.

As far as insurance goes, I have no idea what really happens there in these cases. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't care what Ford says or said and simply see that a vehicle with aeb+acc didn't have a brake controller made to match and thus kick up a fuss. Or maybe they don't even check.

All I know for sure is that I didn't want to risk my family's safety or the safety of anyone else on the road over the difference in price and installation, which I've all but forgotten since anyway.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not personally convinced that AEB makes one bit of difference with a trailer. Is that even something they test for?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not personally convinced that AEB makes one bit of difference with a trailer. Is that even something they test for?
Clearly they didn’t until 12 months after job1.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
What do you mean?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean?
Like, by the time AEB activates, is there any realistic chance that it will make one bit of difference? IMO if you're driving sensibly with a trailer (controlling speed, paying attention, allowing more than the usual distance) you'll never get an AEB activation because you'll already be braking by the time it comes on. If the AEB doesn't adjust the activation distance based on the increased stopping distance with the trailer, all it will do is beep and light up right before you crash. I guess it's possible that it does somehow account for a trailer, but I've never seen any documentation suggesting that's the case.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Like, by the time AEB activates, is there any realistic chance that it will make one bit of difference? IMO if you're driving sensibly with a trailer (controlling speed, paying attention, allowing more than the usual distance) you'll never get an AEB activation because you'll already be braking by the time it comes on. If the AEB doesn't adjust the activation distance based on the increased stopping distance with the trailer, all it will do is beep and light up right before you crash. I guess it's possible that it does somehow account for a trailer, but I've never seen any documentation suggesting that's the case.
You're assuming nothing jumps out from behind a parked car or from behind a tree. The controller is designed to activate the trailer brakes when AEB trips. How is that not a good thing? Would you rather have the #7500 of trailer jackknifing the truck?

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I don't think it accounts or adjusts based on the trailer, but that would be nice if it did.

A couple of hypotheticals that come to my mind:
  • Another vehicle in front suddenly stops, and AEB slams on the brakes, but the trucks brakes alone being unable to do enough to slow down truck & trailer together.
  • Another vehicle cuts in-front, or an animal runs across the highway, or an object blows across the highway, and AEB slams on the brakes, causing the trailer to jackknife and maybe even roll over instead of remain in-line.
AEB only activates at the last moment so it's probably rare, sure, but if you're in that deep then your foot is probably not on the brake pedal nor your hand on the trailer brake control. It would suck to lose a trailer just because the brake controller didn't work with AEB. It would suck even more to also lose your truck, your life, or the lives of others because of it.

Last edited:

dobs88

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT S-Cab, 2020 Toyota Camry LE
Occupation
Retired
I wish I’d found this thread earlier, I have the Redarc from eTrailer being delivered tomorrow, looks like I’ll need to setup a return. Seeing that I haven’t installed anything yet, I’ll call around tomorrow and see if I can get the Ford approved controller locally, if not I’ll order from Levitttown Ford. It seems to me Ford should have thought this through a bit more, offering a truck with a 7,500lb tow capacity and not including the brake controller with the tow package seems short sighted. Perhaps the tow package should cost a bit more and include the controller.
PS- I did try the Curt Echo controller and used it to tow my travel trailer home, it seemed to work fine, I just wasn’t comfortable using it. PS - on my truck the Curt Echo couldn’t be paired until a trailer was connected, just an FYI.
Sponsored