First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
PS - on my truck the Curt Echo couldn’t be paired until a trailer was connected, just an FYI.
Thanks for mentioning that - the 7way doesn't get powered by the truck until a trailer is hooked up. So you have to have your trailer right there in order to play with the Echo.

EDIT: You may also need to tap the brake pedal before the truck sees the trailer etc
Sponsored

Last edited:

dobs88

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT S-Cab, 2020 Toyota Camry LE
Occupation
Retired
I completed the install of the Ford approved Redarc yesterday. About 5hr start to finish, it could have gone quicker but I’m pretty meticulous. I mounted the control switch on the center console by the shifter. I found it easiest to to remove the CHMSL light from the bed to remove the connector you’ll need to tap into, just push it through from the outside into the cab. Also of note is the fact that the 4 wires located near the fuse box were very short, I’m an average size guy and found it awkward to get in there to install the butt connectors. (Also, with the Ford branded Redarc you’ll only be connecting to the blue and yellow wire). I took my TT for a ride today to calibrate the Redarc and test the brakes, all went well. Hope this helps.

Monark323

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XTL FX4
I completed the install of the Ford approved Redarc yesterday. About 5hr start to finish, it could have gone quicker but I’m pretty meticulous. I mounted the control switch on the center console by the shifter. I found it easiest to to remove the CHMSL light from the bed to remove the connector you’ll need to tap into, just push it through from the outside into the cab. Also of note is the fact that the 4 wires located near the fuse box were very short, I’m an average size guy and found it awkward to get in there to install the butt connectors. (Also, with the Ford branded Redarc you’ll only be connecting to the blue and yellow wire). I took my TT for a ride today to calibrate the Redarc and test the brakes, all went well. Hope this helps.
Any pictures to show how you did the install? Thanks ??

dobs88

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT S-Cab, 2020 Toyota Camry LE
Occupation
Retired
Any pictures to show how you did the install? Thanks ??
I didn’t take any photos, but I read through the manual several times before starting. Although the manual is short on written directions, if you pay attention to the icons In the beginning and refer back to them throughout it makes sense. The directions are pretty straightforward until you get to the CHMSL, this is where you need to be careful. Follow the guide exactly and you’ll be fine. Again, I found it easiest to remove the CHMSL light from the bed of the truck to push the connector into the cab. It’s tight working behind the headliner. I mounted the modules under the steering wheel as shown in the manual, there is enough cable if you choose to mount the switch by the shifter as I did. If you search the forums here someone had posted a guide to remove the trim panels for removing these to install the switch. I printed them out an didn’t save the link. Good luck.

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
anyone have any pictures of getting at the wiring harness for the CHMSL from the back. I've got everything done in the front of my truck (Except still waiting for the adapter to replace my 12v socket), and the wire is run to the back and up the C pillar (Crew Cab). Now I'm staring at the headliner and can't figure out what to do next. I pulled the rear light from the bed side, and there's a very small wire going to the light itself from inside the cab, it looks to me like it's probably not the one I need, it appears to go into the cab through some tape. So I'm a little lost on what to do next.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
anyone have any pictures of getting at the wiring harness for the CHMSL from the back. I've got everything done in the front of my truck (Except still waiting for the adapter to replace my 12v socket), and the wire is run to the back and up the C pillar (Crew Cab). Now I'm staring at the headliner and can't figure out what to do next. I pulled the rear light from the bed side, and there's a very small wire going to the light itself from inside the cab, it looks to me like it's probably not the one I need, it appears to go into the cab through some tape. So I'm a little lost on what to do next.
Look through my posts. Any trouble private message me

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look through my posts. Any trouble private message me
Thank you Gbritt, looking through your posts now, you have been quite prolific, thank you for your contributions. So far haven't seen the pictures I was inquiring after, just a description that you had done it by pulling that light. I found this post showing pulling down the headliner but not how you got access to the wires through the CHSML https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...rake-controller-availability.3562/post-110060

If you had a different picture in mind I'd appreciate a link to that post. Otherwise I can also just PM you for the info but I think others might find it valuable. I appreciate your willingness to help.

I did find another post looking through yours with pictures: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-licensed-tbc-install-instructions.5971/post-114806 I'm still not quite following how you get from the rear light to that connector though.

I think from here maybe I disconnect the white plug from the CHSML and then push it back through the sticky stuff over the hole into the cab, and then down and it will pull the harness I need with it? I'm worried about doing that because I assume that tape like material is something to prevent some water intrusion and I don't want to cause a leak? I don't believe the harness I'm looking to get to is the connection the CHSML itself, it doesn't look at all like the other pictures in the above post.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Gbritt, looking through your posts now, you have been quite prolific, thank you for your contributions. So far haven't seen the pictures I was inquiring after, just a description that you had done it by pulling that light. I found this post showing pulling down the headliner but not how you got access to the wires through the CHSML https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...rake-controller-availability.3562/post-110060

If you had a different picture in mind I'd appreciate a link to that post. Otherwise I can also just PM you for the info but I think others might find it valuable. I appreciate your willingness to help.

I did find another post looking through yours with pictures: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-licensed-tbc-install-instructions.5971/post-114806 I'm still not quite following how you get from the rear light to that connector though.

I think from here maybe I disconnect the white plug from the CHSML and then push it back through the sticky stuff over the hole into the cab, and then down and it will pull the harness I need with it? I'm worried about doing that because I assume that tape like material is something to prevent some water intrusion and I don't want to cause a leak? I don't believe the harness I'm looking to get to is the connection the CHSML itself, it doesn't look at all like the other pictures in the above post.
Hi Gremlin,

Search these formums and you will find that you can access the CHMSL at the under dash fuse block...no need to go to the rear light. Why the directions indicate this has to be generic...No need for the headliner tear up.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Gremlin,

Search these formums and you will find that you can access the CHMSL at the under dash fuse block...no need to go to the rear light. Why the directions indicate this has to be generic...No need for the headliner tear up.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,

thank you yes I've read all the 35 pages of this thread, and the other thread on the TBC instructions as well. I have seen the notes about picking up the CHMSL from the fuse block, but I have yet to see anyone show pictures or report that they've done it successfully. Being an ex Ford Engineer I'm sure you understand better than most that they probably didn't want people tapping into a big harness so they came up with a way not to do that, which didn't also involve an excessive block of wires put between two larger connectors, so we know why Ford did it this way. Given that I haven't seen anyone do it I debated being the first and decided to go with the way most others are doing it and the instructions say.

So my questions remain and if anyone has pictures or helpful words of wisdom on doing this I'd love to hear them. I have a sliding window and a super cab if that makes a difference.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil,

thank you yes I've read all the 35 pages of this thread, and the other thread on the TBC instructions as well. I have seen the notes about picking up the CHMSL from the fuse block, but I have yet to see anyone show pictures or report that they've done it successfully. Being an ex Ford Engineer I'm sure you understand better than most that they probably didn't want people tapping into a big harness so they came up with a way not to do that, which didn't also involve an excessive block of wires put between two larger connectors, so we know why Ford did it this way. Given that I haven't seen anyone do it I debated being the first and decided to go with the way most others are doing it and the instructions say.

So my questions remain and if anyone has pictures or helpful words of wisdom on doing this I'd love to hear them. I have a sliding window and a super cab if that makes a difference.
HI Gremlin,

I believe there are a couple folks that have successfully tapped into the correct wire at the fuse block under the dash. Wish I could remember the handle of one of the posters to guide you. Darn failing memory....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI Gremlin,

I believe there are a couple folks that have successfully tapped into the correct wire at the fuse block under the dash. Wish I could remember the handle of one of the posters to guide you. Darn failing memory....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Well one of the first posts talking about where it would be is herE: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-licensed-tbc-install-instructions.5971/post-105637

Last night I read through both threads and might have missed it, I saw people saying they were planning on tapping in sooner, but I don't think I saw photos of anyone having done it or comments that it had been done. I may have missed it though, I read through 35 pages of this thread, 200 posts from gbritt89 and the other entire TBC instruction thread. You get bleary eyed after a while

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
HI Gremlin,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
@gremlin

look at my thread for chmsl strobe. Sorry, on phone so can’t link

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Hey Phil,

Maybe this? https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/factory-brake-controller-install.12488/

On another note I don't get why people are saying you can't get into the headliner if you have the openable window. Today's the first time I've heard of that.. I installed mine without pulling down the whole headliner... maybe I'll see if I can snap a quick video of how I did it.

EDIT: Video incoming...

Last edited:

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe this? https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/factory-brake-controller-install.12488/

On another note I don't get why people are saying you can't get into the headliner if you have the openable window. Today's the first time I've heard of that.. I installed mine in my without pulling down the whole headliner... maybe I'll see if I can snap a quick video of how I did it.

EDIT: Video incoming...
That thread contains links to the information and ends with someone querying why everyone is pulling headliners when a work around has been presented, but from what I can see doesn't show the workaround having been done.

I'm eagerly awaiting your video!

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
That thread contains links to the information and ends with someone querying why everyone is pulling headliners when a work around has been presented, but from what I can see doesn't show the workaround having been done.

I'm eagerly awaiting your video!
Here you go:

Any wrinkles you create should go away once pushed back into place (you can see one near my rear facing dashcam when I am pulling, and it's gone once I've pushed it back).

Dealing with the connector in there is still not the easiest thing in the world but it's definitely doable.

Oh and if you unscrew the CHMSL itself you can probably make it even easier.
Sponsored