5000 mile oil changes?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
My oil life meter seems to work. It was asking me to change around only 4500 miles and by 6000 it was really reminding me. She never would have let me go 10,000. I think it said only 3% oil life remained when I changed at 6000. The oil life monitor is a very sophisticated idiot-light, and I feel guilty for waiting so long to change my damn oil in the first place. Why be cheap about oil and filters? Maybe the car manufacturers need these long oil change intervals for some environmental reasons?
Is it possible that someone forgot or neglected to reset the oil life monitor with the previous oil change?
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There are a few things making me uncomfortable about the oil life situation and pushing me towards more frequent oil changes. I'm in this truck for the long haul. I don't care about warranty coverage as much as getting a good quarter million miles out of my engine. I don't intend to sell in 5 years and may in fact still be in the truck in 10-15 years.
See, the thing is that changing your oil daily can't guarantee that the engine will last a quarter million miles. Some of them will. Some of them will last that long with the manufacturer recommended maintenance. Some will last that long with less maintenance. Some will last that long with ridiculously overconscientious maintenance. How many is some? Who knows. But the real number you need to know is "what is the difference in probability that the engine will last 250000 miles with the specified maintenance vs some other interval". It's probably a pretty low number. Then you figure out what the cost of the new engine will be. Let's say $5k. Then you calculate what the extra maintenance costs. Let's say $1k. Would a 100% chance of not spending $5k be worth $1k? Of course. Would a 1% chance of not spending $5k be worth $1k? No way. The thing is, you don't know that percentage. Only Ford can guess at that percentage with any credible data. The probability that a maintenance schedule from the internet will beat Ford's is probably a hell of a lot closer to 1% than 100%. Here's the other thing: you don't know what the percentage is with any specific alternate maintenance schedule. Is it 75% if you change the oil at 5k and 95% if you change the oil at 1k? Is it still 75% if if you change the oil at 10k? 85% at 3k? And remember, the important number is the difference in probability between different maintenance schedules, not the probability using one specific schedule. So if it's 95% likely to last 250k miles with the manufacturer schedule and 95.00001% likely to last 250k miles at a 5k schedule, you're spending $1k for .00001%. Don't go to Vegas to play those odds.

All of the important numbers other than the amount spent on maintenance and an estimate for the cost of a new engine in 10 years are completely unknown to the general public. And yet people act like some number other than the one specified by the manufacturer has any validity and that there's a rational basis for some arbitrary maintenance schedule. They have just about as much rational basis for improving the truck's odds of hitting 250k miles by rubbing their head every time they sit in it.

I mean, if it makes someone personally happy to change their oil every week, that's fine--as long as they don't claim it's anything other than a security blanket.

From a financial standpoint it's almost certainly more sensible to follow the recommended service interval, invest the money you'd spend on more frequent maintenance and oil analysis, and go on vacation with the money when the truck hits 250k. In the worst case you use the money to buy a new engine. If you just want peace of mind buy an extended warranty (you can get a third party 200k mile warranty).

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
Is it possible that someone forgot or neglected to reset the oil life monitor with the previous oil change?
No, I had it since new and it was definitely 100% oil life on delivery. I only average 14.5mpg on account of always having a VERY good time driving my truck... After 6000 miles the oil was almost jet black, but still slippery, and without grit and goobers.

Impressive when compared to the oils we had for anything turbocharged in the 80's and 90's. Turbo-boogers were a legit bummer, and a direct result of waiting too long to change the oil, and always aggresively spooling the turbo right before shutting off the engine. Modern oils don't booger up so easily.
This is making me want to go sniff my dipstick...

Reactions: Doc

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
The thing is, you don't know that percentage. Only Ford can guess at that percentage
And Ford never will. The percentage of failure will always be unknown, bar a widespread catastrophic design or manufacturing flaw (ahem, Focus R/S headgaskets), so your guess of "it's closer to 1% than 100%" is just that; a complete guess. You take it on complete faith your truck will make it to 250k miles with what Ford suggests as a regular maintenance schedule.

You are right that changing the oil @ 5k vs 10k will net around $1k (closer to $900) more in maintenance costs over the lifetime of the vehicle. For me, that is $1k more over 19 years if we are talking end of life @ 250k miles (I drove a little under 13k miles in ownership this year). I will pay that piece of mind no problem, especially given the data shown all over this forum. That $1k is less than any extended warranty, any decent vacation, and most importantly far less than any engine replacement will ever cost.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I don't get this fascination for looking at oil numbers and ignoring financial numbers. Especially since the financial numbers actually mean something, unlike the oil numbers.
So you don't get that some folks have extreme fuel dilution and the oil change monitor doesn't adjust oil change intervals for that?

And that the Blackstone analysis takes that dilution into account and Blackstone uses their expertise to suggest different oil change intervals?

The folks who own Rangers with fuel dilution issues need to know what oil change intervals make sense. And since the fuel dilution percentage is all over the map, using Blackstone or a similar testing lab is an analytical approach to determining the oil change interval, on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
And Ford never will. The percentage of failure will always be unknown, bar a widespread catastrophic design or manufacturing flaw (ahem, Focus R/S headgaskets), so your guess of "it's closer to 1% than 100%" is just that; a complete guess. You take it on complete faith your truck will make it to 250k miles with what Ford suggests as a regular maintenance schedule.
Work on the reading comprehension. I didn't say the engine would make it to 250k with Ford's schedule, I said that the chance that your schedule makes it more likely to hit 250k than Ford's schedule is closer 1% than 100%. With all the ways an engine can fail (or the car can get totaled, or some other major component can crap out) to assert that a specific non standard oil change interval will significantly improve the odds that the thing will run longer is nothing but voodoo engineering. The engine may well blow up long before 250k, for reasons unrelated to the oil change interval.

I guess this is that trendy rejection of expertise--it's better to go with your gut than with Ford because the time and effort they put into designing and testing the product mean nothing compared to certainty based on internet oil discussions. The engineers are not going to be right all the time, but at least some effort went into finding the right answer.

You are right that changing the oil @ 5k vs 10k will net around $1k (closer to $900) more in maintenance costs over the lifetime of the vehicle. For me, that is $1k more over 19 years if we are talking end of life @ 250k miles (I drove a little under 13k miles in ownership this year). I will pay that piece of mind no problem, especially given the data shown all over this forum. That $1k is less than any extended warranty, any decent vacation, and most importantly far less than any engine replacement will ever cost.
And has no guarantee that it will increase the life of the engine. If that gives you peace of mind that's fine, but baseless. Also, don't forget a decent investment return on the $1k--same thing insurance companies make their money on.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
If you put one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other in a bucket of very hot water on AVERAGE you will be comfortable. The CEO of Levis jeans says you should never machine wash jeans, the company itself says wait at least every ten wears before doing so. Many of us do it more often.

Those of us who like to shoot a few rounds at targets can open up the debate about over cleaning twisted chrome barrels which can actually lead to inaccuracy. Everyone has an opinion and all have some valid points in their arguments.

I trust the engineers at Ford completely and if 10K is the upper limit it is good to know it can be done if needed. For all the reasons stated in prior posts I am personally in the 5K camp. There is mileage and time component, both of which matter, especially in the heat of the desert. My last truck lasted me thirteen years with no engine issues at all, 5K intervals were done. To each their own.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I trust the engineers at Ford completely...
I'm guessing you don't have a $30,000+ Ford Ranger with motor oil fuel dilution issues... shit happens.

A good rule is "Trust, But Verify". The verification is to have an oil analysis performed.

And when that analysis says change the oil more frequently, who in their right mind wouldn't?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'm guessing you don't have a $30,000+ Ford Ranger with motor oil fuel dilution issues... shit happens.

A good rule is "Trust, But Verify". The verification is to have an oil analysis performed.

And when that analysis says change the oil more frequently, who in their right mind wouldn't?
The owners manual is "the bible" right?

Some people take whats written in it as the end all be all and then just deny science.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.

Totally agree ! To each their own. 5K works for me.

You are half right, my truck is 30K plus in value, but I have had no gas in oil issues. My 2019 Ranger (bought in Nov 19) has 11k miles on it, 6K of which are all freeway from AZ to CA and back. 5 to 6 hours 75 mph almost non-stop. My theory is that helps burn any excess fuel that might be in the oil. Not worried a single bit about that issue, if it comes up I trust Ford will make it right, not going to torture myself with what ifs. Just curious, has any 2019+ Ranger owner with high miles suffered any engine damage of any kind over this concept ? I know it is early, but the way people are going on it sounds like major damage on a large scale has already happened. Not seeing evidence of it.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I guess this is that trendy rejection of expertise.
:clap:

So let's get this straight. Some of us took our oil from our motors to an expert in order to find our recommended oil maintenance schedule backed up by quantifiable data. Then, you criticize us by saying we are rejecting expertise? :crazy:

You don't even know what you are arguing. I think you just like to type.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
The oil life monitor is generic, set on different inputs like load, towing temp etc. It is not scientific, but a guide based on averages. It has no way of knowing if you're using full synthetic Mobil or the worst oil in the world. Extended oil change intervals/oil breaking down increases oil vapor thru the pcv which contributes to the intake valve deposit build up. Enough for your average person to ever notice? Time will tell. But for people keeping them long term, 5k oil changes with a quality oil and filter is good insurance. I am not suggesting people following the oil life monitor are wrong, it may be splitting hairs for the vast majority, but it certainly doesn't hurt to change the oil a little sooner. I do 5k, because I rotate my tires every 5k. Usually my monitor is around 20%-25% so I'm not going overboard to what the pre set parameters say anyhow. There's no one size fits all answer here. Too many variables.
Sponsored