Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
No. Not you. Amsoil reps stay away. :punch:
I never mentioned Amsoil at all lol. Just common sense.
What's on the bottle is what matters. I hope you all read the bottle of windshield wash before you put summer wash in, in the winter lol.
Sponsored

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
My bottle of Quaker State motor oil says that it’s performance specifications meet or exceed Ford WSS-M2C947-A specs. Even oil companies read the manufacturers Owners Manual.
And it probably does meet or exceed them, no doubt. But does your bottle give drain intervals? And drain intervals with all the different filters on the market?

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
Even oil companies read the manufacturers Owners Manual.
We've read it. We have also read independent analysis, to you know, make a sound judgement regarding our investment. You do you, guy. Shear that oil and wear that metal to 10k to save a couple bucks and obey the all knowing Ford overlords!

Alright I'm losing it with thread, as most do with oil threads. But the proof is in the pudding. Do what you want with your truck, some are just suggesting a healthy alternative.

Last edited:

BoilerMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
See username
And it probably does meet or exceed them, no doubt. But does your bottle give drain intervals? And drain intervals with all the different filters on the market?
I usually drain a bottle in twenty minutes. My Ranger tells me when to drain/change the oil and the dealer does it for free. No need to compare different filters.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
@HenryMac

It took me less than five minutes to find a report on this site, convert it from pdf to jpg to show you, that even with trace fuel dilution viscosity has already broken down before 5k.

0001.jpg

Do what you want with your truck. Even cry at Ford for marketing you something with a 10k interval, but remember that people with nothing to lose or gain on this forum just tried to help you.
Thanks.

Says right in the report the viscosity isn't an issue. I change mine every 4,000 miles, just looking for confirmation of what is really needed.

BoilerMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
See username
We've read it. We have also read independent analysis, to you know, make a sound judgement regarding our investment. You do you, guy. Sheer that oil and wear that metal to 10k to save a couple bucks and obey the all knowing Ford overlords!

Alright I'm losing it with thread, as most do with oil threads. But the proof is in the pudding. Do what you want with your truck, some are just suggesting a healthy alternative.
The proof is in the pudding? So prove that the manufacturer is suggesting I ”wear that metal to 10k” compared to any other independent analysis. Following the manufactures maintenance schedule will give your vehicle many years and miles of reliable service. Want to change the oil everyday? Go ahead. I never criticized anyone for changing the oil too much. Me? I’m going with Ford’s recommendations. Not my fault a second opinion sets you off.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
Following the manufactures maintenance schedule will give your vehicle many years and miles of reliable service.
My cabin air filter was spent before 10k and my air filter is almost there too at 13k. I believe the recommendation is 20k for cabin and 30k for air filter according to the manual. I will not follow the suggested maintenance schedule because I want this vehicle to last, and the manual can't visually inspect my filters or my oil like a lab analysis can.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
Thanks.

Says right in the report the viscosity isn't an issue.
You are welcome, and you are right. I was also told my viscosity, and even my fuel dilution, isn't an issue. The oil life monitor has no way of knowing this or telling me this. It bases its number off of 10k with minor adjustments from driving style. It is nowhere near a trustworthy reference. The plan is to err on the safe side because I'd rather not run 5w20 or 5w15 in an engine that calls for 5w30 and shears oil so willingly. Again, the proof is there, and y'all can make any judgement you want regarding your truck. This is all just a brainstorm.

Last edited:

BoilerMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
See username
My cabin air filter was spent before 10k and my air filter is almost there too at 13k. I believe the recommendation is 20k for cabin and 30k for air filter according to the manual. I will not follow the suggested maintenance schedule because I want this vehicle to last, and the manual can't visually inspect my filters or my oil like a lab analysis can.
This is an oil change thread. A mostly sealed system. I live in the Pine Barrens (not very barren) and the pollen in the spring probably clogs air filters like nothing seen in Detroit. I will check my air filters prior to bringing my vehicles to the dealer and advise them to change if I feel they are dirty. But I will check them prior to 20k. If Ford said change them at 15k I would check prior to the recommendation and decide at that time. For this thread I believe 5K is too early. Obey the oil change indicator and spend less time at the dealer.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
...tailpipe. Just add more bulk and run'er like a total loss lube system! if I recall, we used to charge $6 or $7 for a lube, oil, and filter change at the Shell station I worked part time in '66. No sealed bearings, lotsa Zerks.
beside my job in the Navy, working at the shell station in high school 67-69 just before that, was the "best f%cling job I ever had"....quote from movie Fury.
Sponsored