Oil changes and running boards

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Two questions for you, my friends. How often do you get your oil changed? What are your favorite factory running boards? (If could send a link, too, that would be much obliged).
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Two questions for you, my friends. How often do you get your oil changed? What are your favorite factory running boards? (If could send a link, too, that would be much obliged).
You really want to start a war, don't you? :) How frequently to change your oil is almost as controversial as what oil to use!

For me, I basically follow the oil life monitor on the truck. I don't wait until the last minute to change it, but I mostly follow it. I think the first oil change was about 8k and I just did the second one not too long ago which was 15k or so. Both times I had 10-15% oil life left on the monitor I think.

OP
OP
shirts_184

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely don’t want to start a war!

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I change the oil in my vehicles once a year, or every 5K miles. Whichever comes first. Disclaimer: Others do different. :)

A far as running boards I passed on the factory one as I just can't see the price. So, these are the ones I ordered for my SuperCab.

These are for the Crew Cab, but they are the same material as mine. The are well built, and a much more reasonable price. These are considered side steps on the TAC site, but they also have running boards.

https://www.tacautoparts.com/collec...side-bars-nerf-bars-off-road-accessories-2pcs

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I came of age in the days of 3k mile oil changes. I ignore oil monitors and my habit for years is 5k oil and filter changes. I use synthetic oil and a quality filter. At the same time I rotate the tires.

Sometimes I'll send an oil sample off for analysis.

I didn't care for factory running boards as I thought they hang too low for off road use. I ended up using Go Rhino running boards. They are a little higher and offer some protection from flying gravel and rocks.

OP
OP
shirts_184

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thank you guys so much. Great tips. I was told by a family member that he does 5K in all his vehicles. I didn’t like the look (or cost) of the factory running boards, so thanks for the tips!

Justwaithere

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I was looking at these. You’re happy with them? I like that they mount higher than nerf bars and don’t stick way out like some running boards. Some reviews say they don’t offer much platform as a step. Is that your experience?
They're okay. They have enough platform that I can step on them to wash the windshield or roof. I'm tall enough I really don't need them to get in and out of my Ranger. The main reason I got them was for rocker protection on gravel roads and rock protection. They also sell a version that is wider.
Sponsored