40k miles going for oil change, should anything else be looked at/flushed?

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Nice - I’ve really only been through there on my way to and from Phoenix - never stopped but it sure looks like a great place to live. 👍
Other than the ludicrous housing prices it's a great place to spend time!
Sponsored

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Around that mileage I did a transmission fluid and filter change, rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid. I generally take the service interval Ford recommends and cut it in half.

I also flushed brake fluid and coolant, but those can probably wait. I changed due to years.

EAC83

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
I would most definitely get a drain and fill on the transmission fluid . At 45k I started noticing the transmission would slip slightly when upshifting to 6th and 10th gears. It would also slip on downshifts in multiple gears at normal driving . There would be a slight rev in the rpm’s when the shift took place. So I decided to do a drain/fill/filter replacement. To my surprise the fluid was solid black and smelled burnt. I didn’t drive the truck hard and only tow a 12’ trailer and sxs maybe 20-30 times a year . After the fluid change I noticed an improvement but slipping still occurred . I loved the truck but made the decision to trade her in for a 4Runner recently . I just didn’t want to deal with getting the transmission replaced under warranty only to last another 40k and be out of warranty. My opinion is It should be stated in the manual to change the tranny fluid at 30k intervals. Not saying every truck will be this way but that was my experience. I attached a picture of the fluid that I poured onto a piece of white felt for reference .
IMG_2701.jpeg

THEMIZE

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XLT 2WD, '21 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Design Engineer
Make damn sure you get your belts checked. The inside belt on my truck let go Monday night and took out a piece of the front engine (timing cover. Had to wait 2 hours for a tow in West Texas in dense fog.
I thought the Ranger had timing chain not belt..

Hethern

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Ranger
Occupation
Communications Technician aka (Phone Man)
Vehicle Showcase
Serpentine belt that runs the Alternator and the water pump broke and damaged the timing cover.

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Serpentine belt that runs the Alternator and the water pump broke and damaged the timing cover.
Would/did the powertrain warranty cover this?

Hethern

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's covered, I don't know by what yet. I also have a 7yr 100k warranty that I purchased. It's supposed to be ready today or tomorrow.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Since we are doing the better safe than sorry, battery replacement, cooling fan anti-rotational hose, lube blend air door linkage, apply anti-seize to spark plug threads, and rotate the damper. Did I miss anything other than what was already suggested?
Edit.. walnut shell blasting.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Since we are doing the better safe than sorry, battery replacement, cooling fan anti-rotational hose, lube blend air door linkage, apply anti-seize to spark plug threads, and rotate the damper. Did I miss anything other than what was already suggested?
Edit.. walnut shell blasting.
The only thing I did at 45k was tires, oil change, alignment. Runs great. I will consider tranny at 50k. We'll see.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Make damn sure you get your belts checked. The inside belt on my truck let go Monday night and took out a piece of the front engine (timing cover. Had to wait 2 hours for a tow in West Texas in dense fog.
If your damage to the Timing Cover is this, then you have it backwards.
The Tensioner locks up or breaks off then the belt breaks or fly's off.
You are not the first.
Ref: This Thread

Belt Tensioner SNAPPED OFF | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

The jury is still out on whether or not this is a Casting Issue (flawed) either way it should NOT break off, but the way it is designed - IT IS A WEAK POINT and the tension from the Belt Tensioner stresses this point until it just let's go.
Any Bearing drag in the Belt Tensioner will only add more stress to this point.

This is reason #3 for my purchase of the extended warranty. (Just In Case - I would need to use it)
#1 = Transmission Issues and #2 = HVAC Issues and #4 = Spark Plug Well (Water) Issues.
Thankfully I do not have any of the above (YET)

All of which are expensive and time-consuming fixes, even if I do it myself.

The question remains for those that have had this happen, Did the Tensioner make any abnormal noise that would have possibly been a warning that was ignored.
I know most would just think belt squeal or grumble noise, its ok, I will check it later.

PSX_20230926_201925.jpg

Last edited:

Hethern

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That would explain the belt coming off. All Ford said is there was damage to Timing cover and no explanation. Thanks airline tech!

SchoolZoneSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I recommend transmission service with filter change, and change the fluid in the front and rear differentials and the transfer case. Do them at the Ford dealer, and hopefully they have BG products. If you do those services before 50k and them make sure to perform them before 50k miles every time, BG has a warranty program that will cover you after the factory warranty expires. I used to be a Ford service advisor, and I had BG cover a transmission and a rear diff before. It is a legit warranty.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Lube in the axle(s) and, if 4x4, transfer case. Trans fluid if you're extra picky and feeling spendy.
Air filter and cabin air filter.
Sponsored