First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Amazon yes. I'm very careful about what I order car-wise from them.

Rockauto, no. Fully confident in what they sell/ship.
Same. RockAuto has been RockSolid for me for many years. Never had a problem with quality or fitment.

Amazon is a complete crapshoot when it comes to car parts.
Sponsored

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Cup of water I drank this morning
1699826423680.png

VS cup of Pee I vacated tonight
1699826512289.png

Its all relative until we see an actual chemical analysis of what's going on with it.
For all we know, the darkness is friction disk material. My wheels take on a dusty rusty appearance days after washing because the brake lining wears. Doesn't mean our brakes are toast.

I look forward to Stic-o posting his results. It will tip the scales one way or another for me.
Mine still looks like beer…

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
How is it that 4 beers at night equals six gallons of pee during the night
Alcohol = Diuretic - makes ya pee more

That's why Gatorade/Poweraid is a good thing to slam before you pass out and when you get up.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
BTW, I am installing my PPE Deep pan very soon. It holds an additional 1.75 quarts. So the 1 oz / quart is needed info. Hoping the relearn, deep pan and Platinum does the trick. Just hit 20K. When it is on the lift I will flush/bleed the brakes as well.
Did you ever do your pan and fluid/lubegard?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
changing your oil earlier wont help with the CDF bushing problem.
I wonder about that? Could changing the ULV and filter keep crap out of the bushing since the previous design seemed to slip out? I'd be curious if the additive @ctechbob suggests would help stave that off - and if Ford could even detect it in a failed trans.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I wonder about that? Could changing the ULV and filter keep crap out of the bushing since the previous design seemed to slip out? I'd be curious if the additive @ctechbob suggests would help stave that off - and if Ford could even detect it in a failed trans.
Ehh, I doubt it. I don't see it as being able to help that particular problem since the bushing actually moves.

As far as detecting it. I don't worry about that. If it fails under warranty they're probably not going to go looking, since these things are a bit of a known problem.

Now if the transmission failed in a way that was novel and new, they might go digging deeper. But if it was the bushing thing(or valve body etc), they're just going to chalk it up to the game and move on are my thoughts on that matter.

I'm doing it mostly because I feel that it will keep the valve body functioning correctly. Looking at the big picture:

Sonnax has developed several valves to deal with worn valve bodies

Ford has somewhat acknowledged a valve body issue

Lubegard has done some testing that indicates that the Platinum additive could potentially help with wear in Mercon ULV.

So, my conclusion is that the valve bodies could perhaps use a little help to keep the timings right. (Hence my early and often fluid changes to keep junk out of the filter/valve body)

From here:

https://www.lubegard.com/latest-news/viscosity-in-depth-review/

1702267178234.png

That's the thought process I followed to arrive at the decision to use it in my trans. I don't think it will help with the bushing issue, but who knows what actually causes that.

Last edited: