What should I be considering for service at 25,000 miles?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Might as well add front axle fluid as well, since he's been using 4x4.

Other than that, as with any offroad vehicle, check steering tie rod ends, driveshaft ujoints, CV axles, regrease brake caliper pins, power steering fluid
Using 4x4 or not, the front axle and gears are always turning, just as well do front axle.
Sponsored

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Using 4x4 or not, the front axle and gears are always turning, just as well do front axle.
Yes, I would do it regardless. I just meant that since he's using 4x4 a lot and exerting force on the front ring and pinion, it would make sense to change it now.

If he was doing all 2wd, then if you were gonna skip something, you could probably skip the front diff and be fine.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Are people saying the axle and transfer case fluid change interval should be 25k, or just for the initial change?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Are people saying the axle and transfer case fluid change interval should be 25k, or just for the initial change?
According to the manual, transmission, transfer case and axle fluids should be done at 150,000 miles. Seems like that is a little long. Changing more often shouldn't hurt.

Reactions: EJH

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Apparently you didn't read my original post. Let me help you...

The whole reason I asked is because people have been living with these trucks since 2019 and have learned some things outside of what's suggested in the owner's manual. But you are oh so helpful!
Since you are not getting advice from people who have been there and you do a lot of driving where triple a will just laugh if you call, changing all the fluids yourself will establish your own baseline.
Having lived and travelled for long periods in places that breakdowns might have killed me
( the Alaskan bush), that is what I would do.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
If you are going to change the rear axle fluid, change the front as well. Those gears are still turning as much as the rear axle gears. Not always under load, but still turning.

Milton Lee

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lariat 4X2
Occupation
Retired USN F14 Tomcat fixer
I am curious on this as well as I'm also getting close to 25K.
Cabin filter, air filter and diff fluid change. All these can be done at home in the driveway for way less than $300.00. I have K&N filters in both places so I just wash and re-oil those, change the diff oil and inspect the under carriage to include exhaust system, drive shaft and universal joints. Open hood and inspect the engine compartment. 2 hours for me, and I didn't have to lose my truck for a day or wait at the dealer for 3 or 4 hours waiting for the service.
The only thing I pay someone for is the oil change, the most aggravating position for a oil filter in Ford's history.
So yes, follow the owners manual for your service intervals and do it yourself, keep your money for upgrading your Ranger.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
The only thing I pay someone for is the oil change, the most aggravating position for a oil filter in Ford's history.
For the 1992 Ford Cougar, Ford made a V8 available in what had been a V6 model before. To change the oil filter was a rough challenge, making the filter change on the current Ranger seem like a walk in the park.

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I did both my diff’s at 20k and glad I did….fluid was nasty. After getting the break in fluid out probably wont do them again for another 50k

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm at about 25,000 miles on my 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4. This thing has seen a good enough amount of off-roading and has so far been a super reliable truck. I know I can look up service intervals in the owner's manual, but I'm looking for real world advice on what I should consider having serviced. I love this truck and want it around for the long haul!
2022-02-12 12.43.44.jpg
I am curious on this as well as I'm also getting close to 25K.
Your Owners Manual shows scheduled maintenance out to 200,000 miles, and intervals vary depending on the type of driving you do.

You can download an Owner's Manual free for any Ford product going back to 1996 Here.
Much easier to use than the printed copy buried or missing in the glovebox.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Your Owners Manual shows scheduled maintenance out to 200,000 miles, and intervals vary depending on the type of driving you do.

You can download an Owner's Manual free for any Ford product going back to 1996 Here.
Much easier to use than the printed copy buried or missing in the glovebox.
Owners manual recommendations is to get you past the warranty period with minimal warranty claims and making it look like low cost of ownership.
Like building codes, they are minimums.

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
I'm at 25k and while I was due for an oil change decided to change the transfer case fluid also. The stuff that came out was light brown. Now with the new fluid and a hundred miles in the butt dyno thinks the clunky shifting is gone. Think I will do it again when I hit 50k just to compare.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
There are a some things I REALLY want to see on the upcoming Ranger.
- 4A. For most folks this is a great solution, particularly in the winter when the roads range from covered with snow/ice and dry.
- Torque vectoring. This is easy since its married with the ABS system. It's even on the new Maverick. A huge improvement for any 4-wheel drive system.
- Front diff/gear disconnect. The F-150 does this and this was expected on our Rangers. Gain a couple of MPG too. There is a gear just inside the hub controlled by vacuum. Like vectoring, a pretty cheap fix. Not to totally hijack the thread, this would prevent fluid changes for the front diff almost forever for most folks.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
There are a some things I REALLY want to see on the upcoming Ranger.
- 4A. For most folks this is a great solution, particularly in the winter when the roads range from covered with snow/ice and dry.
- Torque vectoring. This is easy since its married with the ABS system. It's even on the new Maverick. A huge improvement for any 4-wheel drive system.
- Front diff/gear disconnect. The F-150 does this and this was expected on our Rangers. Gain a couple of MPG too. There is a gear just inside the hub controlled by vacuum. Like vectoring, a pretty cheap fix. Not to totally hijack the thread, this would prevent fluid changes for the front diff almost forever for most folks.
As evident with the 4G Pulse Vacuum Hubs, vacuum actuated anything becomes a nightmare over time.
Sponsored