What should I be considering for service at 25,000 miles?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at about 25,000 miles on my 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4. This thing has seen a good enough amount of off-roading and has so far been a super reliable truck. I know I can look up service intervals in the owner's manual, but I'm looking for real world advice on what I should consider having serviced. I love this truck and want it around for the long haul!
2022-02-12 12.43.44.jpg
Sponsored

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Are rear end and transfer case services listed in the maintenance manual for 25k?

Edit no they are not, even for off-road/dusty use.

Nope, but if you saw the condition of the fluid that comes out of both at that mileage... You'd want to change yours too.

Getting both done along with the worx package and a cabin air filter at the dealer is a measly 300$.

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Air filter, cabin filter, rear end, transfer case.
Might as well add front axle fluid as well, since he's been using 4x4.

Other than that, as with any offroad vehicle, check steering tie rod ends, driveshaft ujoints, CV axles, regrease brake caliper pins, power steering fluid

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
First check the maintenance section in the owners manual. That will tell you a lot of the mileage interval stuff. For me i would check the air filter but most likely change the oil with rotate. Obviously do a general check of things. As for other stuff i cant say.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Might as well add front axle fluid as well, since he's been using 4x4.

Other than that, as with any offroad vehicle, check steering tie rod ends, driveshaft ujoints, CV axles, regrease brake caliper pins, power steering fluid
Like the rear end, 25k is probably a good number of miles to change the front.

If he's been in 4x4 the entire time he's driven the truck I'd say go for it.. if not.. id hold off.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When's a good time to refresh the trans fluid on these things?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
When's a good time to refresh the trans fluid on these things?
150k miles per the manual, same as all the other fluids (minus oil, brake and coolant). Coolant is at 100k miles.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 123132.png

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
150k miles per the manual, same as all the other fluids (minus oil, brake and coolant). Coolant is at 100k miles.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 123132.png
I'm wondering if there may be a benefit to changing it earlier though. Let's say, what if I have a heavy right foot in stop light to stop light traffic? LOL

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'm wondering if there may be a benefit to changing it earlier though. Let's say, what if I have a heavy right foot in stop light to stop light traffic? LOL
I'm not waiting 150k, no good God damn way.

UNLESS, we start seeing Blackstone results on tranny fluid changed at that mileage.

I'm gonna start changing mine at 60k

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I'm at about 25,000 miles on my 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4. This thing has seen a good enough amount of off-roading and has so far been a super reliable truck. I know I can look up service intervals in the owner's manual, but I'm looking for real world advice on what I should consider having serviced. I love this truck and want it around for the long haul!
Oil and filter (I do mine every 5k), air filter, cabin air filter, both axles (they have drain plugs and are not hard to do yourself with an $8 transfer pump from Harbor Freight), transfer case (with the same pump). I changed them at 30k and they all drained out like tar.

On my trucks I flush the coolant and transmission and change the plugs every 50k.

Pro tips: The drain plugs and fill plugs are the same size but only the drain plugs have magnets so make sure you put them back in the right place. Wipe the magnets off. Cut the hoses for the Harbor Freight pump in half or less, they're a lot longer than you need. Ford calls for 80w-90 conventional lube in the axles, which is fine, but the only synthetic I found that meets the Ford spec in the owner's manual is Redline 75w-90. Redline D6 ATF meets the Ford spec for the transfer case. Rear axle takes a bit less than 2 quarts, front axle takes a bit over 1 quart, so 3 quarts is fine. I got mine on Amazon. Transfer case takes 1 quart. Based on past experience with how the lubes looked in my last truck, changing them every 30k turned out to be overkill, on the Ranger I will change the axles and t-case at 30k (done), 60k, 100k, and every 50k after that assuming I have it that long. I ran my old '08 Sport Trac to 212k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did everybody here get an owner's manual? Because I'm thinking that would be your first clue.
Apparently you didn't read my original post. Let me help you...
I know I can look up service intervals in the owner's manual, but I'm looking for real world advice on what I should consider having serviced.
The whole reason I asked is because people have been living with these trucks since 2019 and have learned some things outside of what's suggested in the owner's manual. But you are oh so helpful!
Sponsored