2024 Tacoma – Here's The New Competition! 🥊 Now With Hybrid Model

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Are they going to go forward with their abysmal payload ratings like the current Taco? Seriously, 1000# in a later model version I saw TFL test a week or so ago.

They'll sell all they can make, just because Toyota Tacoma, but unless they beefed something up underneath I'm not stoked.
Looks like 1709lbs payload on TRD off road per Toyota. Would think the hybrid ones would be lower.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/2024-toyota-tacoma-is-the-ultimate-adventure-machine/
Sponsored

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Meh.....

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
Toyota has its pluses (better features on entry trim) and if there is a hybrid 4WD / AWD option that gets ~30mpg city and roughly that highway I might change to it after a couple years when used vehicles are on the market. The Tacoma doesn't look as bad as the Tundra. If Ford counters with an AWD Maverick I would change in a heartbeat and without waiting. Truthfully all the midsize pickups are too big. Drop back down to first gen Ranger/S10/Tacoma sizes (which the Maverick is closer to) and they are much better suited for my use. Heck a 5G ranger is as big as an 80s F150.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I always preferred the rounded muscular looks of a Toyota. Now it looks all angular and cheap.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
After reading this thread, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm in my 20's, this angular, muscular trend does not appeal to me at all. Car's just look like hotwheels toys now. And form seems to be way ahead of function. Every Tacoma is 2-6 inches wider than the old model, but they are proud about how the cab is still the same width. So now you've just got big haunches that in my eyes look really ugly and are just asking to get curbed, scrapped, etc. I caveat all my opinions in that I am NOT an offroad/overland/mallcrawler junkie. I want a truck that works and is easy to use both inside and out. I bought a 2WD Ranger because I live in the south where I don't need 4WD and having 4WD is just more parts to maintain over the life of the vehicle. I actually went offroading with a Ranger group once and did more serious obstacles with my 2WD truck than a lot of guys with FX4's will ever do. I use my truck every other week to move oversized stuff in the bed. It gets a lot of use as a truck.

In terms of the new trucks out there, I still love the look of the Ranger 5g. I actually think the Ranger 6g looks the best (especially in the sport trim) of the new models even though most of us agree it looks worse than the 5g. The wheels are inside the body of the truck. Both the GM twins and Taco's wheels are now in fenders that extend well past the body of the truck. I think GM twins look decent and in some trims quite nice, but the Taco looks terrible in every trim. The chin spoiler almost touches the ground in the base trims. I don't really like the look of the Ranger Raptor either, again, the macho ness is lost on me when we are talking about smallish pickup trucks that just need to tow/haul/get to work and back in my mind. I guess I'm just a different demographic than all these trucks are aiming to get. I'm happy with my current truck.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I got far enough to see the tow ratings, didn't need to watch any more. 6,500lb not enough for me.
Totally agree dude. I hit the 7000, mark often. Ranger does everything i need it too. Well, almost, a post hole digger does not fit in the bed, or shovel :( need to put it in diagonal. So Ranger is the truck for me.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Totally agree dude. I hit the 7000, mark often. Ranger does everything i need it too. Well, almost, a post hole digger does not fit in the bed, or shovel :( need to put it in diagonal. So Ranger is the truck for me.
If I towed 7000 lbs regularly, I would have a full size truck. But, that’s just me.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
TRD Off Road 6 speed is really interesting me.

I want to see what GMC/chevy is doing with the Colorado as well.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
TRD Off Road 6 speed is really interesting me.

I want to see what GMC/chevy is doing with the Colorado as well.
From what I’ve read, you can’t get the TRD with the manual. TRD is only available with the hybrid and you can’t get the hybrid with the manual in any trim. The manual is only available in the lower trims, I think.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I always preferred the rounded muscular looks of a Toyota. Now it looks all angular and cheap.
And then I went out and bought a 23 Taco Today.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
This will be a 2 passenger (which is still one to many unless it's a dog) SuperCab , no rear seats or seatbelts, no illusion that a normal human could fit back there , BOUT DAMN TIME!!! I will have to give that a serious look just on the merits of their admission that they have been doing it wrong all these years ...
Sponsored