New rival incoming: 2024 Tacoma Hybrid and Turbo 4 Cylinder models (no more V6)

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
A rabid fanbase that will overlook any shortcomings, present them as actually being a benefit, and label you as jealous for daring to point them out.
Winner, winner chicken dinner. That's exactly what it will bring to the table. As that statement completely describes the whole of the Toyota Fan base.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Are we somehow overlooking that the new tundra won the prestigous truck of Texas award this year? That in and of itself might impact f150 sale nos, in a positive way of course.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
well it might be our only option for a extended cab? so................. guess it will be 300k miles until I get a new truck. or I might be that guy with a collection of 5g's for parts

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I have learned not to take anything from those review sites seriously as they seriously seem to lack any truth in my experience. Every time a family member, friend, or myself has bought anything based on cr it seems to fail. Iā€™ve actually been looking at the tundra. Competition is good it will make ford get its act together on QC. Not sure if Iā€™ll stick with the ranger long enough to see though.

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
This is a good move for Toyota overall IMO. One of the things they've been trying to do is reduce the total number of engines they manufacture & spread the reduced engine number across as many vehicles as possible. Its a cost saving measure as well as to streamline parts. Think they were making 800+ different engines all over the world before the recent change in strategy. All that is to say these are engines that are used in other vehicles & have some history behind them.

My wife & I recently purchased a 2023 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with a 2.5L NA Hybrid & I freaking love it. While I don't want to completely give up my truck I have to say that I'm not sad when we have to switch vehicles for a time. That engine system has decent power even with the weight & size of the vehicle. We're also getting 35 MPGs out of it which is wild IMO. If I could get that in my truck, like some folks are with the Hybrid Mavericks, I'd be happy as a clam.

That said I'm not an offroader by any means so it really doesn't affect me that much. I'd be curious to see how that system holds up to offroading. However more than likely you'd be aiming for the 2.4L T 4 cyl non-hybrid model they've used to replace their old NA 6 cyl engines.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ė‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
lol I remember when the Ranger came back in 2019 and everyone on Tacoma World was laughing at the 4cyl turbo. I can't wait to hear their excuses now on why the Tacomas 4cyl turbo is so great. ? Let's not forget about the rear drum brakes.:oops:
Cā€˜mon. drum brakes are a solid piece of technology and perfectly ok on the rear axle and more fail-safe than discs. the int. 5g have all drums except the raptor.
but what I want to say, Icomplained about the 6g grill design Before I have seen this ugly piece of vehicle o_O

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Cā€˜mon. drum brakes are a solid piece of technology and perfectly ok on the rear axle and more fail-safe than discs. the int. 5g have all drums except the raptor.
but what I want to say, Icomplained about the 6g grill design Before I have seen this ugly piece of vehicle o_O
I have had multiple drum brake failures not related to normal wear but never a disc brake failure.
Wet drum brakes are just cargo. Wet discs keep working.
The only excuse for rear drums is the parking brake is cheaper and easier.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I have had multiple drum brake failures not related to normal wear but never a disc brake failure.
Wet drum brakes are just cargo. Wet discs keep working.
The only excuse for rear drums is the parking brake is cheaper and easier.
And Burnouts ā€¦..:like:
Sponsored