10R80 paranoia (Forum caused)

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I'm more worried my tailgate damper won't open fast enough in sub-zero temps, while on vacation, where there is frequently sub-zero temps.
Edit: I usually do NOT vacation in areas where there are frequently sub-zero temps.
Sponsored

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Curious question. For those who were having shifting problems, did changing the transmission fluid help? My truck just started having low shifting problems. Last night I turned out of a parking, it felt like the truck stalling, then went back to normal. It did that to me other day too.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
mine does that now and then. feels like the engine dies when trying to take off from a stop. then a couple seconds later it goes back to normal. whatever it is - cant be normal operation. changing fluid and filter did not help. ive had the flashes done more than once and all but the newest tsb done and it keeps doing the same ol 10r80 stuff. recently put aside 7k for a new transmission as it will likely soon be going poof. im at almost 41 k now.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I got really worried, took it to the dealership. They flashed the transmission and it fixed the bucking and jerking, especially on downshifts. The 3-4 gear delay is still there, but everything else went back to normal.

Here's my take, sure there might be problems that happen, but this transmission is in the Ranger, Mustang, F150, and Expedition. As far as I have been able to discern in reading and spec sheets, the mechanical bits are the same for the 10speed in the Colorado/Canyon, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Camaro, Sierra, anything GM with the 10speed. Only differences being electronics as Ford designed the transmission for the 10speed and GM designed the transmission for the 8 speed and they both took each others units and put it in their respective vehicles. So it appears to be a pretty massively used transmission. That doesn't mean ours won't have problems as Ford builds the ones for Ford and GM builds the Ford design for the GM units, but it gave me a big breath of fresh air that if the Cops can pound that transmission into the ground, I am probably ok for a long time driving mine like a grampaw.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
mine does that now and then. feels like the engine dies when trying to take off from a stop. then a couple seconds later it goes back to normal. whatever it is - cant be normal operation. changing fluid and filter did not help. ive had the flashes done more than once and all but the newest tsb done and it keeps doing the same ol 10r80 stuff. recently put aside 7k for a new transmission as it will likely soon be going poof. im at almost 41 k now.
Yeah I looked at the tsb, apparently you need a code to pop before they will replace it. Luckily my warranty is extended. If it gets worse without popping codes. I'll just keep making appointments with them.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Yep, I saw that and it was scary. And they tried to blame it on their truck being an early build or something like that. I know TFL has to play nice if they wanna keep the benefits they have with manufacturers but I thought that breakdown was ridiculous. On a $50,000 truck built for off roading, nonetheless...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Yeah I looked at the tsb, apparently you need a code to pop before they will replace it. Luckily my warranty is extended. If it gets worse without popping codes. I'll just keep making appointments with them.
from what i read and seen the right dealer makes a lot of difference. Some seem very eager to help customers. The ones ive been to seem to be hard set on the hose the customer procedure. I had one tell me my factory warranty was void due to me replacing the factory rear shocks with better ones. direct fit no modification to fit designed for the 5g shocks lol. havent been back to dealer since.

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
I'm ba
Last automatic I owned was a C4 3 speed & don’t know what’s normal with 10R80 10 speed. Reading about problems here in the forum now every hard shift and whining noise is causing me 10R80 paranoia! And dread dealing with TSB 24-2046
I have frequently vomited while anticipating the next shift with mine, but the anxiety medicine seems to help.

outlier

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger and 2008 Honda S2000
Occupation
Old Codger
Last automatic I owned was a C4 3 speed & don’t know what’s normal with 10R80 10 speed. Reading about problems here in the forum now every hard shift and whining noise is causing me 10R80 paranoia! And dread dealing with TSB 24-2046
Glad I am not the only owner being paranoid about any upshift from first to second that is not buttery smooth. Prior trucks and cars have all been stick shifts.

Saucy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor, 2019 Hyundai Kona
Occupation
Software Slave
I'm not paranoid, but I completely realize some abnormality. If I don't give the truck ample to warm up, the first shift (from 1-3) is pretty rough. This is eliminated if I let it idle for a bit before speeding off.

Other weirdness is the very occasional rough downshift when coming to an abrupt stop, but it's so rare I don't think much of it.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
mine has at least one sloppy or scary shift per trip. but still going.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yes that happened to me once!!! I thought the truck just turned off. For about 2, 3 seconds, as i pulled out in traffic!! But just once since then nothing.

But, oh well, i just drive it and do maintenance. If it blows up hopefully while not towing. So.....just like death, it could happen at any moment, but i still maintain fitness and health. Same as the truck. I just do maintenance and any repairs. If it gets stolen, rammed by red light runner, car chase, hurricane, tree falls on it, stolen, teenage kid crashes it parked, fire, blown tire and i flip 20 times after going airborne, yeah lots to think about on how my truck is gonna die

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
From the get-go I can tell you it's definitely a whole different animal compared to the c4. The fact that you have a 10-speed yes the transmission will quote on quote hunt per se if you don't learn how to control your foot especially when trying to find the optimal gear for said conditions. You have a 10 speed that's very close gears. It's not like your three speed that has a far separation. Plan to get used to it

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
But, oh well, i just drive it and do maintenance. If it blows up hopefully while not towing. So.....just like death, it could happen at any moment, but i still maintain fitness and health. Same as the truck. I just do maintenance and any repairs. If it gets stolen, rammed by red light runner, car chase, hurricane, tree falls on it, stolen, teenage kid crashes it parked, fire, blown tire and i flip 20 times after going airborne, yeah lots to think about on how my truck is gonna die
Your forgot bridge collapses from under you.
Sponsored