First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
No they didn’t do anything. The service advisor really didn’t write down the actual issues I had. When I read the report all it’s said was tow mode shifts rough and to look at the service bulletin for front axle not balanced. I had went into way more detail of exactly the issues I had but don’t think those were communicated well to the techs. They told me bulletin didn’t apply to my truck because I fell one number out of the affected range of truck. I asked them to reset my adaptive learning at least and they said they couldn’t without Fords approval. Anyway I when I got home I unhooked the battery for about 15 minutes which in fact does clear any adaptive learning. Three days of the usual weird shifting but the transmission was at least skipping gears like it should. Had a few missed shifts up hills. Two days later and the truck started shifting really well. Has been for about 4 days now. Like when I purchased it.
hopefully yours has no more issues!
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I’m feeling really down on myself and ashamed that my transmission works properly.

Or maybe I just “think” it works properly. Am I one of those Ranger owners, mentioned here, with no nerve endings in my butt and no feeling anywhere else in my body and can’t tell that my transmission is actually acting up?

I think I’ll go drive and try to feel something too. I just want to feel…something. .

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I’m feeling really down on myself and ashamed that my transmission works properly.

Or maybe I just “think” it works properly. Am I one of those Ranger owners, mentioned here, with no nerve endings in my butt and no feeling anywhere else in my body and can’t tell that my transmission is actually acting up?

I think I’ll go drive and try to feel something too. I just want to feel…something. .
You have to smell the oil before you take it for a drive and feel anything. Guess I'm a lucky one too who notices minor things but accept it as normal operating for the Ranger.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Not shifting for a whole city block (stuck between gears) is not normal. It would increase revs but slow down until it “caught” a gear before.

If that is, my “abnornal“ 10R80 is now functioning properly after a re-learn.

Something in the software is making these shift worse and worse over time. Why else would mine slip when using cruise control (only when going up steep hills) but not do it after a relearn?

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor

When the unit fails after say, 95-160k miles, are you OK with footing the bill if there is a design flaw with the transmission?

Many of us, myself included, rely on this vehicle to go to project sites, out of state, many 100’s (to thousands) of miles a trip.

If the 10R80 decided to go out while I’m on a large project where big $$$ is at stake, does Ford get me a hotel and plane ticket back home?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Oh now you've jinxed yourself...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When the unit fails after say, 95-160k miles, are you OK with footing the bill if there is a design flaw with the transmission?

Many of us, myself included, rely on this vehicle to go to project sites, out of state, many 100’s (to thousands) of miles a trip.

If the 10R80 decided to go out while I’m on a large project where big $$$ is at stake, does Ford get me a hotel and plane ticket back home?
Nope...if you find different, then I'd like to know and get my $6K back...

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Spend 10 minutes on Auto tempest.com and you will see dozens and dozens of Rangers for sale with over 100,000 miles. There is no widespread design flaw with this transmission. Are there some that have given problems, yes. I myself I’m going to do fluid filter changes every 50,000 miles even though I have a 20 year 200,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Spend 10 minutes on Auto tempest.com and you will see dozens and dozens of Rangers for sale with over 100,000 miles. There is no widespread design flaw with this transmission. Are there some that have given problems, yes. I myself I’m going to do fluid filter changes every 50,000 miles even though I have a 20 year 200,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Wish I had done that...what a warranty like that cost?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I had done that...what a warranty like that cost?
Golden Circle Ford in Jackson TN offers that on every new Ford sold at no additional cost and has for 8-10 years now. Other dealerships in our area advertise “free lifetime powertrain warranty.”

Who knows if it’s worth the paper it’s printed on but I’ve got the 12 pages of paperwork in a file and all I have to do, supposedly, is keep a record of oil change receipts.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Here is my opinion, and only my opinion. The trans itself is solid, but the heavy weight of the truck plus the presumably higher stall converter Ford has chosen creates a lot of heat. That combined with questionable learning logic in the transmission controller create unpredictable results.

If I didn’t have mine reset, I’m sure it would have burnt clutches and destroyed itself by now. It was so bad that shitting into reverse from Park would squeal the tires as it was delayed and went into gear with a bang.

I don’t doubt the Ford 10R80 is a fine piece of equipment, but the way it is deployed in our trucks is questionable. Ansel Adams didn’t have an amazing digital camera, but took better pictures than all of us could.

Good hardware + poor implementation is usually worse than the other way around.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my opinion, and only my opinion. The trans itself is solid, but the heavy weight of the truck plus the presumably higher stall converter Ford has chosen creates a lot of heat. That combined with questionable learning logic in the transmission controller create unpredictable results.

If I didn’t have mine reset, I’m sure it would have burnt clutches and destroyed itself by now. It was so bad that shitting into reverse from Park would squeal the tires as it was delayed and went into gear with a bang.

I don’t doubt the Ford 10R80 is a fine piece of equipment, but the way it is deployed in our trucks is questionable. Ansel Adams didn’t have an amazing digital camera, but took better pictures than all of us could.

Good hardware + poor implementation is usually worse than the other way around.
You have some kind of problem with your particular unit and have spent way too much time thinking and stressing over it. Just stay on them until it’s fixed.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
You have some kind of problem with your particular unit and have spent way too much time thinking and stressing over it. Just stay on them until it’s fixed.
Is this supposed to be directed at another person? My unit is driving perfectly after the re-learn.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
100K miles may be a milestone but def not considered high mileage in my book. Vehicles in the past have 3x that amount. A bunch of used Rangers for sale on a website doesn't equate to them all being reliable vehicles. What prompted them to sell those Rangers in the 1st place. If I had something working really well then I would certainly keep it, especially in today's market
Sponsored