Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Some of these issues could just be fluid level getting too low.
I bought my '19 a year and a half ago with 18K on it.
I've since put another 24K on it and it has shifted very smoothly up until recently.

I had been planning to do the fluid and filter swap at 50K, but have had a few clunks and rough shifts in the last couple weeks, so decided to check the fluid level.
When checked hot, engine running, shifting to reverse, back to park, etc., the fluid was barely touching the dipstick.
I added 1.5 quarts and the trans is back to it's previous smoothness.
Where did the fluid go?
Sponsored

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Could be that is was a bit low when new, and it didn't take much more of a loss for minor issues to appear.
I don't think for a minute that 1.5 quarts just evaporated from friction over 43K of use, but an amount like 1/2 quart ? Why not ?

I bought the truck with 18K on it, but didn't check the trans fluid when I got it, so I'll never know if it started out full.
The story was, the truck had been driven by a manager at one of their other locations, and was as "new" of a used truck as can be. All of the easily accessible fluids were right on, so I had no reason to suspect the tranny fluid might be low.

I've read other transmission threads on here where others have gotten around to checking their fluid levels, and many were low, and had less miles on their trucks than mine.
So I don't think I'm the only one.
Gonna check the differential fluid today, if it's not full, don't ask me where it went, your guess is as good as mine !

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Mine was almost a quart low from the factory.
Post on another thread but is it possible that Ford has outsourced the tranny fill function to nearby Jiffy Lube shops ? Pretty lame when Ford talks about quality and cannot properly fill transmissions.
Maybe that new quality honcho at Ford needs to provide his direct contact info so he gets feedback on where to start looking for quality issues to fix.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Jiffy Lube would probably check the tranny level with engine off...hmmm what could go wrong? ?
Sponsored