10R80 paranoia (Forum caused)

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
While the 10 speed was a joint design project between GM and Ford, the internals are far from interchangeable. Even the transmissions between the Ranger, Mustang, F150 and other uses have some differences. Mainly in the clutches, things like number of disks. And yes, GM and Ford did their own programming, which is probably model specific also. So, direct comparisons can only VERY generally be made. But, it is true the Ford 10 speed has been and is out there for a while in hundreds of thousands of vehicles. It does seem to have some weaknesses that are just showing up, on a few of them. Hopefully Ford will step up and correct them.

Full disclaimer: I have a 2019 XLT FX4 with 34K. I have had NO issues with my transmission. It is a little rough on the first shifts on a cold morning if I don't let it warm up a little. Mine does NOT lug in town, I do know what lugging sounds and feels like, I have driven standards all my life. I have the FitzStick dip stick and plan on the PPE Pan when I change the fluid and filter a 35K. I do not believe the Ford recommended interval of 150K is reasonable for longevity.
The weaknesses showed right after they were introduced a few years ago and continue. This is across models. It did not take time.
Sponsored