First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Oh, I understand that, but looking at the spread of issues people are having across all models with this transmission, I'd say they really dropped the ball on this one.

BTW, even the Maverick guys are having issues (and it is a different transmission and drivetrain [FWD based]):

Search results for query: transmission issues | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions
I hate to say it but I'm losing faith in Ford. It seems like every single model/line they have has way to many issues now. Which is somewhat understandable being a massed produced vehicle but they're not fixing these problems. New, old redesign nothing seems to be working right ever since Covid which I still think is and excuse for everyone still.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
its a draw if you get a good one or not with most cars and trucks. I decided im gonna drive mine like nothings wrong with the karen for another 500. dealer said 500 to 1000. I know the problem is still present. however, i think in driving it more one of two things will happen. by some miracle it does get better :giggle: or it gets worse which pushes the issue at hand in giving me a new / rebuilt transmission.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Mine had the harsh shift, the confused shift, dealer updated it.... the wife goes "it's worse than before" I had to agree.

Now, it has such a delayed engagement into drive you can rev it up a few times before it will move the truck:curse:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I hate to say it but I'm losing faith in Ford. It seems like every single model/line they have has way to many issues now. Which is somewhat understandable being a massed produced vehicle but they're not fixing these problems. New, old redesign nothing seems to be working right ever since Covid which I still think is and excuse for everyone still.
That is my biggest issue. They are not fixing the problems. It is like everyone is putting their future eggs in the EV basket and just running out the ICE lines to end of life before the EV version is ready.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
gave the 5g another work out today about 350 miles. 5 hours off it off road on slow trails. didnt get past second gear the entire 5 hours. drove fine once back on pavement. even down shifted nicer. maybe it just needed a reprimand lol.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So, I just turned 1000 miles since my last tune revision where I worked with Torrie at Unleashed more on the shifting (This is the latest revision that many of you are trying I believe. Basically normal mode has tow mode shift points and sport mode firmness and quickness without the excessive engine braking of the two. The sport mode firmness/quickness are across the board with all modes as well.). I have been very dilligent with how I drive during that time to try to overcome Ford's adaptive strategy of picking the worst of our driving habits to base its shift strategy on instead of the best. I ran it with traction control/advance trac off as this seems to make a difference and I locked out any gears I did not need in given situations to force it to learn my way.

I can report that for two weeks now, with weather patterns ranging from 70 degree days to 30's and snowing, that I have not had any abnormal cold/first shifts in any gears, especially the ones that cause people the most trouble (3-4 and 4-5). This with varying warm up times from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Shifting up and down in all situations have been perfect.

I am not sure if this is something that actually worked or not, but in my experience my process helped. It may have worked with me just driving normally and it is all attributed to the tune revision I worked on with Torrie. I just thought, for experimentation's sake, that I would try to do things differently to get the adaptive algorithm to follow my lead for once.

Fingers crossed. Worked hard on this...

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
And today the sloppy laggy thunky shifts are back. when i spent most of the day driving and the truck was doing truck stuff the transmission (Karen) was great the rest of the day. sat over night and an evening of around town and its back to Karen mode.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
And today the sloppy laggy thunky shifts are back. when i spent most of the day driving and the truck was doing truck stuff the transmission (Karen) was great the rest of the day. sat over night and an evening of around town and its back to Karen mode.
You could try unhooking your battery for 15 minutes. This resets the adaptive learning. Just be sure to leave the car off for at least two minutes with nothing running prior. Talk about this in the manual. This cleaned up my shifting a lot. Took a few days though but now tow mode and sport shift like they should. Had a few days of learning shifting and now it seems much better. I have an appointment this weekend to look at Frontiers so I will just have to see how things are going come Saturday. Still do have the droning noise 50-60 mph but for the last few day’s transmission has at least been better.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
You could try unhooking your battery for 15 minutes. This resets the adaptive learning. Just be sure to leave the car off for at least two minutes with nothing running prior. Talk about this in the manual. This cleaned up my shifting a lot. Took a few days though but now tow mode and sport shift like they should. Had a few days of learning shifting and now it seems much better. I have an appointment this weekend to look at Frontiers so I will just have to see how things are going come Saturday. Still do have the droning noise 50-60 mph but for the last few day’s transmission has at least been better.
thank you !

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
karen is more sloppy than ever today. 30 mph and its 8th gear . try to gently accelerate and it bogs and lags... the 1000 mile thing almost done. so i guess once the pinon issue is fixed it can back to the dealer for karen round two. brakes feel like warped rotors when slowing down now. ? never ends i guess.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
This is a really sad thread.
I''l(wife) just drive mine till it get's Msfitoy'ed.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
This is a really sad thread.
I''l(wife) just drive mine till it get's Msfitoy'ed.
great quote you have

In a world where you can choose to be anything, choose to be kind.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
karen is more sloppy than ever today. 30 mph and its 8th gear . try to gently accelerate and it bogs and lags... the 1000 mile thing almost done. so i guess once the pinon issue is fixed it can back to the dealer for karen round two. brakes feel like warped rotors when slowing down now. ? never ends i guess.
Yeah try the battery reset and give it a week. I’m thinking the adaptive learning has trouble sometimes. It’s weird to unhook the battery just make sure you let the truck sit off for at least 2 minutes before doing it. I read in the manual that unhooking it quicker can cause issues which maybe is why mine was weird after the first time I did it. Who knows at this point. It took about 3 days before shifts smoothed out after the reset but it made a huge difference. Night and day. Not saying it’ll work but worth a shot if it saves you another trip back to the dealer. I’ve also been driving more in sport and tow and they now drive like they should. Who knows though maybe the weird shifting will come back for me if I decide to keep the truck. Right now I’m just trying to not think about the truck but it’s hard lol.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Yeah try the battery reset and give it a week. I’m thinking the adaptive learning has trouble sometimes. It’s weird to unhook the battery just make sure you let the truck sit off for at least 2 minutes before doing it. I read in the manual that unhooking it quicker can cause issues which maybe is why mine was weird after the first time I did it. Who knows at this point. It took about 3 days before shifts smoothed out after the reset but it made a huge difference. Night and day. Not saying it’ll work but worth a shot if it saves you another trip back to the dealer. I’ve also been driving more in sport and tow and they now drive like they should. Who knows though maybe the weird shifting will come back for me if I decide to keep the truck. Right now I’m just trying to not think about the truck but it’s hard lol.
did the dealers do the valve body swap to your truck ?

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
did the dealers do the valve body swap to your truck ?
No they didn’t do anything. The service advisor really didn’t write down the actual issues I had. When I read the report all it’s said was tow mode shifts rough and to look at the service bulletin for front axle not balanced. I had went into way more detail of exactly the issues I had but don’t think those were communicated well to the techs. They told me bulletin didn’t apply to my truck because I fell one number out of the affected range of truck. I asked them to reset my adaptive learning at least and they said they couldn’t without Fords approval. Anyway I when I got home I unhooked the battery for about 15 minutes which in fact does clear any adaptive learning. Three days of the usual weird shifting but the transmission was at least skipping gears like it should. Had a few missed shifts up hills. Two days later and the truck started shifting really well. Has been for about 4 days now. Like when I purchased it.
Sponsored