Who else is planning to lower their Ranger ?

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
The
This kit raises a lot of questions not answered on the website or install manual.

With a 4" drop, will the front now be higher than the rear?? Just the opposite of what we have now... and look as goofy as can be.
Yes, there is a 2" front / 4" rear drop kit, which is good, so in theory we're back to level but lower??
The 2" drop up front is achieved by moving the bottom of the spring mount farther down the strut... me thinks. OK, what does that do the geometry of the 4WD axle shafts?? (if anything).
How does this effect towing capabilities (just towed for the first time in the Gen 5 Ranger last week... worked perfectly... don't want to jinks it).

I am looking forward to seeing JCruz's install. Not sure I want to lower the front as well but could be an acceptable option if everything else are non-issues.
The front struts are adjustable from zero to 2.8 inches of drop. You will be able to achieve several heights in the front. If you download the install instructions, you will find out all you need to know about what amount of lowering is possible with the strut kit. They have developed a very simple and clever method of height adjustment. I have the struts and they are extremely well built.
Sponsored

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I've done things like that before Justin. It's never worked out really well for me. :)
I hear ya, friend! I am just kidding! I spent all my play money on guns and ammo recently. Going to have to wait a bit for the lowering kit. Likely be ready to take the leap by September.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I am not ready to purchase yet but, when I am I will contact Belltech and ask any of my pertinent questions. No offence but, I think you guys need to contact them and ask all of your questions. If Belltech is willing we would love to have a representative visit the forum to promote their product and answer any questions.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I hear ya, friend! I am just kidding! I spent all my play money on guns and ammo recently. Going to have to wait a bit for the lowering kit. Likely be ready to take the leap by September.
I'd love to find some ammo. Around my area you have to be lucky, and hit the gun shop just after they've received a delivery. It gets sucked up fast.

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
The 2" drop up front is achieved by moving the bottom of the spring mount farther down the strut... me thinks. OK, what does that do the geometry of the 4WD axle shafts?? (if anything).
How does this effect towing capabilities (just towed for the first time in the Gen 5 Ranger last week... worked perfectly... don't want to jinks it).
In the instructions for the front lowering struts, they put a disclaimer about "4x4's may experience some vibration above 70 mph", "don't use 4H above 50 mph", and "damage may occur to the 4 wheel drive".
And until they find a solution to these problems, I'm out....I guess I shoulda bought a 2WD...:crying:

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
In the instructions for the front lowering struts, they put a disclaimer about "4x4's may experience some vibration above 70 mph", "don't use 4H above 50 mph", and "damage may occur to the 4 wheel drive".
And until they find a solution to these problems, I'm out....I guess I shoulda bought a 2WD...:crying:
Yep. I found the second install manual for the front and see the notes. I'm with you, vibrations at 70 and increased wear just won't fly. Have to wait it out and see if these get resolved.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I am going to take a different route, (I am a 4x4) I got a pair of cheap global multi leaf springs from the UK and will send them out for de-arcing, a local spring shop will do it for $150 each, I dont want to do it to the factory Tremor springs.
The springs are really different between the Tremor and the Wildtrack, so far I think the Wildtrack springs are better on almost all bumps and road conditions, except the expansion joints on the highways, they may be more harsh than the Tremor springs.
I may start a post about them and see if anyone who knows leaf spring design can chime in on the differences between them.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Before anyone busts me up for lowering the back of a 4x4 instead of raising the front (caught total crap from the Raptor crowd when I did it) I have a horribly bad back and a very heavy ebike, at 130lbs I need the tailgate as low as possible for loading and unloading.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Before anyone busts me up for lowering the back of a 4x4 instead of raising the front (caught total crap from the Raptor crowd when I did it) I have a horribly bad back and a very heavy ebike, at 130lbs I need the tailgate as low as possible for loading and unloading.
You know, the people that give other people crap about the choices made by other people on their vehicles, let's just say that I cannot use the proper description on this forum.

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to take a different route, (I am a 4x4) I got a pair of cheap global multi leaf springs from the UK and will send them out for de-arcing, a local spring shop will do it for $150 each, I dont want to do it to the factory Tremor springs.
The springs are really different between the Tremor and the Wildtrack, so far I think the Wildtrack springs are better on almost all bumps and road conditions, except the expansion joints on the highways, they may be more harsh than the Tremor springs.
I may start a post about them and see if anyone who knows leaf spring design can chime in on the differences between them.
Please keep us updated on this ^^ and where you've gotten all of the goodies to do so. If there are any specs as to how much re-arching is done, that info would be very appreciated !! If I can't fully lower my truck, brining the rear down 2-3" would be a good compromise :thumbsup:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you get it figured out with the other springs I'd be interested in your Tremor springs.

Reactions: Doc

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I too would like to lower the ass end of the Ranger, but having developed the SCCA Race Trucks, the flip kit is something I need to review. On the SCCA Race Trucks, we deleted the multileaf pack and went to a custom Monoleaf from the Ford OEM suppliers prototype shop...(nice to have access to this, eh?) Not sure about Belltech or Freak Ride...So sitting on the sidelines

Steve Saleen at speed in one of the trucks I built ... This is the look I want... nothing out there to accomplish this yet...and maybe never will. Slamming a truck that does not handle is not my cup of tea...

SaleenRacetruck.jpeg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Nascar trucks are slammed pretty low and handle really well!!

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I've started work on my version 2 at the back.

After about 25k miles on my lowered Ranger, one of the re-arched OEM mono leafs broke at a manufacturing flaw in the spring.

I've bought 3 oem spec leaf springs from (don't laugh) a later AMC Pacer. Dimensionally a near perfect fit but with huge arch abd much softer.

The arch gives me plenty of room for the flipped axle, the 3rd spring and long, soft leafs give me plenty of options to stiffen the rate to something more appropriate for the Ranger.

The plan is to balance ride height and stiffness to keep my lowered stance and soften the bone jarring ride.

V 2.0 at the front will use custom coils, longer and softer than OEM again to keep lowered stance and improve the ride.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I've started work on my version 2 at the back.

After about 25k miles on my lowered Ranger, one of the re-arched OEM mono leafs broke at a manufacturing flaw in the spring.

I've bought 3 oem spec leaf springs from (don't laugh) a later AMC Pacer. Dimensionally a near perfect fit but with huge arch abd much softer.

The arch gives me plenty of room for the flipped axle, the 3rd spring and long, soft leafs give me plenty of options to stiffen the rate to something more appropriate for the Ranger.

The plan is to balance ride height and stiffness to keep my lowered stance and soften the bone jarring ride.

V 2.0 at the front will use custom coils, longer and softer than OEM again to keep lowered stance and improve the ride.
I appreciate your ingenuity! My Ranger is a daily driver and my time is limited but I would love to try fabricating like you do! Please keep us informed on V2.0!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc